2 2
billvon

The swamp

Figured I'd start this thread to track the progress of the Washington swamp.

First to define it. For that I will go to FOX News reporter Eric Bolling's book. From the description:

The Swamp: Washington's Murky Pool of Corruption and Cronyism and How Trump Can Drain It

When Washington D.C. was first built, it was on top of a swamp that had to be drained. Donald Trump says it's time to drain it again.

In The Swamp, bestselling author and Fox News Channel host Eric Bolling presents an infuriating, amusing, revealing, and outrageous history of American politics, past and present, Republican and Democrat. From national political scandals to tempests in a teapot that blew up; bribery, blackmail, bullying, and backroom deals that contradicted public policies; cronyism that cost taxpayers hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars; and personal conduct that can only be described as regrettable, The Swamp is a journey downriver through the bayous and marshes of Capitol Hill and Foggy Bottom.

The presidential election of 2016 was ugly, but it exposed a political, media, industry, and elite establishment that desperately wanted to elect a politician who received millions of dollars from terror-funding states over a businessman willing to tell the corrupt or incompetent, “You’re fired.”

The book concludes with a series of recommendations for President Trump: practical, hard-headed, and concise ways to drain the swamp and force Washington to be more transparent, more accountable, and more effective in how it serves those who have elected its politicians and pay the bills for their decision.

OK, we will go with that. The swamp refers to bribery, blackmail, and cronyism (hiring friends and family) that costs taxpayers money. It covers corruption - dishonest or fraudulent use of power, usually to obtain more power, money or benefits. It covers backroom deals, kept hidden from the public, that contradict public policies.

With that, we turn to our first Swamp denizen - Ben Carson. For him we will go over corruption - specifically the dishonest use of his power to obtain more bennies for himself. And it is centered around a very odd benefit indeed; a dining room set for his office.

Carson helped out Trump with his campaign, but was clear that he did not want to serve in his cabinet; he did not feel himself qualified, and did not want to damage the executive branch via his inexperience. One of his aides stated "The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency."

He was nominated and accepted anyway. During his confirmation hearing he was asked about corruption - would he funnel taxpayer money to Trump? He said "he would not commit definitively to avoid directing tax dollars to Trump businesses." He was confirmed anyway. (Gotta fill the swamp!)

His tenure started out with some odd statements, like his statement equating immigrants to slaves and his claim that the human brain "was incapable of forgetting and could be electrically stimulated into perfect recall."

In late 2017 a whistleblower said she had been demoted when she pointed out that his attempted purchase of new office furniture (including the above-mentioned dining room set) was not legal. A new, more compliant Chief Administrative Officer was duly appointed and approved the purchase, after seeing what happened to people who did their jobs correctly. The purchase was for a mahogany table, ten chairs with velvet upholstery, a sideboard, and a hutch that included "hand applied ebonized inlay with bell flowers topped by hand carved scrolls and a fluted column."

In Febuary the story broke. Carson's office denied it all. They claimed they had only spent $3200 for new blinds and were using old chairs from the basement.

From there, the denials got ever more comical.

First Carson said "he was as surprised as anyone" about the purchase. Then an email was produced that contained the "printouts of the furniture the Secretary and Mrs. Carson picked out."

So next Carson threw his wife under the bus. His office claimed that "when presented with options by professional staff, Mrs. Carson participated in the selection of specific styles." During later testimony he said he left it all to her.

Next he claimed that the extravagant cost of the set was justified because it was a "building-wide need." But evidence was produced that indicated it would be installed in his personal suite.

Next he claimed that he didn't fire the previous Chief Administrative Officer over this; it was just a "normal rotation" - even though she was also demoted after getting good performance reviews.

Next he claimed it was a safety hazard - someone could get hurt or killed if those old chairs collapsed while eating dinner in his office! (But he said there were perfectly good chairs in the basement . . .)

And today it gets even better. Rep. Claudia Tenney, GOP rep from New York, claimed that it was the "deep state" that bought the $31,000 dining room set, and just made it look like it was Carson.

“That Ben Carson story is so misunderstood. First of all, I like Ben Carson a lot. I think he’s really trying to do a good job there. But his staffer, one of his key people, was in my office the other day to talk about some of the housing issues that we have in our region, and we were talking about that. And he said that’s the most … Somebody in the deep state — it was not one of his people apparently — ordered a table, like a conference room table or whatever it was, for a room, and that’s what the cost was.”

So to sum up -

He didn't order it; that money was just for blinds. OK, he ordered it because safety and because it was for the whole building, which makes it OK. But he didn't choose it - his wife did. Blame her! But neither one did; it was the evil and nefarious Deep State, which apparently is continuing with its evil agenda of ordering overpriced dining room furniture to make republicans look bad.

Think this swamp will get drained? I doubt it.

Well, you can always start at the top.

Trump spent all or part of the weekend at a Trump branded property 76% of the time in the first year.

How much did that cost the US government (and the American taxpayers)?

And how much of that cost went into Trump's pocket?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

“We are confident that Saddam Hussein has hidden weapons of mass destruction"; John Bolton, new National Security Advisor to President David Dennison John Barron Trump, in 2003.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

headoverheels

Looks like Pruitt may be on the way out. I hope so.

You don't really think Pruitt's replacement will be someone qualified, do you?

Kelly really needs to sit the Halfwit down and explain to him:
"This is not The Apprentice. There is no requirement to fire someone at regular intervals.":S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***Looks like Pruitt may be on the way out. I hope so.

"This is not The Apprentice. There is no requirement to fire someone at regular intervals.":S

He has Michael Jackson syndrome. No one will be The One to tell him how silly he looks.

>You don't really think Pruitt's replacement will be someone qualified, do you?

It's so hard to find someone qualified these days. Ken Lay is perfect, but he's dead, and even Trump may find that hard to work with. Maybe Joseph Hazlewood? I think he's still alive, and who better to watch over America's ecosystem. Perhaps James Inhofe?

Wait, I've got it - Roy Moore! He'd be perfect. His background in seducing underage women, his paranoia and his victim mentality would make him a perfect fit for the Trump white house. Although they might have to find him a few new interns to sweeten the pot.

Bernie Ebbers is available.
Since the convictions were on federal charges, Trump could pardon him so he could be released to take the job.:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***Looks like Pruitt may be on the way out. I hope so.

Given who he has hired, I think it would be pretty cool if he just kept firing people.

Somewhat like his 'lawyer situation', it won't take too long for people to find 'good reasons' to decline positions.

Before too long, he will be all by himself in the White House.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

billvon

From the article - "he plans to replace [VA] secretary, David J. Shulkin, with the president’s personal physician, Dr. Ronny L. Jackson, a rear admiral in the Navy."

I see no possible way this could backfire.

Can't wait for a senator to ask him if Trump is really 6'3" during his confirmation hearing.

Wonder if accepting gifts from patients has any ethical implications....

Wonder if accepting gifts from patients has any ethical implications....

Ha!:D

I'm just super impressed with Trump's rigorous, exhaustive, "some guy I've met personally who works in the approximate field" selection process for these roles.

I'm sure he's right, and the other 350M Americans he doesn't already know on a first name basis couldn't possibly have anything more to offer.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

billvon

Figured I'd start this thread to track the progress of the Washington swamp.

First to define it. For that I will go to FOX News reporter Eric Bolling's book. From the description:

The Swamp: Washington's Murky Pool of Corruption and Cronyism and How Trump Can Drain It

When Washington D.C. was first built, it was on top of a swamp that had to be drained. Donald Trump says it's time to drain it again.

In The Swamp, bestselling author and Fox News Channel host Eric Bolling presents an infuriating, amusing, revealing, and outrageous history of American politics, past and present, Republican and Democrat. From national political scandals to tempests in a teapot that blew up; bribery, blackmail, bullying, and backroom deals that contradicted public policies; cronyism that cost taxpayers hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars; and personal conduct that can only be described as regrettable, The Swamp is a journey downriver through the bayous and marshes of Capitol Hill and Foggy Bottom.

The presidential election of 2016 was ugly, but it exposed a political, media, industry, and elite establishment that desperately wanted to elect a politician who received millions of dollars from terror-funding states over a businessman willing to tell the corrupt or incompetent, “You’re fired.”

The book concludes with a series of recommendations for President Trump: practical, hard-headed, and concise ways to drain the swamp and force Washington to be more transparent, more accountable, and more effective in how it serves those who have elected its politicians and pay the bills for their decision.

OK, we will go with that. The swamp refers to bribery, blackmail, and cronyism (hiring friends and family) that costs taxpayers money. It covers corruption - dishonest or fraudulent use of power, usually to obtain more power, money or benefits. It covers backroom deals, kept hidden from the public, that contradict public policies.

