ryoder

NYT: "I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration"

billvon

>The best solution is the 25th Amendment.

I found this line somewhat ironic:

"there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president. But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis."

Using the Constitution to remove a president from power is the opposite of a Constitutional crisis. Indeed, it is what the Constitution is FOR - a rulebook of how to do things in the US government.

Trevor Noah has a couple great analogies to skewer that argument: http://www.cc.com/video-clips/56550o/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-an-anonymous-official-trashes-trump---bob-woodward-s--fear--exposes-white-house-dysfunction
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

New York Times better be DAMN SURE that they have a legitimate source for this article. This person knows very well that writing this op-ed and getting it published will have a very real consequence within his/her own office and is a very real attempt to publicize efforts to undermine the highest office in the country.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I was once employed as a program manager for a social service organization that was federally and state funded. The organization was run by the COO who regularly cussed the managers both in private and publically. He demeaned us in staff meetings and degraded us to our colleagues.

We did the same thing the anonymous writer of the Op-Ed piece claims to have done. We banded together in mutual support and validation to accomplish the goals of the program. In time many of us, myself included, resigned because of the stress and anger.

The organization still functions and so far as I know the COO is still running the show.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

jcd11235

***New York Times better be DAMN SURE that they have a legitimate source for this article.

I'd be surprised if the op-ed was submitted anonymously.

It was not.
The identity was confirmed by the NYT.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Cut and paste from the New Yorker. Andy has a good point here. Maybe there is hope.....

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Millions of Americans were startled by the revelation on Wednesday afternoon that there was someone working in the Trump White House capable of writing an entire editorial, reports indicate.

In a nation already rocked by a series of bombshells since Labor Day, the news that an anonymous senior White House official had the command of the English language necessary to compose a seemingly coherent Op-Ed piece suitable for publication in a major newspaper was perhaps the most improbable development of all.

Davis Logsdon, a professor of linguistics at the University of Minnesota, said that a team of language experts under his supervision has studied the Op-Ed word by word and is “in a state of disbelief” that someone currently working for Donald J. Trump could have written it.

“There are complete sentences, there are well-structured paragraphs, there is subject-verb agreement,” he said. “This does not appear to be the work of any White House staffer we’re familiar with.”

Stressing that he and his team of linguists are “not even close” to determining the author, Logsdon said that they were currently using the process of elimination to whittle down the list of possible scribes.

“Based on the mastery of language that we see here, it’s not Sarah Huckabee Sanders, John Kelly, Stephen Miller, or Kellyanne Conway, and it’s definitely not Jared,” he said.

Andy Borowitz

Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

ryoder

******New York Times better be DAMN SURE that they have a legitimate source for this article.

I'd be surprised if the op-ed was submitted anonymously.

It was not.
The identity was confirmed by the NYT.

Yes, the NYT said so themselves:

"The Op-Ed article was submitted to Times opinion editors last week through an intermediary, Mr. Dao said. “It was clear early on that the writer wanted anonymity, but we didn’t grant anything until we read it and we were confident that they were who they said they were,” he said."

If I were them I wouldn't have published it without a 100% guarantee that this person is who they say they are and can verify it in person. They're putting a lot of faith in an intermediary.

Edit: Something like this doesn't get delivered without a goal in mind and that goal is not to qualm our fear by letting the US public know that there's some kind of altruistic secret group saving America from Trump. This very much is an attempt to put something in motion.

Just as I suspected, the essay is the work of an elite Democrat left-leaning academic.

Simply put, it is propaganda and it means nothing.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Just as I suspected, the essay is the work of an elite Democrat left-leaning academic.

Your proof of that?

Or if we’re into the realm of stating opinion as fact then it’s obviously Donald Trump himself who wrote it. He’s got split-brain personality and it is actually his own right-brain personality hiding these documents and writing the Op-Ed piece.

billvon

>>Just as I suspected, the essay is the work of an elite Democrat left-leaning academic.

>Your proof of that?

He means the Borowitz Report article. He didn't know it's satire. Poe's Law strikes again.

Fucking priceless isn't it. So entrenched they can't sniff out bullshit.

billvon

>>Just as I suspected, the essay is the work of an elite Democrat left-leaning academic.

>Your proof of that?

He means the Borowitz Report article. He didn't know it's satire. Poe's Law strikes again.

Or he is a step ahead you you. Ron can do sarcasm as well.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***>>Just as I suspected, the essay is the work of an elite Democrat left-leaning academic.

>Your proof of that?

Or he is a step ahead you you. Ron can do sarcasm as well.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Ron demonstrates a good bit of wit.

