keithbar

Whoffo. Posers

Working the same nursing agency for ten years . I don't try to brag about jumping. But they all know I'm a jumper;). . Hear the other day " oh you need to talk to so and so a new nurse she is a skydiver and got hurt doing it " meet her . so your a skydiver ? Hear you got hurt. Were you doing a tandem ?" Oh know we jumped from 14000 " but I had a problem with my chute and it was below 10000. " and you don't throw your reserve below 10000 ":S it was somewhat controllable but I landed hard and got hurt. So ok so how many jumps you got ? Oh that was back in 2008 I don't remember. at this point my Spidey sense is tingling pretty hard but I don't want to call her or lying bitch to her face Oh well rant over:P
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Jumper friend of mine got a new next door neighbor. He and his family were invited over. This was in the 70's. The guy had a pic of himself in a rig on the mantle. Stood there posing and telling the story of his 3 jumps. When he was done, my buddies 4 year old daughter said: "My mommies got 12. "
Next time they came to the house, the pic was gone and no mention of his heroics.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Flying back from Thailand after one of the World Team events, Craig Girard and Eliana Rodriguez (two of the best 4-way jumpers in the world at that time) were sitting next to some American guy. One of them had a skydiving T-shirt or something on, and he noticed and said "Hey! I did a tandem! It was great; we went to like 30,000 feet or something, and we were in freefall forever! And then . . . ." On and on with the usual first-time-tandem misunderstandings and exaggerations.

They listened, said "that's great! Sounds like fun" and asked him a few more questions afterwards. Don't think he ever asked them about why they had the skydiving logo, or what they did.

That's the model I use for newer skydivers who talk to me now.

billvon

Flying back from Thailand after one of the World Team events, Craig Girard and Eliana Rodriguez (two of the best 4-way jumpers in the world at that time) were sitting next to some American guy. One of them had a skydiving T-shirt or something on, and he noticed and said "Hey! I did a tandem! It was great; we went to like 30,000 feet or something, and we were in freefall forever! And then . . . ." On and on with the usual first-time-tandem misunderstandings and exaggerations.

They listened, said "that's great! Sounds like fun" and asked him a few more questions afterwards. Don't think he ever asked them about why they had the skydiving logo, or what they did.

That is the classy response to someone like that, and I'd expect nothing else from those guys.

People who make spurious claims about their skydiving experience, whether intentionally or not, are not generally doing any harm. It's hardly a 'stolen valour' situation, where they are claiming credit for something we've done. I've never thought that skydivers are due any particular kudos for jumping out of aeroplanes. :)

Sounds plausible to me...I'm guessing AFF student.
After almost ten years I can imagine that the facts and corresponding altitudes get pretty jumbled in a her head.

I probably would have asked her whether she had in the neighbourhood of 5, 50 or 500 jumps and would have taken it from there. :)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Baksteen

Sounds plausible to me...I'm guessing AFF student.
After almost ten years I can imagine that the facts and corresponding altitudes get pretty jumbled in a her head.

I probably would have asked her whether she had in the neighbourhood of 5, 50 or 500 jumps and would have taken it from there. :)

You'd be surprised at the number who answer 500, thus falling right into the cunningly laid trap. You can have some fun with these people.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Bah... People have a kind of fascination with skydiving... Only a seasoned skydiver can realise it's not such a big deal... Smile and nod and listen patiently and let those idiots feel like they have their moment of glory. Honestly there are far worse things than vain fucktards... :D:ph34r::ph34r:

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

oldwomanc6

The good news is even if you can't correct them or call them out on it, you can make fun of them behind their backs.

Eh, much more fun if they figure it out on their own. And if not, well, they had fun making big claims.

About ten years ago I was having lunch in the Argus at Brown and a bunch of Navy guys came in and were chattering about their jumps. Two were static line and one was AFF.

"Dude, AFF is SO much better than static line!" said the one. "Static line is for pussies."

"Yeah, well we get a lot more jumps for the money than you do," fired back one of the other guys.

One of them noticed my generic Air Adventures shirt. "Hey, you think static line or AFF?" asked one of them.

"Well, I gotta say, the people who come off the SL course are generally better at canopy control, and that's what's getting people hurt," I said.

Mr. AFF said "You too? Dude, you gotta try AFF! It's scary, sure, but it's better than those stupid pop and hop pulls that you guys do."

"Well, to each their own, I guess," I said. He continued with his blather.

We all walked back together. Out of the office came Denny, who was some kind of god to these guys.

"Hi Denny!" I yelled.

"Uh . . . you know Master Chief Chalker?" AFF guy said, looking worried.

"Yeah, we work together."

"Oh."

Denny walked over; apparently we were on the next jump with AFF guy.

"Hey Bill, you mind if I go main side on this next jump? We have the squid here; I trained him for his level 3."

"Again with the main side? You always want main side." Denny wasn't sure if I was being serious. "Sure, go for it."

The guy turned positively green. Later I realized that from his perspective I outranked Denny, and he'd been mouthing off to me.

He did pretty well on the jump, though, to his credit.