jclalor

Fox “News” finally goes full Racist

RonD1120

***Why are there so many subsets of Christians, Ron?

Surely you're a Christian if you follow the teachings of Jesus and you're not if you don't?

I wouldn't have thought you get to go 'I agree with these things he said, but not these bits - BUT I'm still a Christian.'?

By that rationale I completely agree with the whole 'try not to be a dick to each other' part so therefore I'm a Christian.
HOORAY! Eternal life!

Since this came up I have been pondering the concept.

There are two, for the purpose of this discussion, aspects of Christianity. One is salvation and the other is spiritual enlightenment.

Salvation is basically linear. If I accept Jesus's atoning death on the cross as The Son of God and His resurrection then I am saved. Then I receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit to guide me in sanctification.

Spiritual enlightenment is non-linear. It is the development of sanctification on the path of eternal life. The Holy Spirit is constantly enhancing individual spirit and soul in sanctification. It is dynamic creating the wonders of God as the attachment to the world is forsaken.

I'm not sure whether "gobbledegook" or "mumbo-jumbo" is the better description of that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

jakee

Does that mean there are Christians in name only or there are not Christians in name only?

Setting aside Ron's views, the "degree of Christian" thing is something I've never understood, especially from my perspective as a previous believer. I understand that there are cultural Christians, they go to Church, sing the hymns, go home and barbecue, etc and it's all part of being a proper WASP or Baptist or Catholic etc so your grandma keeps you in the will. What I don't get is people who say they believe in a God but take no further effort to learn about their religion and live according to their faith. If that's what you believe, that your afterlife is dependent upon adhering to your faith then there is no other thing in the world that should matter to you. I'm not being hyperbolic by saying that your existence and eternal soul depend on your understanding and adherence to the religion. Yet, those same people have barely an equivalent of a 6th grader understanding of what's in the bible.

Maybe it's that the only people who remain religious are those who are somehow incapable of understanding that Christianity is a self-contradicting pile of mythology and superstition.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

RonD1120

There are two, for the purpose of this discussion, aspects of Christianity. One is salvation and the other is spiritual enlightenment.

To be a christian, on the other hand, requires only that one strive to act in the manner Christ acted.

No imaginary friend required.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

***There are two, for the purpose of this discussion, aspects of Christianity. One is salvation and the other is spiritual enlightenment.

To be a christian, on the other hand, requires only that one strive to act in the manner Christ acted.

^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

Just as there are Muslims who are not. There are Christians who are not.

The current Scandal(s) in the Catholic church

Report details sexual abuse by more than 300 priests in Pennsylvania's Catholic Church
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/14/us/pennsylvania-catholic-church-grand-jury/index.html

Irish Catholics call for ‘current culture of misogyny’ in the Church to be erased
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/irish-catholics-call-for-current-culture-of-misogyny-in-the-church-to-be-erased-1.3598186

Catholic Church sex abuse cases by country
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sex_abuse_cases_by_country

kallend

******Why are there so many subsets of Christians, Ron?

Surely you're a Christian if you follow the teachings of Jesus and you're not if you don't?

I wouldn't have thought you get to go 'I agree with these things he said, but not these bits - BUT I'm still a Christian.'?

By that rationale I completely agree with the whole 'try not to be a dick to each other' part so therefore I'm a Christian.
HOORAY! Eternal life!

Since this came up I have been pondering the concept.

Salvation is basically linear. If I accept Jesus's atoning death on the cross as The Son of God and His resurrection then I am saved. Then I receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit to guide me in sanctification.

Spiritual enlightenment is non-linear. It is the development of sanctification on the path of eternal life. The Holy Spirit is constantly enhancing individual spirit and soul in sanctification. It is dynamic creating the wonders of God as the attachment to the world is forsaken.

I'm not sure whether "gobbledegook" or "mumbo-jumbo" is the better description of that.

Neither, that is grade A, gluten free, non-GMO, free range and absolutely guaranteed to be undiluted woo-woo. Non linearly speaking, of course.

Phil1111

Just as there are Muslims who are not. There are Christians who are not.

The current Scandal(s) in the Catholic church

Report details sexual abuse by more than 300 priests in Pennsylvania's Catholic Church
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/14/us/pennsylvania-catholic-church-grand-jury/index.html

Irish Catholics call for ‘current culture of misogyny’ in the Church to be erased
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/irish-catholics-call-for-current-culture-of-misogyny-in-the-church-to-be-erased-1.3598186

Catholic Church sex abuse cases by country
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sex_abuse_cases_by_country

Except that if you ask Ron, Catholics are not Christians. So there's that :|
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

What I don't get is people who say they believe in a God but take no further effort to learn about their religion and live according to their faith. If that's what you believe, that your afterlife is dependent upon adhering to your faith then there is no other thing in the world that should matter to you.

I think it is perfectly possibly to believe in a greater being, a God, or whatever name you want to give it AND not believe your afterlife is dependent on adhering to your faith.

What I don't get is people who say they believe in a God but take no further effort to learn about their religion and live according to their faith. If that's what you believe, that your afterlife is dependent upon adhering to your faith then there is no other thing in the world that should matter to you. I'm not being hyperbolic by saying that your existence and eternal soul depend on your understanding and adherence to the religion. Yet, those same people have barely an equivalent of a 6th grader understanding of what's in the bible.

They may well believe that as long as they are nominally adherent to their faith (i.e. they have a cross necklace, or profess a specific belief, or they go to church) that they are "saved" and thus do not need to do anything further. They may come to that belief on their own; they may even be told that by clergy.

As to understanding the Bible - have you _read_ that thing? I studied it for four years in high school and we barely scratched the surface on interpretation, history, translation issues, famous edits etc etc. I can't fault people for not understanding it all, or even knowing what's in it.

On the other hand, as soon as someone starts quoting the Bible to support their favorite political agenda, they're fair game.

Credit Card Christians is what my pastor used to call them. Sin all you want because you can always repent, cry a little and be really sorry.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

jcd11235

***There are two, for the purpose of this discussion, aspects of Christianity. One is salvation and the other is spiritual enlightenment.

That totally contradicts the gospel of Jesus the Christ as proclaimed in the scripture found in the Holy Bible.

See my sig line below for a clue.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

>>To be a christian, on the other hand, requires only that one strive to act in the manner
>>Christ acted.

>That totally contradicts the gospel of Jesus the Christ as proclaimed in the scripture found in
>the Holy Bible.

1 John 2:6 - Whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

1 Peter 2:21 - For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.

Ephesians 5:1-2 - Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

John 13:13-17 - You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.

Romans 8:28-29 - And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

1 John 2:29 - If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him.

To return to FOX News for a moment -

This morning on FOX and Friends, in a truly FOX moment, Ainsley Earhardt crowed about how the US had defeated the commies in World War II - by defeating Japan.

“We defeated communist Japan, radical Islamists. We ask our men and our women to go overseas to fight for our country and sacrifice so much for this great country so we can be the land of the free, the land of the brave."

Someone better get a historian and a crisis counselor ready. The historian to remind her that Japan was a monarchy - and the crisis counselor for when the historian tells her that we were allies of the communists during World War II.

billvon

>>To be a christian, on the other hand, requires only that one strive to act in the manner
>>Christ acted.

>That totally contradicts the gospel of Jesus the Christ as proclaimed in the scripture found in
>the Holy Bible.

1 John 2:6 - Whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

1 Peter 2:21 - For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.

Ephesians 5:1-2 - Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

John 13:13-17 - You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.

Romans 8:28-29 - And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

1 John 2:29 - If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him.

And this....

https://www.wikihow.com/Receive-the-Holy-Spirit-as-per-the-Bible
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

billvon

To return to FOX News for a moment -

This morning on FOX and Friends, in a truly FOX moment, Ainsley Earhardt crowed about how the US had defeated the commies in World War II - by defeating Japan.

“We defeated communist Japan, radical Islamists. We ask our men and our women to go overseas to fight for our country and sacrifice so much for this great country so we can be the land of the free, the land of the brave."

Someone better get a historian and a crisis counselor ready. The historian to remind her that Japan was a monarchy - and the crisis counselor for when the historian tells her that we were allies of the communists during World War II.

Obviously, the product of public education.:D

okalb

My fundamentalist parents considered Catholics to be equivalent to devil worshipers.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I just don't get FOX sometimes.

They screwed up and put up the wrong picture. I am sure every other news outlet out there has done the same. But instead of saying "we screwed up, sorry, we regret the error" they have to lie about it to make themselves look less bad:

“We sincerely apologize to Aretha Franklin’s family and friends. Our intention was to honor the icon using a secondary image of her performing with Patti LaBelle in the full screen graphic, but the image of Ms. Franklin was obscured in that process, which we deeply regret.”

No, it wasn't. Someone looked up the original picture and Franklin wasn't in it. It was taken in 2014 at an event - "Women of Soul: In Performance at the White House." They never even shared the stage.

It's as if they can't help lying - and are also unable to realize that there are actually investigative reporters out there who can, you know, investigate things.

ryoder

My fundamentalist parents considered Catholics to be equivalent to devil worshipers.:|

That was a popular sentiment in the '50s.

I have to treat them like all folks, 1:1 to discern their spirit.

BTW, that is next to impossible in cyberspace but some give strong indicators.

billvon

I just don't get FOX sometimes.

They screwed up and put up the wrong picture. I am sure every other news outlet out there has done the same. But instead of saying "we screwed up, sorry, we regret the error" they have to lie about it to make themselves look less bad:

“We sincerely apologize to Aretha Franklin’s family and friends. Our intention was to honor the icon using a secondary image of her performing with Patti LaBelle in the full screen graphic, but the image of Ms. Franklin was obscured in that process, which we deeply regret.”

No, it wasn't. Someone looked up the original picture and Franklin wasn't in it. It was taken in 2014 at an event - "Women of Soul: In Performance at the White House." They never even shared the stage.

It's as if they can't help lying - and are also unable to realize that there are actually investigative reporters out there who can, you know, investigate things.

Stay away from all MSM.

Stay away from all MSM

And stick to what -- aggregator sites like Blaze News (note -- whom do you think they use as sources for what they aggregate)? Interpreters like Rush Limbaugh (who do you think they use as sources)? Just listen to what your minister says (man, you're putting an awful lot of trust into another human)? Or just listen to what the Donald says, and discern what he actually means when it's word hash?

MSM is a source. It should no more be the only source of information than commentators, the church newsletter, speeches, Wikipedia, Conservapedia, or the Bible. You go to an appropriate source for information, and try to gather a context.

Want religious insight? Why would you go to the MSM for that? Want information about a health condition? Why would you go to the Bible for that?

How do you think the conspiracy sites found out about the "Islamist training camp" in Arizona? Maybe, just maybe, the MSM? And then they extrapolated?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

jcd11235

***Stay away from all MSM.

Right. You wouldn't want to distort your world view with any facts, would you?

I guess you'd have to ask yourself why the MSM exists. Do you really believe their sole purpose is to give you the facts?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne