nolhtairt

North and South Korea

yoink

So in the news today is Giuliani saying that Kim Jong Un 'begged on his hands and knees' to resume talks.

Anyone want to be that the talks will be called off again because Giuliani can't keep his mouth shut?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44390112

How in the F**k did he ever get admitted to the bar having a mouth with two feet in it all the time?

Damn, he and trump deserve each other.

So about that Nobel peace prize? An agreement to disarm? Real progress between North Korea and the rest of the world? Trump's Art of the Deal, used to bring Kim to his knees?

Not so much. Trump decided to leave early, and Pompeo is now saying that the goal for this talk is to postpone everything to future talks where something actually happens. (Perhaps when we have a real president again.)

===================================
SINGAPORE (AP) — The eyes of the world upon them, President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un headed on Tuesday into their historic summit balancing the elusive promise of peace against the specter of a growing nuclear threat. Yet even before they met, Trump announced plans to leave early, raising questions about whether his aspirations for an ambitious outcome had been scaled back.

The first-ever meeting between a U.S. president and a North Korean leader was to kick off at 9 a.m. Tuesday (9 p.m. EDT Monday in the U.S.) with a handshake, an image sure to be devoured from Washington to Pyongyang and beyond. Trump and Kim planned to meet one-on-one for most of an hour— joined only by translators. Then aides to each were to come in for more discussions and a working lunch.

Up early in Singapore, Trump tweeted with cautious optimism: “Meetings between staffs and representatives are going well and quickly ... but in the end, that doesn’t matter. We will all know soon whether or not a real deal, unlike those of the past, can happen!”

A defense expert says that expectations about the outcome of the upcoming US-North Korea meeting should be “modest,” adding that “a lot of talk and not a lot of achievement seems to be the likely outcome.”

In the run-up to the talks, Trump had hopefully predicted the two men might strike a nuclear deal or forge a formal end to the Korean War in the course of a single meeting or over several days. But on the eve of the summit, the White House unexpectedly announced Trump would depart Singapore by Tuesday evening, meaning his time with Kim would be fairly brief. And Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sought to keep expectations for the summit in check.

“We are hopeful this summit will have set the conditions for future successful talks,” Pompeo said, describing a far more modest goal than Trump had outlined days earlier.
=====================================

LOL... typical liberalistic spin. Tell me, would you be saying the same exact thing if it was Hillary Clinton in Trump's place, doing exactly the same things? I do not think so. Trump derangement syndrome is a real thing. :P

Look, this is just the first summit between the two. I'm sure there will be others, but this was the ice-breaker and a hope of putting the past behind. Kim Jong Un wanted this badly. If you were the leader of a country looked down upon for 70 years by the eminent superpower of the world, how annoyed would you be, when you wanted to be recognized and not getting it? History shows it, with all the bombastic, uppity behavior and saber rattling. Maybe, just maybe, our past methods of regarding them as the scum of the earth that's not to be trusted ever, wasn't ever going to lead to anything positive.

Now, I'm not saying any new deal we make with Kim Jong Un and his regime is going to change anything, when we know that all deals in the past were flushed down the toilet by the regime. Maybe, just maybe, with Trump meeting Kim Jong Un face to face, we can see a change in the dynamics between the two countries for the better. Move ahead cautiously with sanctions still in place and see what happens in the future.

As far as I'm concerned, KJU is still a fat murderous shitbag leader of a country with an abhorrent human rights record, but I'd like to see the tension in the region cut down and see if we can't all get along somehow.

Will KJU give up his nukes? Good question. I'm going to lean towards no. Not all of them. But if the new relations moving forward stops him from threatening the US and its allies, then that's a step forward in the right direction.

nolhtairt

LOL... typical liberalistic spin. Tell me, would you be saying the same exact thing if it was Hillary Clinton in Trump's place, doing exactly the same things? I do not think so. Trump derangement syndrome is a real thing. :P

Kim Jong Un wanted this badly. If you were the leader of a country looked down upon for 70 years by the eminent superpower of the world, how annoyed would you be, when you wanted to be recognized and not getting it?...

Now, I'm not saying any new deal we make with Kim Jong Un and his regime is going to change anything, when we know that all deals in the past were flushed down the toilet by the regime. Move ahead cautiously with sanctions still in place and see what happens in the future.

Will KJU give up his nukes? Good question. I'm going to lean towards no. .

China suggests sanctions relief for North Korea after Trump-Kim summit
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/06/12/china-sanctions-relief-north-korea-trump-kim-summit/693750002/

Donald Trump says US to stop 'war games' with South Korea
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/12/politics/trump-us-military-war-games-south-korea-intl/index.html

Singapore’s Trump-Kim summit: North Korea wins first round 3-2
http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/geopolitics/article/2149476/singapores-trump-kim-summit-north-korea-wins-first-round-3-2
"Trump reportedly hoped to bring about the total dismantling of North Korea’s nuclear missile project by the end of his first term, but more recently he has tried to lower expectations, saying “I never said it goes in one meeting. I think it’s going to be a process”, and “I told them today, ‘Take your time … We can go slowly’.” After his National Security Adviser John Bolton said the US would insist on complete North Korean denuclearisation before making any concessions, Trump disavowed Bolton’s statement."

