Bye_gravity

Cooking garlics in college dorm?

Is there anyway to fry garlics in college dorm without the risk of me being thrown out of the window? I know this stuff is aroma to some but ammonia to many more, plus its smell spreads like a gas attack. Sorry but I just cannot make pasta sauce without them.:D
You fly with the wind, or the wind flies you.

fanya

Are people complaining?

If so, fuckem. If not, then who cares!

Send em to a safe space w/ a teddy bear, coloring book and a box o tissues. Maybe the garlic yells racism:P
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Bye_gravity

Is there anyway to fry garlics in college dorm without the risk of me being thrown out of the window? I know this stuff is aroma to some but ammonia to many more, plus its smell spreads like a gas attack. Sorry but I just cannot make pasta sauce without them.:D

If you are in a college dorm, don't you have access to the college cafeteria? Instead, why not move out of the dorms as soon as possible and just refain until then. It will give you something to look forward too.

I doubt it would bother me if I were there, but I've run into passive-aggressive types in college, and this could be interpreted by some as that kind of behavior.

Bye_gravity

Most college dorms smell like unwashed arse anyway. I'd take cooking garlic over that any day!

And garlic powder is no substitute.

Lawndarter

but not so much for the token vegan in the place...

Why is it OK for vegetarians to come round for dinner and expect me to do a vegetarian option, but suddenly if I expect a steak when I go round to theirs I'm the asshole?

NO. TOFU ISN'T THE FUCKING SAME. :|

I'm with Anthony Bourdain on this issue.
:P

“Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter-faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn.

To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold.

Oh, I'll accomodate them, I'll rummage around for something to feed them, for a 'vegetarian plate', if called on to do so. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant and zucchini suits my food cost fine.”

― Anthony Bourdain

Shitty? Once, maybe. But it's tough to continually come up with new flavor profiles for vegetarian dishes. I wouldn't call someone unable to do that a shitty chef - more like someone who CAN do that a fucking Rembrandt.

It's like asking a painter to paint a portrait without the colors black, white or red.

Yeah, he can probably do it. If he's REALLY good he'll probably make a decent job of it. But for the rest of us mortals I choose not to hamstring myself when it comes to producing flavorful dishes.
Removing access to ingredients necessarily limits the palate of flavors you have to work with.

Is there anyway to fry garlics in college dorm without the risk of me being thrown out of the window?

In the mid 90s we'd burn popcorn in our dorm to mask the smell of weed, and nobody threw us out of a window.

By sophomore year, we learned that our Indian roommate's curry dishes along with our Arab roommate's Hookah were a better combo with our American "stinkin' weed."

20 years later, our Arab roommate is now an oncologist who reefers "select patients" to our American roommate's medical marijuana dispensary. Those "select patients" then go out to our Indian roomate's restaurant for munchi, er, dinner once a month. . .I love this country!

Dunno; I regularly choose the vegetarian option on menus. Not because I'm a vegetarian, just because the flavors, while they can be subtle, are just as complex and interesting as those of meat.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well, the average person cooking at home probably has trouble coming up with new flavor profiles regardless of the ingredients they use. Most people have a pretty limited number of dishes they cook. Every now and again they might try something new, but probably not often.

The idea that leaving out three basic ingredients (beef, chicken, pork) somehow limits the possible flavors is ridiculous. Most of the flavor in a dish comes from the seasoning, not the meat. If it didn't, then all beef dishes would taste the same.

Either way, Bourdain is a hack if he can't cook vegetables that taste good.

- Dan G

Finely slice. Do not use a garlic press/crush

Put in into a pan on medium heat with olive oil.

Use pan with a lid.

garlic needs about 60 seconds before adding other ingredients.

Once the other ingredients are added the garlic smell will be less powerful

For amazing Italian food try this channel - Genaro Contaldo one of the best Italian Chefs - very simple and delicious food.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gennarocontaldo

normiss

I'm with Anthony Bourdain on this issue.
:P

“Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter-faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn.

To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold.

Oh, I'll accomodate them, I'll rummage around for something to feed them, for a 'vegetarian plate', if called on to do so. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant and zucchini suits my food cost fine.”

― Anthony Bourdain

Fully agree with Anthony. Fuck em.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

No, what he said was he would rummage around and serve some grilled eggplant and zucchini for $14 a plate. That's not cooking with a love for food, it's cooking with a hatred of food. It's sad.

Some of the best meals I have ever had did not contain meat. If you can't imaging eating a meal without meat being the center of attention, you are denying yourself some great culinary experiences.

And as far as this "fuck vegetarians" attitude, it's really annoying. I have never met this supposed vegetarian who gives omnivores unsolicited shit about eating meat. The internet makes you think all vegetarians (and especially vegans) are nose-in-the-air liberals who go into restaurants and throw fake blood on other diners. It's not like that at all. On the other hand, omnivores love giving vegetarians shit about choosing not to eat meat. What the fuck do you care? More bacon for you.

- Dan G

I don't. I find it funny, odd, and somewhat ridiculous the current "dietary requirements" of some Americans was my only issue with it.
I could care less what people eat or don't.
Don't expect me to make huge exceptions to my chosen menu though, just like I wouldn't expect perfection at the places or events I dine at. I chose accordingly for my desires at the time though, others could do the same.