Phil1111

Brett Kavanaugh, how to get a SC Nomination

skinnay

***Maybe you should spend a bit more time at Harvard, Yale, CNN, New York times to name a few...they make my point clearly almost on a daily bases.

Truth is a bitter pill, but it has been know to heal when properly taken.

He asked a pretty clear question of what part of the constitution it is you think the left is afraid of. I'm curious as well what you think that is?

Funny how they can never answer this.

>The left is not opposed to Justice Kavanaugh, they are opposed to the Constitution.
>It's the Constitution that scares the shit out of them.

Not at all. In fact, it's pretty useful to the left nowadays.

If anything, Trump is getting to be very afraid of the parts of the Constitution that maintain an independent judiciary and that give Congress the power to impeach. And the right tries very hard to ignore the part of the constitution that gives Congress the power to provide for the general welfare of the people of the United States. It doesn't fit with their agenda.

And of course the right is getting more and more opposed to that pesky First Amendment. Why, just today Trump is wondering why authors have the freedom to say mean things about him, and is wishing they didn't have that.

rushmc

***>You want to pick judges you got to win elections.

Unless it's a Democratic president, of course.

So you're saying Obama didn't get any of his nominees voted in?

Does the name "Garland" ring a bell?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

ryoder

Looks like Cory Booker just added some excitement to the proceedings: https://www.newsandguts.com/video/cory-booker-releases-confidential-documents-kavanaugh/

I applaud Booker for taking this stand and the Senators who followed him.

There is no doubt the committee and Rs in general are using classifications to hide information.

I am also sure that Ds have done this in the past. Wrong is wrong and it should get called out.

SkyDekker

***Looks like Cory Booker just added some excitement to the proceedings: https://www.newsandguts.com/video/cory-booker-releases-confidential-documents-kavanaugh/

There is no doubt the committee and Rs in general are using classifications to hide information.

I am also sure that Ds have done this in the past. Wrong is wrong and it should get called out.

Kamala Harris made him look like a lying weasel.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

SkyDekker

***Looks like Cory Booker just added some excitement to the proceedings: https://www.newsandguts.com/video/cory-booker-releases-confidential-documents-kavanaugh/

NPR just reported that those documents were released to the public at 0400 this morning, but the people in the hearings (on both sides) were unaware that it had been done.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Stumpy

******Looks like Cory Booker just added some excitement to the proceedings: https://www.newsandguts.com/video/cory-booker-releases-confidential-documents-kavanaugh/

You are right. Nonetheless, that won't matter at all if she doesn't have the goods. And if the goods aren't named Kasowitz, Benson or Torres then the connective tissue will need to be mighty strong.

headoverheels

I just watched that. Kavnanaugh made himself look like a lying weasel.

It should be no secret. If Kavanaugh gets to the Court, and Trump needs one vote to spare him from a subpoena or indictment, Kavanaugh is his best bet at survival.

headoverheels

I just watched that. Kavnanaugh made himself look like a lying weasel.

Emails leaked to the New York Times showing that Kavanaugh expressed doubts about whether Roe v. Wade was "settled law" in 2003, contradicting what he reportedly told Senator Susan Collins last month.

Emails released by Senator Corey Booker dealing with racial profiling and affirmative action, included a 2001 thread in which Kavanaugh described affirmative action regulations at the Department of Transportation's as a "naked racial set-aside."

Emails highlighted by Senator Patrick Leahy showing Kavanaugh involved in the nomination of the controversial Judge William Pryor, giving the lie to Kavanaugh’s sworn testimony at his appeals court hearings in 2004. As Leahy noted, “He testified — repeatedly — that he "was not involved in handling his nomination. Thanks to documents released at 3 a.m. this morning, we now know that’s not true."

Pretty clear evidence of perjury. Not that the corrupt, venal congressional GOP will care.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

billvon

>Kavnanaugh made himself look like a lying weasel.

For Trump, that's a feature, not a bug.

All judges are lawyers at heart. Obviously he wants the court appointment. So he will dance around any questions that attempt to pin him down into an untenable position politically.

So now we have a woman who has testified that Kavanaugh tried to rape her when she was 15. She has written evidence back from 2012 when she got therapy over the attempted rape, she has several witnesses who spoke to her about the attempted rape well before Kavanaugh was in the running for the Supreme Court, and she's passed a lie detector test with flying colors.