Kim has conceded nothing. trump gave the game away.

Meanwhile China is more emboldened by trumps idiot international negotiating style. From the SCMP, unreported in US news services.

China puts missiles back on contested South China Sea island as United States pushes allies for bigger military presence in waters
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy-defence/article/2150226/china-puts-missiles-back-contested-south-china-sea

Mattis Slams Beijing on South China Sea Island Weaponization
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/06/02/mattis-slams-beijing-south-china-sea-island-weaponization.html

China and Kim, playing the trump government like a violin.

Phil1111

***LOL... typical liberalistic spin. Tell me, would you be saying the same exact thing if it was Hillary Clinton in Trump's place, doing exactly the same things? I do not think so. Trump derangement syndrome is a real thing. :P

Kim Jong Un wanted this badly. If you were the leader of a country looked down upon for 70 years by the eminent superpower of the world, how annoyed would you be, when you wanted to be recognized and not getting it?...

Now, I'm not saying any new deal we make with Kim Jong Un and his regime is going to change anything, when we know that all deals in the past were flushed down the toilet by the regime. Move ahead cautiously with sanctions still in place and see what happens in the future.

Will KJU give up his nukes? Good question. I'm going to lean towards no. .

China suggests sanctions relief for North Korea after Trump-Kim summit
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/06/12/china-sanctions-relief-north-korea-trump-kim-summit/693750002/

Donald Trump says US to stop 'war games' with South Korea
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/12/politics/trump-us-military-war-games-south-korea-intl/index.html

Singapore’s Trump-Kim summit: North Korea wins first round 3-2
http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/geopolitics/article/2149476/singapores-trump-kim-summit-north-korea-wins-first-round-3-2

Kim has conceded nothing. trump gave the game away.

Spin it however you like. I don't care. Trump isn't going to give anything up for nothing. He's a businessman, not a limp dick politician like Obama.

Tell me, would you be saying the same exact thing if it was Hillary Clinton in Trump's place, doing exactly the same things?

This is the same as when people were saying "you wouldn't have a problem if Clinton had taken Chelsea to sit in at the G20!" No one would have a problem with it because it would never have happened. Trump is the only President to be so ignorant of international diplomacy that he would think this was a good idea.

You know what pretty much everyone who isn't an american conservative's prediction for the result of this conference was? Kim would blow smoke up Trump's arse about how he was the only President great enough to make this happen, and the flattered Trump would come out and say how great Kim is. And in Trump's own words, that's exactly what happened. He gave Kim a platform for global respectability in exchange for absolutely nothing.

In place of any discussion of his human rights abuses we saw Kim called a trustworthy man, a capable and tough leader, and someone who the North Korean people love with a fervent passion. Could you ever have predicted seeing a sitting US President kowtow to a communist dictator in such a manner?

Tell me, would you be saying the exact same thing Obama had said the same things about Kim? Or Castro? Or would you have said the same things Fox news said when faced with the possibility that Obama would talk at all with any foreign dictators?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Spin it however you like. I don't care. Trump isn't going to give anything up for nothing. He's a businessman, not a limp dick politician like Obama.

Nice, and typical of right wingers. I'm sure Trump's hard cock meets your approval. Kim has and will give up little or nothing. He will gain a lot of prestige at home, a short pause in US-South Korea military training, and a significant lessening of pressure from China. Which is what really matters to him.

Trump will gain nothing. You already love his erection anyway.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The conservatives love to accuse everyone of having Trump Derangement Syndrome. The fact is, it is the right wingers who have TDS, the primary symptom being the fervent belief that whatever Trump does is the right thing, regardless of their previously held position or common sense.

- Dan G

DanG

The conservatives love to accuse everyone of having Trump Derangement Syndrome. The fact is, it is the right wingers who have TDS, the primary symptom being the fervent belief that whatever Trump does is the right thing, regardless of their previously held position or common sense.

Indeed. A few months ago when Trump was still calling Kim "Little Rocket Man" and promoting tough sanctions it was the right thing to do and the only way to make progress, according to Nol.

Now that Trump publically says Kim is a trustworthy man who is a good leader of his country it is the right thing to do and the only way to make progress, and looking down on and demeaning NK would never have brought any change, according to Nol.

DanG

And that is the definition of a cult following.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>Kim Jong Un wanted this badly.

Yes, he did. This will help cement his leadership within his country and give him more power when negotiating with China and South Korea. Another despotic leader shored up by Trump; congratulations.

>KJU is still a fat murderous shitbag leader of a country with an abhorrent human rights record

And you think giving such people more power is a good idea.

