Bye_gravity

Cooking garlics in college dorm?

Hey, he was over the top on that bit. But still, it was a great rant and it really hit the spot with many people. If you really want to see examples of over the top vegans just go on over to the PETA site. There is no shortage of far more insulting animal rights zealots than I can stomach there.

But you are also right. In real life the vegans I know mostly just go about their business and don't tell me what I should eat. But many of them do make a point of letting everyone know about their righteous diet. I suppose if you are going to make the sacrifice of give up so many tasty foods you would want to at least be recognized for your moral superiority!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Then I guess you're not with Bourdain on this one. He clearly hates vegetarians. If you don't care what people eat, then you are at odds with his stance.

And again, no one is asking you to change your diet, and no one is demanding any restaurants change their menu.

- Dan G

The vegans I know don't talk about their diet at all unless asked. I think it is like skydivers. The brand new ones won't shut up about it, but the ones who've been around the block are sick of having the same conversation over and over again.

We had a house guest last weekend. My wife's best friend who she's known since middle school. Not only is she a vegan, she's worked for PETA for decades. You would never know she was a vegan unless you asked her, and then she'd bend over backwards not to be an imposition. It could be that the vegans you know are either new to it or just coincidentally are also assholes.

- Dan G

so its an OTT rant BUT he makes a lot of really valid points. especially this:

"It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold."

Most of the vegetarians I know make horrible dietary choices and don't get nearly enough protein. Funny story- I used to work with a vegetarian who also partied hard and loved the band Phish. Every time she went off on a Phish weekend she would come back sick as a dog. This one time, a friend brought her some French Onion Soup from a local restaurant. She slurped that soup down, swore it was the best soup she ever had. I think she ended up buying that soup every day for a week. I quietly smirked every time and decided not to tell her it was made with beef stock. She needed the protein and I had to cover for her when she was out sick!

The day she found out, she looked like she had lost her best friend. awww