nolhtairt

North and South Korea

tkhayes

after reading a bit, yes, I think they do not want it, but for economic reasons, not necessarily social or cultural reasons.

Here's the thing about the North Koreans... The populace have been brainwashed by the regime. They have been fed lies about the world and conditioned to believe their living standards are good. Internet access to the outside is strictly forbidden as are imported contraband (DVDs, VHS tapes, media, etc) and those who are caught face harsh punishment.

Frankly, I don't see why Kim Jong Un would want reunification if he can't maintain the propaganda he's fed to his people.

nolhtairt

***after reading a bit, yes, I think they do not want it, but for economic reasons, not necessarily social or cultural reasons.

Here's the thing about the North Koreans... The populace have been brainwashed by the regime. They have been fed lies about the world and conditioned to believe their living standards are good. Internet access to the outside is strictly forbidden as are imported contraband (DVDs, VHS tapes, media, etc) and those who are caught face harsh punishment.

Frankly, I don't see why Kim Jong Un would want reunification if he can't maintain the propaganda he's fed to his people.

How often does reunification happen when the two populations are this different? There was Vietnam of course, which I hate to even think about, but other than that? And especially with it being a negotiated reunification, no withdrawing army and last helicopter out but both sides getting together and cutting that big ribbon. I can't even imagine had NK and SK would work it out. I'm not saying they won't, just that I can't see how. It would be very interesting.

DanG

There were these two countries one time called West Germany and East Germany...

But there's no real comparison to Korea is there? One of the big reasons East Germany and the Wall fell was that the people learned what life in the West was like and wanted it. North Korea and South Korea have gone very different ways since the partitioning. Germany's reunification came from the people standing up and demanding it. I don't see anything remotely like that in North Korea.

Not really replying to your post, more the thread in general.

Lets all focus on the two negotiators here. One is a jingoistic, nationalist, liar, well known for breaking agreements and treaties,etc.

The other is Kim.

Lets all not get ahead of ourselves.

Bob_Church

***There were these two countries one time called West Germany and East Germany...

But there's no real comparison to Korea is there? One of the big reasons East Germany and the Wall fell was that the people learned what life in the West was like and wanted it. North Korea and South Korea have gone very different ways since the partitioning. Germany's reunification came from the people standing up and demanding it. I don't see anything remotely like that in North Korea.

Exactly. The way things are in North Korea is directly attributed to exactly how Kim Jong Un wants it. For anyone to suggest otherwise will either be killed by: Anti Aircraft fire, pack of dogs, or burned alive, or whatever other methods we haven't heard about. The alternative is hard labor at the largest concentration camp in the world today.

The people in North Korea have been raised since birth to always honor the Kim dynasty. It's like nothing else we've seen in this fucked up world. You cannot compare this to Germany or Vietnam. There is no comparison. Sorry. It would take a generation to change the way the North Koreans view the world and only after regime change, I.E. KJU and his family and close aides are removed from power to begin with.

Phil1111

Not really replying to your post, more the thread in general.

Lets all focus on the two negotiators here. One is a jingoistic, nationalist, liar, well known for breaking agreements and treaties,etc.

The other is Kim.

Is that how the liberals think? That Kim Jong Un is a better person than Donald Trump?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

nolhtairt

***Not really replying to your post, more the thread in general.

The other is Kim.

Is that how the liberals think? That Kim Jong Un is a better person than Donald Trump?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I wouldn't know I'm a McCain conservative. But the attributes aforementioned regarding trump are all well documented.

nolhtairt

It would take a generation to change the way the North Koreans view the world and only after regime change, I.E. KJU and his family and close aides are removed from power to begin with.

Because that strategy never goes sideways. :S
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Bob_Church

But there's no real comparison to Korea is there? One of the big reasons East Germany and the Wall fell was that the people learned what life in the West was like and wanted it.

I was just doing some reading on German Unification, and it looks to me to be a bit different.
1. The Soviet Union's internal ongoing problems at the time caused their support for East Germany to wither.
2. W/o the Soviet support, East Germany's economic/political situation began to collapse.

What I did not remember was that the unification was really just East Germany voluntarily being absorbed into the existing West Germany. i.e. it was not a merger, but an acquisition.

As far as comparison to the Korean peninsula, I could not see that happening unless the North Korean govt somehow collapsed internally.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

A liberal and a conservative are walking along and see two piles of dog shit on the sidewalk. The liberal say, "Man, that pile on the left is one nasty looking pile of dog shit." In response the conservative yells, "Are you saying the pile of dog shit on the right is good and you want to eat it?!? Is that how disgusting libtards think???"

True story.

- Dan G

nolhtairt

******There were these two countries one time called West Germany and East Germany...

Exactly. The way things are in North Korea is directly attributed to exactly how Kim Jong Un wants it. For anyone to suggest otherwise will either be killed by: Anti Aircraft fire, pack of dogs, or burned alive, or whatever other methods we haven't heard about. The alternative is hard labor at the largest concentration camp in the world today.

The people in North Korea have been raised since birth to always honor the Kim dynasty. It's like nothing else we've seen in this fucked up world. You cannot compare this to Germany or Vietnam. There is no comparison. Sorry. It would take a generation to change the way the North Koreans view the world and only after regime change, I.E. KJU and his family and close aides are removed from power to begin with.

And everything I've heard and read about NK looks as though they succeeded in the place where the Soviets finally dropped the ball. They've kept their people in the dark. "If you think it's bad here, imagine those poor people in South Korea or America right now!" "Yes, did you see that Rodman? And he's one of the successful ones, imagine what the working class looks like"

ryoder

But there's no real comparison to Korea is there? One of the big reasons East Germany and the Wall fell was that the people learned what life in the West was like and wanted it.

I was just doing some reading on German Unification, and it looks to me to be a bit different.
1. The Soviet Union's internal ongoing problems at the time caused their support for East Germany to wither.
2. W/o the Soviet support, East Germany's economic/political situation began to collapse.

What I did not remember was that the unification was really just East Germany voluntarily being absorbed into the existing West Germany. i.e. it was not a merger, but an acquisition.

As far as comparison to the Korean peninsula, I could not see that happening unless the North Korean govt somehow collapsed internally.

That was also a case of East Germany still being an occupied country. If they had split on their own accord and were entirely independent of outside influences then reunification would be a bit more difficult. Now, there was a bit of that when the Korean Peninsula split but that's not the case now.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

That was also a case of East Germany still being an occupied country. If they had split on their own accord and were entirely independent of outside influences then reunification would be a bit more difficult. Now, there was a bit of that when the Korean Peninsula split but that's not the case now.

Another side I forgot to mention in my most recent post... The giant bear in the room - China. Does anybody think they would welcome a unified Korea under the South Korean government? A free society right on their border? I do not think so. And especially not, as long as the US maintains their troops and bases as is. No. I imagine they prefer to keep the DPRK as is. And Russia would too.

Bob_Church

I have to wonder what their crops are looking like.

Admittedly, nowhere near as good as we have it. They are for the most part, a starved and impoverished population that even suffered a famine in the 90's IIRC.

Now.... here's another win for Trump/Pompeo... North Korea has released the three Korean/Americans they had held prisoner, including one from since the Obama term.

Does anybody remember Obama securing the release of anybody from North Korea? No?

Not only that, but it appears the date and location for a Trump/Kim summit has been set. Who'd have thunk it? A year ago libtards were screaming Trump was gonna start a war.

Still a lot of work to do. One step at a time. Be wary.

>Does anybody remember Obama securing the release of anybody from North Korea? No?

Other than Euna Lee, Laura Ling, Robert Park, Aijalon Gomes, Eddie Yong Su Jun, Merrill Newman, Jeffrey Fowle, Kenneth Bae, Matthew Miller, Sandra Suh, and Arturo Pierre Martinez. Other than them - none.

So I guess Trump has only 8 to go until he has had as much success as Obama.

The story of the release of two of them:
=======================
2 Americans freed by North Korea back in U.S.
By Greg Miller NYT
Filed November 9, 2014

The last two Americans being held prisoner by North Korea have been released and allowed to return home after an extraordinary trip to that isolated nation’s capital by the United States’ top intelligence official, U.S. officials said Saturday.

Matthew Miller and Kenneth Bae, both serving multi-year sentences in North Korean labor camps, arrived at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington state shortly after 9 p.m. local time Saturday accompanied by Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper.

At a news conference a short time after landing at the base south of Seattle, Bae thanked President Obama and also the North Korean government for releasing him, the Associated Press reported. “It’s been an amazing two years, I learned a lot,” Bae said.

Members of Bae’s family, who live near the sprawling military base south of Seattle, met him when he landed, the AP said. His mother hugged him after he got off the plane. Miller stepped off the U.S. government aircraft a short time later and was also greeted with hugs.

Brian Hale, a spokesman for Clapper’s office, said in a written statement earlier Saturday that, “We can confirm that [Bae and Miller] have been allowed to depart the DPRK and are on their way home,” using the initials for North Korea. Hale declined to offer any additional details on the terms of the Americans’ release or Clapper’s role in the mission to retrieve them.

President Obama applauded the action, telling reporters at the White House: “It’s a wonderful day for them and their families. We’re grateful for their safe return.” He also thanked Clapper for his unusual role in negotiating the prisoners’ freedom, saying it “was obviously a challenging mission.”
===========

This blind worship of Trump is getting pretty old.

Another side I forgot to mention in my most recent post... The giant bear in the room - China. Does anybody think they would welcome a unified Korea under the South Korean government? A free society right on their border? I do not think so. And especially not, as long as the US maintains their troops and bases as is. No. I imagine they prefer to keep the DPRK as is. And Russia would too.

There's nothing China and Russia like more that a noisy buffer state to draw our attention away from what they're doing.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

billvon

This blind worship of Trump is getting pretty old.

I think it's as much blind hatred of Obama as it is blind worship of Trump.

They tout anything Trump claims to accomplish, and then make believe it was better than what Obama did.
Hatred and racism were two of the main planks in Trump's campaign platform.

I do have to say that this whole summit thing is turning out to be a major win. Getting a sit down, elevating his stature, making him look powerful and successful.

Getting a sitting US president to treat him as an equal is a huge win for KJU and the DPRK.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo