airdvr

Get ready for a robot to film your jump

It's an interesting idea though it would take a lot of work to make a robot that can effectively manage abrupt and extreme changes in air speed, loss of target or all the other craziness that could happen. A funnel out the door and the thing would be useless. Its like the whole unmanned car thing, it's fine under normal operating conditions but when a baby falls into the road will it know it's better to side swipe the car next to it rather than hit the child? The tech is definitely advancing but in my opinion it's not there yet and especially when it comes to split sec decision making.

CANOPY COURSE Video Training with Brian Germain at AdventureWisdom.com

From the seminar at the UK skydiving expo about 3 years ago where the team that designed this presented it, I seem to recall that it uses GPS to navigate and has its own parachute which deploys at a set altitude. It then uses the GPS to steer the canopy back to land on the DZ.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

These guys have been working on the design for quite a while now. They're skydivers themselves and are well aware of the challenges involved. It will be interesting to see where it all goes. There would be advantages and disadvantages.

The thing that ultimately would concern me is it's something somebody from "the team" (formal or informal) would have to toss out of the plane and somewhat keep track of after breakoff and under canopy. I see that as more of a danger in several ways than any of the control issues.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

That's a really great point in regards to the distraction of a team member having to manage the device. Since it's a device using GPS and not taking into consideration other canopy traffic it could pose a collision/entanglement issue. It would not even be able to see the other traffic.

It's a huge under taking but still a very interesting project. It will definitely be neat to see where it goes.

CANOPY COURSE Video Training with Brian Germain at AdventureWisdom.com

Lets face it, whilst cool, this is nothing more than a university project. I'd be amazed if the designers were doing it with any real expectation that they can build a profitable business around it within sport skydiving. This is for grades and as a calling card for a graduate job somewhere in robotics, aerospace or defence etc. and good luck to them in that.