Kavanaugh, of course, has denied it all - both to Congress and to the American people.

Back in 1998 Kavanaugh wrote a memo about a man who had had inappropriate sex with a woman, had lied to Congress, and had lied to the American people. In the memo he noted:

"It is our job to make the pattern of his revolting behavior clear - piece by painful piece."

"He should be forced to account for all that and defend his actions."

"Aren't we failing to fulfill our duty to the American people if we willingly conspire . . . to conceal the true nature of his acts?"

That person, of course, was Bill Clinton.

Let's see if he is willing to do what he demanded others do.

billvon

So now we have a woman who has testified that Kavanaugh tried to rape her when she was 15. She has written evidence back from 2012 when she got therapy over the attempted rape, she has several witnesses who spoke to her about the attempted rape well before Kavanaugh was in the running for the Supreme Court, and she's passed a lie detector test with flying colors.

Kavanaugh, of course, has denied it all - both to Congress and to the American people.

Back in 1998 Kavanaugh wrote a memo about a man who had had inappropriate sex with a woman, had lied to Congress, and had lied to the American people. In the memo he noted:

"It is our job to make the pattern of his revolting behavior clear - piece by painful piece."

"He should be forced to account for all that and defend his actions."

"Aren't we failing to fulfill our duty to the American people if we willingly conspire . . . to conceal the true nature of his acts?"

That person, of course, was Bill Clinton.

Let's see if he is willing to do what he demanded others do.

EDIT: Written under the assumption that the above is in reference to a BC sexual assault allegation.

I think there are leagues between what Bill Clinton did as a sober adult and what Kavanauh attempted to do as a 17 year old. However, I will not defend his actions.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I think there are leagues between what Bill Clinton did as a sober adult and what Kavanauh attempted to do as a 17 year old. However, I will not defend his actions.

I agree that the actions of a 17 year old should be looked upon with more tolerance than those of an adult. But Lewinski was not forced to do anything against her will. Huge difference there.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

I agree that the actions of a 17 year old should be looked upon with more tolerance than those of an adult. But Lewinski was not forced to do anything against her will. Huge difference there.

Oh, it was in reference to that? Assumed it was about one of his accused sexual assaults.

Well, there is that other stuff. Hound dog Billy got away with some stuff that he really should have done time for. No one listened to the victims at the time though. That stuff is not proved, but I've heard enough now that I believe most of it really happened.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Well, there is that other stuff. Hound dog Billy got away with some stuff that he really should have done time for. No one listened to the victims at the time though. That stuff is not proved, but I've heard enough now that I believe most of it really happened.

I think we've gotten better as a society at understanding accusers and the things that validate their accusations. That said there were many people at the time giving Bill Clinton way more credit or benefit of the doubt than they should've.

DJL

The only meaningful difference is consent. And that one difference makes ALL the difference.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

DJL

That said there were many people at the time giving Bill Clinton way more credit or benefit of the doubt than they should've.

He got a special investigation and was impeached. That's nothing like getting the benefit of the doubt.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

***That said there were many people at the time giving Bill Clinton way more credit or benefit of the doubt than they should've.

He got a special investigation and was impeached. That's nothing like getting the benefit of the doubt.

There were a few other allegations from before he became POTUS. Not just of affairs, but at least one rape victim. There is strong reason to believe at least some of them. He would never have been elected or nominated if they were known at the time. It was during the period when women mostly just kept quiet about being abused by powerful men. Like until very recently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton_sexual_misconduct_allegations

There were a few other allegations from before he became POTUS. Not just of affairs, but at least one rape victim. There is strong reason to believe at least some of them.

Agreed. I always thought that, compared to the Lewinsky allegations, those were by far the more serious. Having sex with another consenting adult in an office is surely unprofessional, but far from criminal. Why concentrate on the consensual sex when there were far worse allegations out there?

In any case, Clinton didn't get impeached for having sex with anyone, but for lying to Congress. It is looking like Kavanaugh may be committing a similar offense.

DJL

I would legitimately not be surprised if he has no memory of this and could pass a polygraph to prove it.

A polygraph does not mean squat.
It is 20th century witchcraft.
It is a stage prop in an interrogation to scare people into confessing.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.