Pretty sure I just saw him advocating for Russia at the G7 even though they have a slew of tariffs against us that eclipse those of Canada. The funny part is that the reason they aren't utilized is because we have sanctions against them and don't currently send those goods. But anyway, yeah, that's who your non-limp dick politician is speaking for...as in giving with nothing in return.

As far as NK goes, I think this was a good move since there needs to be a relationship in order for there to be leverage. We'll put a pin in this one and see what we get in return.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Y'all are triggered.

Triggered? Is that what you call it when you resort to vulgarity and people answer back? At least you are slightly more clever than Marc. Even though you both keep claiming how "hilarious" you feel we are as you express your anger.

Remember the Cuban missile crisis? The "libtard" JFK handled that without starting a war. I'm doubting Trump could.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I don't remember any criticism from liberals when Obama met with another murderous brutal dictator from Cuba who also oversaw a police state and killed/jailed his opponents.

Pointing out your own double standard doesn't really advance your position.

nolhtairt

Funny. I don't remember any criticism from liberals when Obama met with another murderous brutal dictator from Cuba who also oversaw a police state and killed/jailed his opponents.

Didn't you learn your lesson the last time you were caught plagiarising a moronic statement from someone else's Twitter account?

Rubio blasted Obama's visit as a major concession to Castro - despite the fact that Obama criticised castro, and made sure Castro had to publically face questions about his human rights abuses for the first time ever.

Rubio doesn't see Trump's visit as a concession to Kim, despite the fact that Trump has publically fawned over Kim and emphasised what a nice guy he is, what a good leader he is, and how Kim loves the people of NK and the people of NK love Kim.

Could you imagine the outcry if Obama had said the same about either of the Castros? What would Rubio have said then? There's your hypocrisy alright:S

nolhtairt

Y'all are triggered. :D

Funny. I don't remember any criticism from liberals when Obama met with another murderous brutal dictator from Cuba who also oversaw a police state and killed/jailed his opponents.

Fucking libtard double standard. It's hilarious. :D

So you're calling me a fucking triggered libtard?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

As far as NK goes, I think this was a good move since there needs to be a relationship in order for there to be leverage. We'll put a pin in this one and see what we get in return.

I agree that the U.S. had to try something, since what we've been doing so far hasn't worked. However, I also disagree that it should have been POTUS himself. Both Sec. States have been there -- THAT was a good first step. Jumping straight to POTUS, giving Kim legitimacy on the world stage was too much. Then not only cancelling military readiness exercises, but calling them "war games," in exchange for NO specifics on NK nuclear capabilities or sites (let alone any talk of a denuclearization plan) was just moronic.

In other news -- one of the pool reporters came back saying Trump had shown a video to Kim (and other attendees) before their meeting, in Korean, then showed it to Kim directly on Trump's tablet. The video turned out to be a sales pitch. Trump seems to see N. Korea as unspoiled, CHEAP land, with really cheap labor, on which to build his next resort or high-end development. [:/] Now it's all making sense.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

I agree that the U.S. had to try something, since what we've been doing so far hasn't worked. However, I also disagree that it should have been POTUS himself. Both Sec. States have been there -- THAT was a good first step. Jumping straight to POTUS, giving Kim legitimacy on the world stage was too much. Then not only cancelling military readiness exercises, but calling them "war games," in exchange for NO specifics on NK nuclear capabilities or sites (let alone any talk of a denuclearization plan) was just moronic.

In other news -- one of the pool reporters came back saying Trump had shown a video to Kim (and other attendees) before their meeting, in Korean, then showed it to Kim directly on Trump's tablet. The video turned out to be a sales pitch. Trump seems to see N. Korea as unspoiled, CHEAP land, with really cheap labor, on which to build his next resort or high-end development. [:/] Now it's all making sense.

I have said it on facebook and to family: I am calling it now. If NoKo opens borders and allows foreign investment/trade, we will find out there is a side-deal in place with Trump Inc.

I have said it on facebook and to family: I am calling it now. If NoKo opens borders and allows foreign investment/trade, we will find out there is a side-deal in place with Trump Inc.

Will it be brokered through Dennis Rodman?

>Then not only cancelling military readiness exercises, but calling them "war games," in
>exchange for NO specifics on NK nuclear capabilities or sites (let alone any talk of a
>denuclearization plan) was just moronic.

That's already changing. From GOP Sen. Cory Gardner: "I think what the Vice President said today, and we’ll continue to clarify what the president had talked about, exercises will continue with South Korea. I look forward to further comment and clarification from the president when he gets here."

billvon

>Then not only cancelling military readiness exercises, but calling them "war games," in
>exchange for NO specifics on NK nuclear capabilities or sites (let alone any talk of a
>denuclearization plan) was just moronic.

That's already changing. From GOP Sen. Cory Gardner: "I think what the Vice President said today, and we’ll continue to clarify what the president had talked about, exercises will continue with South Korea. I look forward to further comment and clarification from the president when he gets here."

I bet you are:|
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln