Phil1111

Brett Kavanaugh, how to get a SC Nomination

billvon

>Brett Kavanaugh and pals accused of gang rapes in high school, says lawyer Michael Avenatti

While I would consider believing a victim who testified herself to such an assault, I trust Avenatti about as much as I trust Sean Hannity. He's an entertainer, not a reliable spokesperson.

Avenatti is a lawyer. Hannity is a d-bag. I'm thinking that if Anenatti has nothing he has an ethics problem. Hannity, not so much.

billvon

Kavanaugh said in a statement, "This alleged event from 35 years ago did not happen. The people who knew me then know that this did not happen, and have said so. This is a smear, plain and simple."

Quite frankly, that illogical train of thought should be sufficient to disqualify him from the bench. Any bench, not just SCOTUS.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

***Kavanaugh said in a statement, "This alleged event from 35 years ago did not happen. The people who knew me then know that this did not happen, and have said so. This is a smear, plain and simple."

Quite frankly, that illogical train of thought should be sufficient to disqualify him from the bench. Any bench, not just SCOTUS.

I'm not sure what there follow-up statemet would be, "Oh yeah, that night when Kav pulled his dick out...nope, that never happened. I wonder if he still has that John Belushi shirt he was wearing when he didn't do that."
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I have skepticism for this lady's story, and that is coming from the father of a 12 year old daughter. First she never went to the police then, or now that has been reported. Second she wants HIM to testify at the committee first before she does which goes against all norms going back to roman law. Third she doesn't want to do it under oath. Fourth she does not want any lawyers in the room, and lastly which I completely understand she doesn't want him in the room.

FallsFast

I have skepticism for this lady's story, and that is coming from the father of a 12 year old daughter. First she never went to the police then, or now that has been reported. Second she wants HIM to testify at the committee first before she does which goes against all norms going back to roman law. Third she doesn't want to do it under oath. Fourth she does not want any lawyers in the room, and lastly which I completely understand she doesn't want him in the room.

I think that's an aspect of her being swept up in this rather than proof that she was lying. As for why she didn't go to the authorities think of all the reasons why if you were a 15-year-old female in 198X you would not have gone to the police or even your own parents.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

> As for why she didn't go to the authorities think of all the reasons why if you were
>a 15-year-old female in 198X you would not have gone to the police or even your
>own parents.

"Hey Mom. You know how you told me never to go to those parties where there was drinking, and to not drink until I'm 18? Well, I went to one and had a beer, and then a drunk guy assaulted me. You won't give me any grief when I want to see my friends again, will you?"

FallsFast

I have skepticism for this lady's story, and that is coming from the father of a 12 year old daughter. First she never went to the police then, or now that has been reported.

I'm sorry, but if you think that's unusual then you're incredibly naive[:/]
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The first and last part I stated is somewhat excusable as a young scared girl did not want to go to the police, what’s stopping her now? Why was this hidden for two months? Care to comment on the parts in the middle, or the fact that Booker wrote an article himself admitting to “stealing second base”? I’m an independent so im stuck in the middle point fingers at all of them. Wanna crucify Brett? Better throw booker and any others on the cross also.

FallsFast

The first and last part I stated is somewhat excusable as a young scared girl did not want to go to the police, what’s stopping her now?

The statute of limitations? What would be the point?

FallsFast

There is no statute of limitations in Maryland for this.

Ok, cool. In that case - how do you prove it? At this point, what is the realistic chance of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that something criminal happened?

Besides, people move on. She may well think that what happened is no longer worth pursuing criminal punishment for, or that it would serve no useful purpose. Let’s face it, thinking that it justifies criminal proceedings after all this time is quite a high bar to pass. Thinking that it should disqualify him from being one of the 9 most important guardians of the nation’s laws is a much, much lower one.

jakee

***The first and last part I stated is somewhat excusable as a young scared girl did not want to go to the police, what’s stopping her now?

I wonder when Marc gets back from vacation because i don't subscribe to Fox news. I'm sure Fox has the trump cult talking points for Thursday, today. Ron?

Phil1111

******The first and last part I stated is somewhat excusable as a young scared girl did not want to go to the police, what’s stopping her now?

I wonder when Marc gets back from vacation because i don't subscribe to Fox news. I'm sure Fox has the trump cult talking points for Thursday, today. Ron?

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Phil, don't remind the Mod's.

Ok, cool. In that case - how do you prove it? At this point, what is the realistic chance of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that something criminal happened?

Maybe if she had wrote it on a calendar and kept the calendar for 30 year then she would have all the proof she needs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers

FallsFast

The first and last part I stated is somewhat excusable as a young scared girl did not want to go to the police, what’s stopping her now? Why was this hidden for two months? Care to comment on the parts in the middle, or the fact that Booker wrote an article himself admitting to “stealing second base”? I’m an independent so im stuck in the middle point fingers at all of them. Wanna crucify Brett? Better throw booker and any others on the cross also.

Who says she wants to crucify him. maybe she just thinks that the actions she is aware of should preclude him from being a SC justice?

Meanwhile, Bill Cosby will be classified as a "sexually violent predator". Looks like he will die in prison.
It's a real shame the women he assaulted couldn't just "move on" I guess.
While the men who reported the Catholic sex abuse are seen as "brave".
Wonder what the differences are in these cases?

Your words:
"Besides, people move on. She may well think that what happened is no longer worth pursuing criminal punishment for, or that it would serve no useful purpose. Let’s face it, thinking that it justifies criminal proceedings after all this time is quite a high bar to pass."

That bar isn't all that high IMO.

normiss

Your words:
"Besides, people move on. She may well think that what happened is no longer worth pursuing criminal punishment for, or that it would serve no useful purpose. Let’s face it, thinking that it justifies criminal proceedings after all this time is quite a high bar to pass."

Right. The other guy was casting doubt on her story because she isn't pursuing criminal charges. I suggested some pausible reasons as to why someone would not want to pursue charges for a historical sexual assault while still making it public.

I did not, nor would I ever, declare which course of action a victim of such an assault should take, or offer an opinion on whether the course of action she is taking is right or wrong.

Is there any part of that you have a problem with?

I was thinking of the effort it would take on her part and the potential personal toll it could take in return for a very small chance of success. It's a much bigger undertaking than what she's doing now. Either decision is quite understandable.

Trump today:

"The second accuser has nothing. She admits that she was drunk. She admits time lapses. She said she was totally inebriated and she was all messed up, and she doesn't know it was him but it might've been him. 'Oh gee, let's not make him a Supreme Court judge because of that.' "

As was inevitable for any Trump personnel issue, he has now reached the "all the women are lying!" phase.

I think anyone who has suffered any type of abuse and especially sexual abuse, has already paid enough personal tolls.
Remaining silent is not the way for us to try to end sexual assaults.
I do understand it's a very tough, yet personal decision on how one deals with it though.

The law in MD at the time of the alleged offense is what matters:

Statute of limitations:

Based on Blasey Ford's account, prosecutors could have theoretically charged Kavanaugh with a crime like attempted rape or unwanted sexual touching over clothing. However, in 1982, those crimes had a one-year statute of limitations. In other words, Blasey Ford would have had to report the allegations to law enforcement by 1983. She did not.