With that, we turn to our first Swamp denizen - Ben Carson. For him we will go over corruption - specifically the dishonest use of his power to obtain more bennies for himself. And it is centered around a very odd benefit indeed; a dining room set for his office.

Carson helped out Trump with his campaign, but was clear that he did not want to serve in his cabinet; he did not feel himself qualified, and did not want to damage the executive branch via his inexperience. One of his aides stated "The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency."

He was nominated and accepted anyway. During his confirmation hearing he was asked about corruption - would he funnel taxpayer money to Trump? He said "he would not commit definitively to avoid directing tax dollars to Trump businesses." He was confirmed anyway. (Gotta fill the swamp!)

His tenure started out with some odd statements, like his statement equating immigrants to slaves and his claim that the human brain "was incapable of forgetting and could be electrically stimulated into perfect recall."

In late 2017 a whistleblower said she had been demoted when she pointed out that his attempted purchase of new office furniture (including the above-mentioned dining room set) was not legal. A new, more compliant Chief Administrative Officer was duly appointed and approved the purchase, after seeing what happened to people who did their jobs correctly. The purchase was for a mahogany table, ten chairs with velvet upholstery, a sideboard, and a hutch that included "hand applied ebonized inlay with bell flowers topped by hand carved scrolls and a fluted column."

In Febuary the story broke. Carson's office denied it all. They claimed they had only spent $3200 for new blinds and were using old chairs from the basement.

From there, the denials got ever more comical.

First Carson said "he was as surprised as anyone" about the purchase. Then an email was produced that contained the "printouts of the furniture the Secretary and Mrs. Carson picked out."

So next Carson threw his wife under the bus. His office claimed that "when presented with options by professional staff, Mrs. Carson participated in the selection of specific styles." During later testimony he said he left it all to her.

Next he claimed that the extravagant cost of the set was justified because it was a "building-wide need." But evidence was produced that indicated it would be installed in his personal suite.

Next he claimed that he didn't fire the previous Chief Administrative Officer over this; it was just a "normal rotation" - even though she was also demoted after getting good performance reviews.

Next he claimed it was a safety hazard - someone could get hurt or killed if those old chairs collapsed while eating dinner in his office! (But he said there were perfectly good chairs in the basement . . .)

And today it gets even better. Rep. Claudia Tenney, GOP rep from New York, claimed that it was the "deep state" that bought the $31,000 dining room set, and just made it look like it was Carson.

“That Ben Carson story is so misunderstood. First of all, I like Ben Carson a lot. I think he’s really trying to do a good job there. But his staffer, one of his key people, was in my office the other day to talk about some of the housing issues that we have in our region, and we were talking about that. And he said that’s the most … Somebody in the deep state — it was not one of his people apparently — ordered a table, like a conference room table or whatever it was, for a room, and that’s what the cost was.”

So to sum up -

He didn't order it; that money was just for blinds. OK, he ordered it because safety and because it was for the whole building, which makes it OK. But he didn't choose it - his wife did. Blame her! But neither one did; it was the evil and nefarious Deep State, which apparently is continuing with its evil agenda of ordering overpriced dining room furniture to make republicans look bad.

Think this swamp will get drained? I doubt it.

Oh, this IS interesting. Kellyanne C. as the #1 leaker!

www.cnn.com/2018/04/01/politics/ronald-kessler-jake-tapper-interview/index.html

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If you believe anything CNN publishes anymore you really do have a problem with fake news!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

If you believe anything CNN publishes anymore you really do have a problem with fake news!

This right here is probably the most dangerous aspect of Trump's presidency.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***If you believe anything CNN publishes anymore you really do have a problem with fake news!

This right here is probably the most dangerous aspect of Trump's presidency.

It started well before trump. Right wing media, aka Fox, Breitbart, etc. selects targets for disinformation. Targets like Soros, CNN, Hillary, etc.

Then like the FSB and RT they fabricate stories and ideas. Weak gullible minds fall victim to these stories and ideas. Like heroin and crack addicts.
https://www.politico.com/story/2010/10/why-does-the-right-hate-soros-044343

People like Byron Williams,_______ listen to Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, etc. then grab their AR-15's and go postal. I can't use the term "wacko" to describe __________ otherwise I'd get the "final warning". But its easy to see the pattern of mindless zombie acceptance.