Phil1111

Brett Kavanaugh, how to get a SC Nomination

Iago

Going back to someone's high school yearbook from 35 years ago absolutely reeks of desperation. I'm surprised they stopped there. They should have gone back to fifth grade and asked about kissing girls playing "spin the bottle."

Like it or not that IS the society we live in. It's not desperation (although you can choose to see it like that), it's just a shitty tactic like diving in a soccer match. Voting for whoever you want isn't going to change that and it's only going to get worse I suspect.

40 or 50 years from now the attack adverts will be full of posts from ancient facebook groups, random comments made in Twitch TV streams and on forums exactly like this.
It's a genuine concern of mine.

Everyone has done something stupid when they were young and drunk. EVERYONE. That's going to be fair game in the future, even if it isn't as serious as sexual assault. I've thought about this for some time and don't see any particularly easy solution for it.

yoink

***Going back to someone's high school yearbook from 35 years ago absolutely reeks of desperation. I'm surprised they stopped there. They should have gone back to fifth grade and asked about kissing girls playing "spin the bottle."

Like it or not that IS the society we live in. It's not desperation (although you can choose to see it like that), it's just a shitty tactic like diving in a soccer match. Voting for whoever you want isn't going to change that and it's only going to get worse I suspect.

40 or 50 years from now the attack adverts will be full of posts from ancient facebook groups, random comments made in Twitch TV streams and on forums exactly like this.
It's a genuine concern of mine.

Everyone has done something stupid when they were young and drunk. EVERYONE. That's going to be fair game in the future, even if it isn't as serious as sexual assault. I've thought about this for some time and don't see any particularly easy solution for it.

I have thought a lot about it, as well, and I am convinced you are absolutely right. For sure, there will never be a 1980's or 90's Skydiver nominated for the Supreme Court. Catholic Priest, maybe.

>You are absolutely right. How dare he get aggressive when defending himself from
>slanderous lies

So a woman's first hand account of an attempted rape is now "slanderous lies?"

I counted three days from her testimony to the first slut-shaming. And to think republicans actually asked "why didn't she come forward sooner?"

The Holy Spirit spoke to me and advised that you are a thoughtful and intelligent man. He said read 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians and, Revelation.

Listen for His voice to guide you. His voice is distinct from the other voice.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Murkowski gave a speech on the Senate floor that summed it up very well.

Interesting that this was the same person who called for Al Franken's removal without the due process she says was lacking in Kavanaugh's case.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Fast forward about thirty years and we've got two people in a marriage that's falling apart going through counseling with a therapist. One of them (from the prep-school party crowd) puts this jigsaw together in their head from various bits and pieces of their past (some real, some imaginary) and blames the marriage blowing up on that.

Fast forward a few more years and someone else from the party crowd pops up on national news. Maybe Ford did write the vague and non-descriptive letter to first, or perhaps someone knocked on her door doing opposition research. "You went to school with Brett Kavanaugh, correct?"

Nice theory. Unfortunately for that theory, she named Kavanaugh far before he was being considered for the Supreme Court. So unless your theory includes an army of women being prepped for each potential nominee, it doesn't make much sense.

So no, I didn't buy the pleated-skirt-blonde-pigtail good little girl routine.

Nor would I. Nor did she claim that.

I also don't agree with people saying nasty things about Ford either

Other than labeling what she said a "slanderous lie" that is.

Lastly, I don't believe it would've mattered one bit who Trump picked as his nominee. He was presented a list of 20 or so potential candidates by his advisors. That list would've been leaked to the opposition (if it wasn't
actually made public) and the Army of Flying Monkeys were unleashed. A massive arsenal of allegations, dirt, slander, rumors, etc was assembled covering every one of those potentials, and the missles were ready to fly towards whomever was selected.

You are absolutely right - and that will be true whenever either party nominates someone. So it behooves each party to choose someone who is ACTUALLY clean, eh?

You seem to see intense scrutiny as a bug. I see it as a feature.

RonD1120

The Holy Spirit spoke to me and advised that you are a thoughtful and intelligent man. He said read 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians and, Revelation.

Well, I do try hard and it means so much when deities notice. I'll add it to my reading list.

RonD1120

Who should read this? You or JoeWeber? If the latter should do, why didn't the holy spirit tell this directly to him?

How is this holy spirit/god communication working? In different languages, so I might be blessed to receive suggestions in my mother tongue??

Ya know, in my daily work in our law firm there are so so many voices around me, in different languages, some loud, some not that loud, some just whisper .... how to find out the *distinct* one ....? What's *the other one*??

Your advice to the above poster does not seem to be very clear, I have my doubts about your consultancy work .... :|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Personally I attended a number of those parties.
No matter what drugs nor how much alcohol was present and/or consumed, attempted rape wouldn't have been tolerated.
I can't even imagine it being attempted, but maybe I just went to better parties, or simply those with better quality humans.
Even the outlaw 1% biker events I've attended, messing with a woman without her approval would have resulted in your ass being forcefully and likely violently being removed from the premises, with a quickness.
I've even helped a few times.

The people backing up Dr. Fords statements seem to be quite believable.
Her mentioning this event to close personal friends, with details, years before we even know who Kavanagh was, makes it even more solid in my opinion.

My mom was raped when I was a kid.
She wasn't believed and she was shamed for it being her fault (wait they said it didn't happen!).
It did.
Trust me.

The accusation should have been taken seriously, not selectively nor short sighted.

Our government is losing trust and faith in multiple departments.

2 men with sexual issues regarding women to the point of violence and/or mistreatment, supported by a president with the same problems.
This isn't the country I was raised to think it is.

rushmc

Do you believe Paula Jones?

Another irrelevance from Marc.

Voters can get rid of scumbag senators at the next election. Ditto presidents.

Scumbag Justices are there for life.

Hence Justices should be, like Caesar's wife, above reproach.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

normiss

Personally I attended a number of those parties.
No matter what drugs nor how much alcohol was present and/or consumed, attempted rape wouldn't have been tolerated.
I can't even imagine it being attempted, but maybe I just went to better parties, or simply those with better quality humans.
Even the outlaw 1% biker events I've attended, messing with a woman without her approval would have resulted in your ass being forcefully and likely violently being removed from the premises, with a quickness.
I've even helped a few times.

The people backing up Dr. Fords statements seem to be quite believable.
Her mentioning this event to close personal friends, with details, years before we even know who Kavanagh was, makes it even more solid in my opinion.

My mom was raped when I was a kid.
She wasn't believed and she was shamed for it being her fault (wait they said it didn't happen!).
It did.
Trust me.

The accusation should have been taken seriously, not selectively nor short sighted.

Our government is losing trust and faith in multiple departments.

2 men with sexual issues regarding women to the point of violence and/or mistreatment, supported by a president with the same problems.
This isn't the country I was raised to think it is.

Nor is it what the world used to believe it to be.

World's Approval of U.S. Leadership Drops to New Low

https://news.gallup.com/poll/225761/world-approval-leadership-drops-new-low.aspx

U.S. Falls in Human Development Ranking

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-14/leader-to-laggard-u-s-falls-in-human-development-ranking
The U.S. has dropped in a global ranking of human development -- tumbling eight spots since the start of the decade to No. 13, according to a United Nations index tracking health, education and economic well-being.

Trump’s economic boom is only for the rich — and likely won’t help Republicans in midterms
https://www.salon.com/2018/09/14/trumps-economic-boom-is-only-for-the-rich-and-likely-wont-help-republicans-in-midterms/

Putin and the FSB. Plan and execute.

rushmc

Do you believe Paula Jones?

While happy there is another conservative on the court, not that happy that it's Brett since I tend to believe the Ford thing occurred.
I think Trump and the right would have been better served by dumping Brett and nominating a right leaning woman and ramming that through, rather than Brett which is just going to inflame left vs right.

However one thing you bring up is spot on. Unless the democratic party completely, and I mean COMPLETELY cuts ties with the Clintons, then their squawking about Brett was nothing more than political window dressing for the desire to delay confirming anyone until after the mid-terms.

Bill has been accused of quite a few sexual assault / harassment incidents in his time (including actual, not attempted, rape), and Hilary was complicit in attacking most if not all of those women in defense of Bill. By the standard applied to Brett, the Clintons should never be invited to speak at ANYTHING ever again and there should be a mob following them around and hounding them whenever they set foot in public.

Iago

First of all, I actually watched the CSPAN hearings and not just the sound bites and quotes on the news.

So you know as well as the left that Kavanaugh was lying. Or are you still in denial on that point?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

sorry Bill she didn't name him. She only told the therapist about a sexual abuse incident but never named any names. That is a left-wing media lie that you swallowed Hook Line & Sinker

she was also very consistent in her timeline until such time she decided to accuse Kavanaugh.

Her initial statements showed that the incident happened after Justice Kavanagh left High School.

later when the Dems got a hold of her she moved her date so that Kavanaugh could be accused.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

You can only hope them that no woman accuses you something without any backing evidence
Abraham Lincoln

>sorry Bill she didn't name him. She only told the therapist about a sexual abuse incident
>but never named any names.

More alternative facts from our favorite FOX News groupie!

"In an interview, her husband, Russell Ford, said that in the 2012 sessions, she recounted being trapped in a room with two drunken boys, one of whom pinned her to a bed, molested her and prevented her from screaming. He said he recalled that his wife used Kavanaugh’s last name."

>later when the Dems got a hold of her she moved her date so that Kavanaugh could be
>accused

And Kavanaugh claimed that he could legally drink when he was a senior, which is a lie.

Why does Ford getting a date wrong make her unbelievable, but Kavanaugh lying about a date makes him your hero? (Don't answer that - it's a rhetorical question.)

christelsabine

***The Holy Spirit spoke to me and advised that you are a thoughtful and intelligent man. He said read 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians and, Revelation.

Who should read this? You or JoeWeber? If the latter should do, why didn't the holy spirit tell this directly to him?

How is this holy spirit/god communication working? In different languages, so I might be blessed to receive suggestions in my mother tongue??

Ya know, in my daily work in our law firm there are so so many voices around me, in different languages, some loud, some not that loud, some just whisper .... how to find out the *distinct* one ....? What's *the other one*??

Your advice to the above poster does not seem to be very clear, I have my doubts about your consultancy work .... :|

The message came to me Monday AM from the Holy Spirit while I was in my morning devotion. I followed through.

God's first creation was The Word. He speaks your language.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Iago

***Funny how a black female tennis player is held to a higher standard to keep her emotions in check than a Supreme Court nominee.

You are absolutely right. How dare he get aggressive when defending himself from slanderous lies and exaggerated half-truths. He should've just sat there and taken it like a man.

If it is all false, why isn't anybody suing her for slander? Nobody has even suggested it.

Republicans: Oral testimony is unreliable.

Also Republicans: a book solely based on oral testimony decades and centuries after the fact is gospel and full of truth that people should devote themselves to.

FBI director Christopher Wray just testified that Kavanaugh's investigation was "limited in scope" due to "direction from the White House."

Let's all imagine what would have happened if Obama had "limited the scope" of the investigation into Hillary Clinton, and insisted it had to conclude in a week. Right wingers would have been threatening to kill FBI agents.

billvon

FBI director Christopher Wray just testified that Kavanaugh's investigation was "limited in scope" due to "direction from the White House."

Let's all imagine what would have happened if Obama had "limited the scope" of the investigation into Hillary Clinton, and insisted it had to conclude in a week. Right wingers would have been threatening to kill FBI agents.

Of course, they don't even try to hide their duplicity and hypocrisy anymore.

What Kavanaugh is accused of doing is reprehensible regardless of age. Of course because of how it was played, and played it was, it really wasn't proven in a legal definition sort of way. However, it never mattered to me at all whether Kavanaugh did it or not, if it was good or bad, left or right or even up or down. I simply wanted the Democrats to deny him the seat in spiteful, vindictive retribution for the theft of Obama's Supreme Court appointment. I would have wanted that if there was not a single accusation against him as there was not against Merrick Garland.

By doing so, the left might have demonstrated that they are not such obviously inconsequential political nincompoops. And then maybe, just maybe, the party of duplicity and hypocrisy would have cooled their jets a little.

But nope, we fucked it all up again. The R's hang together tighter than the Sopranos and practice omerta, infallibly. They stay on message and look strong. The Dem's consistently do the chicken little thing, pecking at their own feathers and running in circles screaming Uh-oh!, Uh-oh!. So, of course they were fucked.

Out thinking the right ain't working. Out moralizing them ain't working, either. Dem's need to harden up and out maneuver them like they do to the Dem's with such apparent ease. The Dem's are already self flagellating before next fight starts while the right are flanking them, again.

The left also just might want to put a hold on all of the laughing at the right wing claims of winning and winning. From their perches they definitely are winning. Tax cuts, regulations evaporated, science denied, religious interests strengthened, those pansy Europeans got a talking to, the Chinese got sent a bill and were put on notice, brown people are being dealt with, the LGBT community is under attack, the courts are being packed with right wing ideologues who will be there for decades to come, and, in spite of himself, Trump hasn't blown up the world. Fucking A they think they are winning, and winning is motivating. Let's face it, the Dem's retaking the House is hardly guaranteed and counting on it is dumb.

The Dem's need to learn how to play this game and start winning, too. That, or they need to get used to the new normal.

The left also just might want to put a hold on all of the laughing at the right wing claims of winning and winning. From their perches they definitely are winning. Tax cuts, regulations evaporated, science denied, religious interests strengthened, those pansy Europeans got a talking to, the Chinese got sent a bill and were put on notice, brown people are being dealt with, the LGBT community is under attack, the courts are being packed with right wing ideologues who will be there for decades to come, and, in spite of himself, Trump hasn't blown up the world. Fucking A they think they are winning, and winning is motivating. Let's face it, the Dem's retaking the House is hardly guaranteed and counting on it is dumb.

And the right is going to continue to "win", regardless of whether the Dems take back the house. Expect Roe v Wade and marriage equality gone within two years.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

billvon

We already know that the investigation of Hillary was limited!
Abraham Lincoln