ryoder

The NRA Says It’s in Deep Financial Trouble, May Be ‘Unable to Exist’

billvon

>Did you read what was written...I have highlighted the time line to make it easier for you.

I think Joe's point was that it was a concealed weapon, so as far as the thief knew it was just some guy coming over. Until he pulled it out, that is - which was after the hitting of people started.

Bingo. Thank you.

I find it interesting that people are blaming the guy with the gun for the actions of the thief.

Even if the guy with the gun had been brandishing it on approach to the car thief, it still would have been assault/attempted murder to try to run someone down.

There are lots of cases where someone drives quickly towards a cop (or more than one), maybe not even directly. They often get shot. The cop 'feared for his (her) life and responded with deadly force.
Sometimes it's apparent that the driver was trying to run over the cop, others it's pretty clear they weren't, but were just trying to get away.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

jcd11235

***a car with brains all over the interior will be written off.

And taken to Monster Joe's, right after a cup of serious gourmet shit.

:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

jcd11235

***a car with brains all over the interior will be written off.

And taken to Monster Joe's, right after a cup of serious gourmet shit.

Well, after someone has to be in the back seat, on 'Brain Detail' picking up all the itty bitty pieces of skull.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

wolfriverjoe

I find it interesting that people are blaming the guy with the gun for the actions of the thief.

No-one did that.

Even if the guy with the gun had been brandishing it on approach to the car thief, it still would have been assault/attempted murder to try to run someone down.

No-one disputes that.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

wolfriverjoe

***>Did you read what was written...I have highlighted the time line to make it easier for you.

I think Joe's point was that it was a concealed weapon, so as far as the thief knew it was just some guy coming over. Until he pulled it out, that is - which was after the hitting of people started.

Bingo. Thank you.

There are lots of cases where someone drives quickly towards a cop (or more than one), maybe not even directly. They often get shot. The cop 'feared for his (her) life and responded with deadly force.
Sometimes it's apparent that the driver was trying to run over the cop, others it's pretty clear they weren't, but were just trying to get away.

Certainly thats a possible narrative that justifies lethal force. When I was in my 20's I shot IPSC with a 9x21, CZ75. At that time a guy by the name of Massad Ayoob was the "guru" for the shooting community. He wrote regularly on the use of lethal force. I read most of everything he wrote on the subject for several years.

If you're not in LE. Lawyers will be up your ass if you shoot someone. You will pay and pay if the shooting is not inside your home. The more you study the subject the more an intelligent person would tend to leave a concealed weapon, concealed and unused.
https://massadayoobgroup.com/

He authored a book on the use of lethal force. This was a paragraph from the criticism of his book:
"My only criticism of the book, and it’s a tiny one, is that I wish Mas would have commented on the pro’s and con’s of retaining competent public relations counsel to try to manage the post-gunfight narrative and supplement a strong legal defense. Otherwise, this book is all in the ten ring."

Are you ready to cash up a $5-10K retainer, post shooting for a team of media lawyers?

Who is saying it wouldn't be?

The questions are around the actions that led to escalation. A car is replaceable, a life isn't.

SkyDekker

Who is saying it wouldn't be?

The questions are around the actions that led to escalation. A car is replaceable, a life isn't.

Well, if the narrative is correct (and I still haven't seen a link, so I don't know if it even happened), the thief escalated it.

Unless "Hey, stop stealing that car!!!" counts as 'escalation.'

One more time, despite the gun being 'present', it wasn't apparent until the dude pulled it out.

After the thief started trying to run people down.

I fail to see how the gun escalated anything.

sudo242

In other news, another victory for the NRA and all freedom loving Washingtonians.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180817/nra-wins-lawsuit-in-washington-state-prevents-i-1639-from-appearing-on-ballot

I can see some/most of those being non-starters e.g. the registry... I'm curious on your thoughts on "Imposes criminal liability on otherwise law-abiding gun owners who fail to store their firearms to state standards;".
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

mistercwood

***In other news, another victory for the NRA and all freedom loving Washingtonians.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180817/nra-wins-lawsuit-in-washington-state-prevents-i-1639-from-appearing-on-ballot

I can see some/most of those being non-starters e.g. the registry... I'm curious on your thoughts on "Imposes criminal liability on otherwise law-abiding gun owners who fail to store their firearms to state standards;".

It's appalling to call people "criminals" just because they disobey the law.

Next they'll be calling people "thieves" because they steal stuff.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Agreed!
Canada used to have a Long Gun Registry, but it was expensive, unpopular and made little difference to law enforcement officers. Most Canadian tax-payers saw the LGR as another attempt at buying votes in the economically-depressed Chatham, New Brunswick region. Chatham’s economy had been declining ever since the Royal Canadian Air Force pulled out during the early 1989s.

I also agree with punishing gun-owners if their guns were used to commit a crime AND it can be proven that their guns were not properly-stored: locked cabinets, locked rooms, trigger locks, etc.

mistercwood

... I'm curious on your thoughts on "Imposes criminal liability on otherwise law-abiding gun owners who fail to store their firearms to state standards;".

I think it is a bit of a slippery slope. What if your neighbor borrows your rat poison and kills his wife with it. Are you liable?

By the way, most states have none of those ridiculous storage laws. And there are no laws at the federal level. An unloaded or locked up firearm is about as useful as a paperweight.

sudo242

I think it is a bit of a slippery slope. What if your neighbor borrows your rat poison and kills his wife with it. Are you liable?

Is there a law against lending someone rat poison?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***I think it is a bit of a slippery slope. What if your neighbor borrows your rat poison and kills his wife with it. Are you liable?

Is there a law against lending someone rat poison?

No, but nasal decongestant is another matter entirely. :o

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.