2 2
billvon

Tariffs

billvon

>it You been a chicken little cheerleader on this site many times.

it You sad you no get FOX News on your side any more!

Huh?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Trade war with China. Check.
Trade war with Canada. Check.

And let’s add Europe to that list with a 25% tariff on importing steel and aluminum which potentially puts upto 470,000 US jobs at risk.

The Trade Partnership’s March 5 policy brief to examine the potential net impacts on U.S. jobs across all industries of retaliation threatened by U.S. trading partners in response to the imposition of U.S. steel and aluminum tariffs. We find that the tariffs would result in a net loss of nearly 470,000 U.S. jobs after accounting for positive impacts on U.S. steel and aluminum producers. Overall, more than 18 jobs would be lost for every one gained.

http://tradepartnership.com/reports/the-estimated-impacts-of-tariffs-on-steel-and-aluminum-2018/

Such a cunning plan! The man’s a dealing genius!

Did Trade Tariffs Cause the Great Depression?
http://fortune.com/2018/03/04/did-tariffs-cause-the-great-depression/

Signs are growing for a global trade war that could trigger a recession, Deutsche Bank says
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/signs-growing-for-global-trade-war-that-could-trigger-recession-deutsche-bank.html

Donald Trump's Trade War Will Cause 'Deep' Global Recession, Says WTO Director
http://www.newsweek.com/trade-war-donald-trump-recession-tariffs-steel-831499

War is not to be trifled with. But trump has stated more than once that he "likes war". Oh well, decisions have consequences.

The president today explained why he is so upset with Canadian Tariffs.

Apparently it causes us to go and buy American products. Clearly that should be ended.

"The tariffs to get common items back into Canada are so high that they have to smuggle them in. They buy shoes, then they wear them. They scuff them up. They make them sound old or look old... We can no longer be the stupid country. We want to be the smart country.”

Next thing you know, we eat American food and stay in American hotels when we are in the US. I understand the outrage.

SkyDekker

The president today explained why he is so upset with Canadian Tariffs.

Apparently it causes us to go and buy American products. Clearly that should be ended.

"The tariffs to get common items back into Canada are so high that they have to smuggle them in. They buy shoes, then they wear them. They scuff them up. They make them sound old or look old... We can no longer be the stupid country. We want to be the smart country.”

Next thing you know, we eat American food and stay in American hotels when we are in the US. I understand the outrage.

There's an Irish-American smuggling ring operating just under our noses that's bringing in things to Canada like hamburgers and ice cream (if the machine isn't broken). If you see a restaurant with golden arches beware! They even have a secret window on the side to discretely pass their goods in exchange for currency.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44582481

"Based on the Tariffs and Trade Barriers long placed on the U.S. and it great companies and workers by the European Union, if these Tariffs and Barriers are not soon broken down and removed, we will be placing a 20% Tariff on all of their cars coming into the U.S. Build them here!"

:|

Take away the tarrifs on my stuff that you raised in retribution to ones I introduced initially, or I'll levy more on yours...

He's a spoiled, petulant child.

yoink

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44582481

"Based on the Tariffs and Trade Barriers long placed on the U.S. and it great companies and workers by the European Union, if these Tariffs and Barriers are not soon broken down and removed, we will be placing a 20% Tariff on all of their cars coming into the U.S. Build them here!"

Yeah, as if tariffs have no effect on anything else that has to do with building a car. Increased steel costs lead to increased car prices. Then, of course, the cars won't be exported (i.e., SOLD), because of the tariffs still in place in the countries that used to buy our cars.

Just because it's made here, doesn't mean it can only make money here. :S
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Yeah, as if tariffs have no effect on anything else that has to do with building a car. Increased steel costs lead to increased car prices. Then, of course, the cars won't be exported (i.e., SOLD), because of the tariffs still in place in the countries that used to buy our cars.

Trump must just not be edumacated enough to understand all that arrogant ivory tower sequential thinking. But since he won the presidency, such thinking is now politically incorrect and will not be tolerated. Sound bite thinking is our new standard; if you can't express a thought in 140 characters, it is too complex and elitist to fit into our national discourse.

I have exactly zero trust in the Cheetoh in Chief to refrain from manufacturing a stock market crash in order to create a fantastic investment opportunity for those who can weather the recession with stacks of cash to spare.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Harley-Davidson, once an American icon, will be moving more and more of its production overseas as a result of Trump's trade war. What will go next? IBM? Ford? GE?

============================
Harley, stung by tariffs, shifts some production overseas

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Harley-Davidson, up against spiraling costs from tariffs, will begin to shift the production of motorcycles headed for Europe from the U.S. to factories overseas.

The European Union on Friday began rolling out tariffs on American imports like bourbon, peanut butter and orange juice. The EU tariffs on $3.4 billion worth of U.S. products are retaliation for duties the Trump administration is imposing on European steel and aluminum.

President Donald Trump has used Harley-Davidson as an example of a U.S. business that is being harmed by trade barriers. Yet Harley has warned consistently against tariffs, saying they would negatively impact sales.

Harley-Davidson Inc. sold almost 40,000 motorcycles in the European Union last year, generating revenue second only to the United States, according to the Milwaukee company.

The maker of the iconic American motorcycle said in a regulatory filing Monday that EU tariffs on its motorcycles exported from the U.S. jumped between 6 percent and 31 percent, which translates into an additional, incremental cost of about $2,200 per average motorcycle exported from the U.S. to the EU.
=============================

"Hey, thanks for voting for Trump! We're sending your job to India."

phantomII

Don't worry, just remember, trade wars are easy to win.

