kallend

Federal employee pay freeze

Our fiscally responsible President, who gave away some $1.5 TRILLION in tax cuts for the wealthy, has decided that the country can't afford the promised pay raises for federal employees.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Our fiscally responsible President, who gave away some $1.5 TRILLION in tax cuts for the wealthy, has decided that the country can't afford the promised pay raises for federal employees.

I am sure we will only get the best people when we offer them less and less money.

kallend

Well DUH! How's he going to pay for the cuts without hurting the little guy?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

kallend

Let me guess, military federal employees are excluded....

They are paid more than their civilian counterparts. About damn time their bullshit got shut down!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

They are paid more than their civilian counterparts. About damn time their bullshit got shut down!

A quick search reveals I'm slightly under-qualified for federal jobs in my field that pay my current salary, in similar real estate markets. That would suggest that civilians make more than federal employees in my field.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

***They are paid more than their civilian counterparts. About damn time their bullshit got shut down!

A quick search reveals I'm slightly under-qualified for federal jobs in my field that pay my current salary, in similar real estate markets. That would suggest that civilians make more than federal employees in my field.

Do you have similar retirement benefits?

headoverheels

******They are paid more than their civilian counterparts. About damn time their bullshit got shut down!

I have a pretty good benefits package. It might be inferior to federal benefits in some respects, but I suspect it's better in many ways.

I almost certainly have better working conditions than my federal counterparts. For example, I enjoy my unshared, top-floor office with its 65+ square foot window and the view that it provides. For the most part, I set my own hours, and if I want to work from home I can.

jcd11235

*********They are paid more than their civilian counterparts. About damn time their bullshit got shut down!

I have a pretty good benefits package. It might be inferior to federal benefits in some respects, but I suspect it's better in many ways.

I almost certainly have better working conditions than my federal counterparts. For example, I enjoy my unshared, top-floor office with its 65+ square foot window and the view that it provides. For the most part, I set my own hours, and if I want to work from home I can.

Your window is only 65+ square feet? How ever do you manage with such a horribly small window? I’d refuse to work the day my window was less than 100+ square feet.

But seriously, brag much?

jclalor

But seriously, brag much?

Just calling BS on the claim that federal employees are overpaid compared to their private sector counterparts. As a taxpayer, I don't begrudge them their scheduled pay increases.

jcd11235

***But seriously, brag much?

Just calling BS on the claim that federal employees are overpaid compared to their private sector counterparts. As a taxpayer, I don't begrudge them their scheduled pay increases.

Spent any time at the post office lately?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

******But seriously, brag much?

In my area and in my experience, postal employees retire at a higher level than most middle-class workers.

Here in the north GA mountains they definitely live in the better houses, drive the better vehicles and own the larger properties.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

*********But seriously, brag much?

In my area and in my experience, postal employees retire at a higher level than most middle-class workers.

Here in the north GA mountains they definitely live in the better houses, drive the better vehicles and own the larger properties.

Which I think would be great...if they actually worked in anything other than 1st gear. To be fair the user interface at the POst Office needs an upgrade, badly.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

************But seriously, brag much?

Which I think would be great...if they actually worked in anything other than 1st gear. To be fair the user interface at the POst Office needs an upgrade, badly.

I think a lot of the bad feelings toward the Post Office come from the fact that everybody tries to go there on their lunch hour. Go there at 10:30 or at 2:30 and it's smooth sailing. It always irks me when 20 people come through the door within 5 minutes of each other at 12:05, then collectively bitch about how slow it is. I don't love waiting for 20 minutes to send a package, but I don't expect them to double their staff for the 60-minute window where they could use a few more bodies.
I got nuthin

Hi rush,

They are paid more than their civilian counterparts.

If nothing else, you are consistent. Throwing out your BS without knowing squat what you are talking about.

I worked for the feds for 30 yrs. Every year there is a Congessional commission that studies the pay for feds.

As a Mech Engr, I was paid about 85% of my civilian counterpart. As with any agency/firm/etc, there will always be a few that make more/less than others in the same job.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi rush,

They are paid more than their civilian counterparts.

If nothing else, you are consistent. Throwing out your BS without knowing squat what you are talking about.

I worked for the feds for 30 yrs. Every year there is a Congessional commission that studies the pay for feds.

As a Mech Engr, I was paid about 85% of my civilian counterpart. As with any agency/firm/etc, there will always be a few that make more/less than others in the same job.

Jerry Baumchen

You're correct. But across all countries government employees tend to have better retirement plans, more job security and more politics. Overall pay tends to be lower although there are periods of time, in recessions for example. When civil wages are temporarily above the competitive private marketplace. In job markets like now private sector compensation typically soars above civil paychecks.

Bitterness and envy seem to be the hallmarks of the trump clones, much like what drive the man himself. Old angry white men wondering how the World slipped from their grasp.
Unable or unwilling to consider that maybe, just maybe, there is another side to every story.

>Bitterness and envy seem to be the hallmarks of the trump clones

And a good helping of lost privilege. As groups they once considered themselves superior to gain power, they feel they are losing it that same power - and they want it back. Hence the support among Trumpies for walls to keep immigrants out, removal of rights for LGBT people, and policies that keep non-whites and non-Christians out of the US.

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=U.S._Postal_Service_(USPS)/Salary

Average mail carrier is at about $53,000 a year. That includes starting wages at $33000 to the average retirement wage at 78,000 a year after 35 years of service.

Counterparts at UPS report an average of 65000 a year for delivery drivers and that has a pay range of 32k-80k reported. That looks pretty close in line between them with UPS getting paid more but USPS getting better benefits at retirement.

Lets look at something different like an admin assistant - I see ads around here all day long for $17-20 an hour. That puts the yearly rates at 34-40k. US State Department admins report an average pay of 15.50 an hour. That is about 30k a year.

Here is a good breakdown from the CBO on this: https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52637

In fiscal year 2016, the government spent roughly $215 billion to compensate federal civilian employees. About two-thirds of that total was spent on civilian personnel working in the Department of Defense, the Department of Veterans Affairs, or the Department of Homeland Security.

Federal civilian workers whose highest level of education was a bachelor’s degree earned 5 percent more, on average, in the federal government than in the private sector (see figure below).
Federal civilian workers with no more than a high school education earned 34 percent more, on average, than similar workers in the private sector.
By contrast, federal workers with a professional degree or doctorate earned 24 percent less, on average, than their private-sector counterparts.

If you have no education you can get hired in at higher wage but as your skills and knowledge go up the civilian side tends to offer more pay.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Name me another place where you have to que like that.

It always irks me when 20 people come through the door within 5 minutes of each other at 12:05, then collectively bitch about how slow it is.

Do they not understand that most people can only visit them at lunch? That ought to be the time they have the most staff. Oh wait, I'm confusing the USPS with a business that needs to take good care of it's customers to turn a profit.

Destinations by Roxanne

Do they not understand that most people can only visit them at lunch? That ought to be the time they have the most staff.

How much of a budget increase will you ask yur congressman to lobby for so that the DMV can hire those extra staff?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?