2 2
billvon

Tariffs

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Sure.  Can't see how that deficit will benefit us in the long run, though - and historically, trade wars do not result in benefits for the protectionist country.  And at this point in our history, the most likely outcome from Trump's isolation of the US from trade is that a more open country - like China - will take world leadership in trade.  That is not a good thing for the US.

We shall see.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Sure.  Can't see how that deficit will benefit us in the long run, though - and historically, trade wars do not result in benefits for the protectionist country.  And at this point in our history, the most likely outcome from Trump's isolation of the US from trade is that a more open country - like China - will take world leadership in trade.  That is not a good thing for the US.

And don't forget that China is the largest single holder of US debt.  Pissing off your creditors is not generally a "winning" tactic.

Just found out that a Brazilian owned hog farm is a big benefit of all this farm aid.

Greeley Tribune:

================

Meat packing giant JBS USA getting millions in subsidies meant for farmers impacted by trade war

AP | Greeley Tribune

The U.S. Department of Agriculture plans to purchase $22.3 million of pork from Greeley-based JBS USA, which is owned by JBS SA, a Brazil-based company.

================

Since then the US government has purchased an additional $45 million, and then another $28 million in unneeded meat from the Brazilian company.  Another $95 million from your pocket into Brazil's

At least Brazil is making a killing on all these tariffs. 

(edited)
46 minutes ago, billvon said:

Just found out that a Brazilian owned hog farm is a big benefit of all this farm aid.

Greeley Tribune:

================

Meat packing giant JBS USA getting millions in subsidies meant for farmers impacted by trade war

AP | Greeley Tribune

The U.S. Department of Agriculture plans to purchase $22.3 million of pork from Greeley-based JBS USA, which is owned by JBS SA, a Brazil-based company.

================

Since then the US government has purchased an additional $45 million, and then another $28 million in unneeded meat from the Brazilian company.  Another $95 million from your pocket into Brazil's

At least Brazil is making a killing on all these tariffs. 

they can definitely use it.

Perhaps they can improve their educational system.

Edited by turtlespeed

6 hours ago, kallend said:

And don't forget that China is the largest single holder of US debt.  Pissing off your creditors is not generally a "winning" tactic.

The US is by far the largest holder of US debt. The Chinese may be the largest foreign holder. They have to put it somewhere and there is no better place.

10 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

they can definitely use it.

Perhaps they can improve their educational system.

Brazil's educational system has in large part been ruined by a focus on the Brazilian equivalent of charter schools, and "school choice." So the poor schools get minimal funding, and the students suffer. But no one really cares, because the people with power get more.

Just as the free-ish public universities are entirely merit-based, with an entrance exam. Sounds good, right? But that means that the richer students, who went to better schools, and can afford an exam tutor or exam preparation class will do better. The poorer students get to go to the (not free) private universities. Which they can't afford.

My family has extensive connections there.

Wendy P

53 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Brazil's educational system has in large part been ruined by a focus on the Brazilian equivalent of charter schools, and "school choice." So the poor schools get minimal funding, and the students suffer. But no one really cares, because the people with power get more.

Just as the free-ish public universities are entirely merit-based, with an entrance exam. Sounds good, right? But that means that the richer students, who went to better schools, and can afford an exam tutor or exam preparation class will do better. The poorer students get to go to the (not free) private universities. Which they can't afford.

My family has extensive connections there.

Wendy P

You mean kind of like here?

9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

The US is by far the largest holder of US debt. The Chinese may be the largest foreign holder. They have to put it somewhere and there is no better place.

China would be more than stupid to sell off the debt.  It would make their currency much stronger and make exporting their goods much more expensive.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:35 AM, kallend said:

According to the Federal Reserve, Trump's tariffs will cost the average US household $831 this year.

And contrary to the Liar in Chief's claim, US taxpayers, not China, will bear the cost of the $16B bailout of farmers.

And that money he promised to the farmers?  From the tariffs.  So in essence, POTUS supports redistribution of wealth in this country.

12 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

It would appear so - but only to his voting bases.

Hey Turtle,

have your views on Trump changed? I think you’d said you voted because he was ‘less bad’ than Hillary. So from that I don’t see you as a Trump fan regardless.

On 5/27/2019 at 10:35 AM, kallend said:

According to the Federal Reserve, Trump's tariffs will cost the average US household $831 this year.

And contrary to the Liar in Chief's claim, US taxpayers, not China, will bear the cost of the $16B bailout of farmers.

I think they will have to do their sums again as Trump has now declared that he is imposing 5% Tariff on all Mexican imports unless the Mexicans halt illeagle imigration. 

However, if Trump is not satisfied, the 5% figure will increase to 10% on 1 July, to 15% on 1 August, to 20% on 1 September and to 25% on 1 October.

Does this blow the USMCA out of the water or is the USMCA still waiting to be ratified.

Link from The Guardian -  

4 hours ago, nigel99 said:

Hey Turtle,

have your views on Trump changed? I think you’d said you voted because he was ‘less bad’ than Hillary. So from that I don’t see you as a Trump fan regardless.

I didn't vote for Trump.

I am not a Trump fan.

And he remains 'Less Bad' than Hillary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScottishJohn said:

I think they will have to do their sums again as Trump has now declared that he is imposing 5% Tariff on all Mexican imports unless the Mexicans halt illeagle imigration. 

However, if Trump is not satisfied, the 5% figure will increase to 10% on 1 July, to 15% on 1 August, to 20% on 1 September and to 25% on 1 October.

Does this blow the USMCA out of the water or is the USMCA still waiting to be ratified.

Link from The Guardian -  

So Trump is going to tax Americans until Mexico stops allowing people from Central America to exercise their legal right to seek admission to the United States.  Yes, I can see how that is logical.

14 minutes ago, kallend said:

So Trump is going to tax Americans until Mexico stops allowing people from Central America to exercise their legal right to seek admission to the United States.  Yes, I can see how that is logical.

At a time when America is trying to secure a trade deal with China they have just shown China that any trade deal made with the Trump Administration is not worth the paper it is printed on as America will move the goal posts at the whim of its  petulent leader .

John