There will be so much winning. The people will get tired of all the winning.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

billvon

Trump must just not be edumacated enough to understand all that arrogant ivory tower sequential thinking. But since he won the presidency, such thinking is now politically incorrect and will not be tolerated. Sound bite thinking is our new standard; if you can't express a thought in 140 characters, it is too complex and elitist to fit into our national discourse.
Um... I did. No way my post was more than 140! ;)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

billvon

Harley-Davidson, once an American icon, will be moving more and more of its production overseas as a result of Trump's trade war. What will go next?

Real question is how long 'til Trump is tweeting about how slow, unreliable and "sad!" Harleys are these days ;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Real question is how long 'til Trump is tweeting about how slow, unreliable and "sad!" Harleys are these days

Yep. He's already done it with the NFL. Anyone who opposes his rule, basically.

Edited to add - and next will be cheese. From NYT:
=================================
Trump’s Trade War Could Shut Cheesemakers Out of Foreign Markets

With other countries raising tariffs to American products and signing trade deals without the United States, the American cheesemaker is increasingly standing alone.

By Ana Swanson
June 24, 2018

PLYMOUTH, Wis. — It’s a common observation here that you can’t turn off the cows — not for Christmas, and not for a trade war.

So as President Trump’s aggressive trade measures prompt other countries to retaliate with barriers to American goods, dairy farmers and cheesemakers in the rolling, bright green hills of Wisconsin are growing anxious about what will happen to all of the milk and cheese they churn out and typically sell overseas.

“If export markets get shut off, I could see us getting to the point where we’re dumping our milk in the fields,” said Jeff Schwager, the president of Sartori Company, which has produced cheese in a nearby town for generations with milk it purchases from more than 100 dairy farms throughout Wisconsin. “It’ll be a big ripple effect through the state.”
===================================

No wonder the stock market is taking a dive.

If export markets get shut off, I could see us getting to the point where we’re dumping our milk in the fields,” said Jeff Schwager, the president of Sartori Company, which has produced cheese in a nearby town for generations with milk it purchases from more than 100 dairy farms throughout Wisconsin.

To be fair, that's a bad example. I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge that American cheese is made from recycled plastic, and has no connection to dairy farming:D

To be fair, that's a bad example. I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge that American cheese is made from recycled plastic, and has no connection to dairy farming.

Ever been to Wisconsin? I have. They have dozens of small high quality cheese producers. And some pretty good medium sized plants as well. It's not all about "processed cheese food".
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

To be fair, that's a bad example. I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge that American cheese is made from recycled plastic, and has no connection to dairy farming.

Ever been to Wisconsin? I have. They have dozens of small high quality cheese producers.

No doubt. I don't think that's the export stuff they're talking about though.

I live about 30 miles away from Cheddar Gorge and trust me, every block of vacuum packed pseudo-food the yanks produce under that name is an insult to this rural idyll that I call home:P (And don't even get me started on why they dye it red. When has it ever been red?)

You Canucks do some decent stuff though, you can keep going.

And the market reacts.
==========================
This 501-day trading streak for the Dow just came to a screeching halt

Published: June 25, 2018 4:42 p.m. ET
Market Watch

An uncanny streak for the Dow Jones Industrial Average, which had underlined its bullish momentum, ended on Monday, signaling that a bearish turn may be at hand.

The Dow DJIA, -1.33% closed sharply lower, falling around 328 points, or 1.3%, to 24,252.80, below its 200-day moving average, which stood at 24,280.02. That represents the first close below the average since the summer of 2016, when the U.K. vote to exit from the European Union sent shivers through global markets.

According to Bespoke Investment Group, “the Dow hasn’t closed below its 200-day moving average for 501 consecutive trading days going back almost two years exactly to June 27, 2016 (when the market reacted negatively to the UK Brexit vote).”

Technical traders use moving averages to help gauge an asset’s long-term and short-term momentum. Equity investors have been spooked by the prospect of a full-blown trade war between the U.S. and China.
=======================
Trade war fears spread to tech and Dow sheds 328 points
by Matt Egan @MattEganCNN
June 25, 2018: 4:17 PM ET

Tech stocks suffered their worst day in more than two months on Monday after reports that President Donald Trump plans to crack down on Chinese investment in major technologies in the United States.

The Nasdaq dropped 2.1%. Major chip makers including Nvidia (NVDA), Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and Marvell (MRVL) tumbled more than 4% apiece.

Even this year's tech all-stars retreated sharply. Netflix (NFLX) plunged more than 6%, while Twitter (TWTR) and Amazon (AMZN) lost more than 3%.

The Dow shed 328 points, or 1.3%, and was down almost 500 points at one point.

"The biggest tax involved with tariffs is uncertainty. Everybody freezes," said David Kelly, chief global strategist at JPMorgan Funds.

Kelly said that the United States is now working on "trade conflicts on multiple fronts," and failure to reach resolutions could lead to "constant conflict for potentially years to come."

Until recently, the tech sector had been mostly spared from the trade worries on Wall Street. The Nasdaq hit a record high as recently as last week.

The tech sell-off followed reports that Trump plans to restrict Chinese investment in "industrially significant technology."
===========================

You Canucks do some decent stuff though, you can keep going.

I like my cheddar sharp. But yes, even here it is orange coloured for some strange reason. But at least I can spell coloured even though spell check objects.

>Back to school with you

"And don't even get me started on why they dye it red. When has it ever been red?"

Ironically that article also answers the question you asked - "And don't even get me started on why they dye it red. When has it ever been red?"