gowlerk

Nike/Colin Kaepernick or Trump?

SkyDekker

***Let's see...CK is protesting discrimination and oppression. Nike is oppressing it's workers.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-real-march-madness-nike-ditches-university-commitments_us_58deba30e4b0d804fbbb72b7

Nike’s refusal to abide by the policies of the universities and allow WRC access to its suppliers turns the clock back on the company’s corporate social responsibility commitments by nearly two decades. Nike is effectively signaling disregard for worker testimony, a move that is not only undermining local human rights advocates but also a bad business decision at a time when many companies are seeking out more information about their operations, not less.

Nike is to be applauded for it's humanitarian work on behalf of CK. M'kay

I wonder if CK can colour in a US flag. We already know your president can't.

But it is all about honouring the flag and being a patriot....right?!?

No...my post is about Nike's hypocrisy.

I don't purchase Nike brands. Overpriced clothes made in countries that oppress workers.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

There is no doubt about it. Nike is all about Yankee capitalist abuse of poor people labouring in poor countries. It has always been so. It has never had any significant manufacturing in the US. Although it is a Dow 100 listed corporation doing very well and currently engaged in a large scale stock buy back program.

There is no reason at all for anyone to admire their ethics or morals. They are now taking sides in the culture wars for marketing reasons only. But they are very clever, they have chosen carefully, and it will work for them.

I also don't buy high priced sporting goods just because of branding. Except maybe skydive gear. I generally favour the large name brands because of high resale values. PD, Sunpath, UPT, even though I know the SA products are just as good. Funny how that works.

>Not so much for the Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, VA. Last I heard, they're still closed . . .

Well Billy, looks like you are about as accurate as . . . Trump supporters in general. From two months ago:

========================
The Red Hen Reopens to Protesters and a Fully Booked Dining Room

The Lexington, Virginia restaurant that ejected Sarah Huckabee Sanders has been closed for two weeks, following protests and harassment

by Whitney Filloon Jul 6, 2018, 9:45am EDT
Eater magazine

After a two-week hiatus, the Lexington, Virginia restaurant that ejected Sarah Huckabee Sanders is open once again. The Red Hen ignited a political firestorm after asking the White House Press Secretary to leave mid-meal on June 22, sparking online harassment, wild conspiracy theories, and the doxxing of its owner, and it closed its doors a few days later as the restaurant was swarmed by protesters — until reopening on Thursday night.

According to USA Today, a mixed group of protesters and hopeful customers waited outside for the Red Hen to open at 5 p.m. The former carried signs with messages like “Red Hen 2018 = 1960 Woolworth Lunch Counter,” while the latter were turned away unless they had a reservation. (A sign in the restaurant’s window explained it was fully booked.)
==========================

Confucious12

***I think this is as stupid as a boycott of in and out burger.

Yes, seems to be working out well for In N Out. Business has been booming! B|

Not so much for the Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, VA. Last I heard, they're still closed, and the town is spending emergency money to repair the town's image.

Nike is large enough to weather this though.

The Red Hen has re-opened. Yes, the town is trying to get it's tourism back into shape but considering it's home to two well established mid-sized colleges that shouldn't be an issue. In any case they'd do well to drop the type of tourist who gets their undies in a bunch considering how many other options the town is able to promote.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

billvon

You must walk around naked, cause there isn't much clothing that isn't overpriced and isn't made in countries that oppress workers.

He is now madly googling to find out what sort of clothing to claim he is wearing.

I know there are 2 logos everyone loves to wear; Nike and Underarmour I don’t own any of either. You are correct in assuming that I probably wear clothes whose manufacturers exploit their workers. None of them are using CK to promote their product.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

gowlerk

Nike is not just dissing Trump. It's just spit in the face of the NFL owners. Who up to now have been partners. The zeitgeist around the issue has been changed overnight.

I don't see it that way. The owners have issued a statement that reads:

“The National Football League believes in dialogue, understanding and unity, We embrace the role and responsibility of everyone involved with this game to promote meaningful, positive change in our communities. The social justice issues that Colin and other professional athletes have raised deserve our attention and action.”

Something to keep in mind is that Nike has huge (and I mean hyuuuuge) deals with the NFL.

No way does the league hierarchy hammer on Nike over this and risk losing all that money.

And, somehow not too surprisingly, an old white guy managed to put himself in the hospital...

By setting his shoes on fire...

While still wearing them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

airdvr

******Let's see...CK is protesting discrimination and oppression. Nike is oppressing it's workers.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-real-march-madness-nike-ditches-university-commitments_us_58deba30e4b0d804fbbb72b7

Nike’s refusal to abide by the policies of the universities and allow WRC access to its suppliers turns the clock back on the company’s corporate social responsibility commitments by nearly two decades. Nike is effectively signaling disregard for worker testimony, a move that is not only undermining local human rights advocates but also a bad business decision at a time when many companies are seeking out more information about their operations, not less.

Nike is to be applauded for it's humanitarian work on behalf of CK. M'kay

I wonder if CK can colour in a US flag. We already know your president can't.

But it is all about honouring the flag and being a patriot....right?!?

No...my post is about Nike's hypocrisy.

I don't purchase Nike brands. Overpriced clothes made in countries that oppress workers.

Nike a market value of $93 billion. "Nike's hypocrisy"? Its about MARKETING. Its how they got to be a $93 billion dollar company. By taking perhaps $5 worth of material in Vietnam and selling it to a black, 20 year old, male, in the US for $200.

Who likely doesn't give a damn about trump, republicans, or politics.

The irony of all these folks who had no problem backing those on the Bundy ranch protesting by putting LEO’s in the cross hairs of loaded high powered rifles, but now get their panties in a bunch for a couple of the brothers taking a knee.

I wonder what’s so different?

>In marketing, nothing is worse than having everyone know who you are and no
>one interested in what you sell.

Very true; companies want everyone to know who they are AND have people buy their stuff. With that in mind:

=======================
Despite Outrage, Nike Sales Increased 31% After Kaepernick Ad

By GINA MARTINEZ Updated: September 10, 2018
TIME

Despite the backlash in the wake of Nike’s endorsement deal with Colin Kaepernick, the sportswear company has seen a 31% increase in online sales, according to one outside estimate.

Nike sales grew 31% from Sunday through Tuesday over the Labor Day holiday this year compared with the previous year, according to Edison Trends.

On Sept. 3, Nike debuted their new campaign featuring the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback, who sparked the wave of NFL national anthem protests against racial inequality last year. His actions enraged many, leading Kaepernick, who is currently an unsigned free agent, to claim he has been blacklisted by NFL leadership. Nike followed up on Wednesday, releasing an ad featuring Kaepernick, which aired during the NFL season opener on Thursday.
========================

Not saying that's wrong... but, I haven't had time to investigate whether it's correlation or causal. My first instinct is to think that it makes for good news; but, I don't know if its normal back to school seasonal purchases (mandated by the schools as to which brand needs to be purchased), or an included discounted pricing, or the significant percentage of purchases made by China recently were factors in the increase.

I'll do some research on it and see. Will be interesting to find out. Probably start out with Statista, but they usually run a quarter behind. More later.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

skyderrill66

ck needs to be strung up by the neck for disrespecting the flag and the veterans that died so a piece of shi? ck can act like duche.

Seems not all veterans agree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yi5DILEEZ8
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

skyderrill66

ck needs to be strung up by the neck for disrespecting the flag and the veterans that died so a piece of shi? ck can act like duche.

If there's anything my father and grandfathers stood for by going to war it was so we could lynch people who don't adequately proselytize their patriotism.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

skyderrill66

As your President and Commander in Chief so wisely pointed out to a wife of a killed veteran:

They knew what they signed up for.