RonD1120

What exactly is the rebuttal from that article? That the author is gutless? Yeah, maybe, but that has no bearing on what was said. That it was treason? I'm not sure how that could be the case, but for sure it couldn't possibly be treason if it wasn't true.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

billvon

>The best solution is the 25th Amendment.

I found this line somewhat ironic:

"there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president. But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis."

Using the Constitution to remove a president from power is the opposite of a Constitutional crisis. Indeed, it is what the Constitution is FOR - a rulebook of how to do things in the US government.

Staff members stealing bills from the president's desk because they don't like them - that is much closer to a Constitutional crisis.

This law professor who studies the Presidency thinks the 25th amendment wouldn't work to remove Trump.

https://theconversation.com/what-the-25th-amendment-says-about-presidents-who-are-unable-to-serve-102825

He seems legit.

http://www.law.msu.edu/faculty_staff/profile.php?prof=44

At the minimum it's not a clear cut pull the lever and be free of the asshat amendment.

Beyond all of that, if there really is a White House resistance and if the anonymous "senior official" really is senior, and also credible, until another shoe drops it's just another so what moment.

As awful as Trump is we don't need the precedent of a self appointed shadow government. The writer and any co-conspirators need to out themselves now. If they have what Mueller needs, then great. If not just clean out your desks and be gone.

If a mole inside of the Obama administration wrote this during his terms, conservatives would be leading the charge to impeachment.

If Obama had written that Anthony Weiner and Corrine Brown shouldn't be charged because of upcoming elections and slammed the DOJ, Ryan and crew would be printing up impeachment articles in a split second.

If Hillary put Chelsea and her hubby in the West Wing, heads would explode on Fox News.

If Obama golfed every single weekend, Rush Limbaugh would be livid.

If Michelle Obama had posed nude in her younger days, religious leaders would be apoplectic.

Odd times my friends...

>This law professor who studies the Presidency thinks the 25th amendment wouldn't
>work to remove Trump.

It would certainly _work_. Here's what it says, in part:

"Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President."

So if Pence and most of the cabinet want to invoke that part of the 25th amendment nothing is stopping them. Trump is then relieved of duty and the vice president takes over.

However, Trump can also fight it. If he decides to fight it, then the issue goes to Congress and they decide, needing 2/3 majorities to override the president.

So it would certainly work to remove him from power temporarily (a timeframe measured in days.) But to remove him from office for longer than that, impeachment would be easier.

https://theconversation.com/what-the-25th-amendment-says-about-presidents-who-are-unable-to-serve-102825

He seems legit.

http://www.law.msu.edu/faculty_staff/profile.php?prof=44

At the minimum it's not a clear cut pull the lever and be free of the asshat amendment.

I'm not sure if I agree with his assessment. Certainly it's not straightforward and not realistic - since if the President objects (and he would) the issue goes to Congress, where it needs even more support than a successful impeachment would.

But, the simple fact that it contains a provision for the President to object surely means that it envisions the amendment being used against a President who is conscious and (at least somewhat) lucid. In practice then, the question of what constitutes an inability would lie purely with the Executive staff and Congress - just as the question of what is impeachable also lies purely with Congress.

grimmie

If Obama had written that Anthony Weiner and Corrine Brown shouldn't be charged because of upcoming elections and slammed the DOJ, Ryan and crew would be printing up impeachment articles in a split second.

Would you believe neither Ron nor Rush have commented on that tweet? Shocking, isn't it:P

If Michelle Obama had posed nude in her younger days, religious leaders would be apoplectic.

Damn dude, they busted a nut when she wore a sleeveless top. Christ knows what would have hapened if she'd taken it off.

>Damn dude, they busted a nut when she wore a sleeveless top.

And don't forget the shitstorm that ensued when Obama wore a tan suit.

Remember those days? Where the worst thing someone could say about a president was "he mispronounced corpsman" - not "he colluded with Russia to try to swing the election?"

billvon

>This law professor who studies the Presidency thinks the 25th amendment wouldn't
>work to remove Trump.

It would certainly _work_. Here's what it says, in part:

"Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President."

So if Pence and most of the cabinet want to invoke that part of the 25th amendment nothing is stopping them. Trump is then relieved of duty and the vice president takes over.

However, Trump can also fight it. If he decides to fight it, then the issue goes to Congress and they decide, needing 2/3 majorities to override the president.

So it would certainly work to remove him from power temporarily (a timeframe measured in days.) But to remove him from office for longer than that, impeachment would be easier.

Removing him for a few day's is not what I'd call working. That and who can measure what harm his reinstatement might do to an subsequent impeachment effort or what benefit it might bring to his reelection effort.