Ehecatl

Holes emerge in Hawaii women's tale of survival in the Pacific

They said they would have been dead in 24 hours after being rescued, yet the pic in the story shows one of them still having the strength to climb up the ladder on the rescuing boat. Uhhh riiiiight....

If my boat is disabled like they said theirs was, I'm using every goddamn piece of equipment I have to call for help. They didn't.

Then there's the storm they sailed into that the weather authorities say didn't exist in that area at that time.

Yep, plenty of holes in their story. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

yoink

***They said they would have been dead in 24 hours after being rescued,\

Why? They had a desalinator and fresh dog to eat... There's a good couple of weeks right there. :ph34r:

Depends on how long they're able to keep the dog meat fresh. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ehecatl

Something fishy going on with their story:
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/10/31/holes-emerge-in-hawaii-womens-tale-survival-in-pacific.html

And, rumor has it that this Jennifer Appel is a former skydiver - does anyone know her?

Inquiring minds want to know...

This is the topic du jour on all my boating groups. The consensus is that they're trying to drum up interest in a movie, book, TV deal for their "harrowing ordeal" in which their engine went out and they decided not to use the sails because they claimed there was a teeny bit of damage in their rigging. The only risk is that if they were too dumb to fake this correctly then they were probably too dumb to keep their desalinator working and had a real risk of dying from dehydration. But people have survived worse and they had a year's worth of food.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

BillyVance

******They said they would have been dead in 24 hours after being rescued,\

Why? They had a desalinator and fresh dog to eat... There's a good couple of weeks right there. :ph34r:

Depends on how long they're able to keep the dog meat fresh. :)

It stays fresh if you only cut off and cook one part at a time ;-)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Ehecatl

And, rumor has it that this Jennifer Appel is a former skydiver - does anyone know her?

Actually I might have jumped with her.
People on sailing forums were trying to find out about her background, and found her facebook page -- which showed 2 mutual Friends when I checked it. Huh!

When I asked one, he said that Jennifer had jumped at the Parachute School of Toronto for a summer in around 2008-2010, a place I occasionally jumped at. I think I recall her, as having an experienced female jumper -- from Texas I think -- showing up out of the blue in my area was unusual.
(This would have been before her Hawaii days. She has very few Public photos on facebook, especially before 2015, but 1 or 2 suggest she was touring part of the eastern side of the US in summer '09 on her motorcycle.)

pchapman

***And, rumor has it that this Jennifer Appel is a former skydiver - does anyone know her?

Actually I might have jumped with her. People on sailing forums were trying to find out about her background, and found her facebook page -- which showed 2 mutual Friends when I checked it. Huh!
Well for gosh sakes, man, share her web address with us!

rather than drum up conspiracy theories.... it is quite possible that these people are just two of the stupidest people on earth that decided to sail across the pacific with having no clue what they were doing..... and now they are trying to save face.

I am not sure why anyone gves a shit what their motices were or are.

Ehecatl

Checked her Facebook friends list...
Several Appel's in there, but no Walt.
No friends with skydiver-theme profile photos.

Walt doesn't, or didn't use his real name on Facebook. Last I knew, he was Liktur Titzoff.

Say that out loud. :D

BillyVance

******They said they would have been dead in 24 hours after being rescued,\

Depends on how long they're able to keep the dog meat fresh. :)saltwater and sun maybe.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Ehecatl

Checked her Facebook friends list...
Several Appel's in there, but no Walt.
No friends with skydiver-theme profile photos.

She's friends with a friend of my friend, some guy who works at a Hawaii DZ.

I'm a yachtsman and thought this looked "dodgy" upon first seeing the news announcement. I paused the TV and replayed pointing out all the questionable elements to my wife.

Just clicked on their interview video. YES, they do both seem dim as shit. This is definitely a scam of some nature on their part.

Here's some other yachtsmen take on the events:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/194207-five-months-adrift/
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

My facebook liveaboard sailing group is threatening to kick out anyone who posts stories about these two because they make everyone's head hurt. I think the Islander woman was brought along for the ride and the blonde woman convinced her to go along with the story, she'll cave in first. They need to get them in separate rooms, get their stories and then fine them to pay for the rescue and for being idiots.

A friend of mine who jumped at the new Spaceland shortly after it opened said she was a free flier there at the time. Nice, spoke with everyone, not just free fliers.

I wasn't there at the time, so that's all I got.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ok, while I am curious about the psychology of liars, this has gone further than I needed to know.... the ladies made it into that esteemed publication, the Daily Mail:

EXCLUSIVE: Truth about the bungling yachtswomen 'lost at sea for five months' - one was crash-prone 'kinky sailor' who paid for trip by working as a dominatrix - and the other had never sailed at all (and now they're planning to write a book)

NSFW!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5063707/Bungling-yachtswoman-kinky-sailor-dominatrix.html#ixzz4xy1UTj1C

I've been on some multi-week sailing trips, never as far out as they were but I have some points to make that I think are well informed.

1-They did have a emergency sat beacon. They decided, consciously, not to use it in their circumstance because they were not in immediate danger. They had food stores and a functioning desalinator. I respect their decision, their reasons for it and would have done the same under the same conditions. You're not going to hit you SPOT device for a sprained ankle. If they were within a week of running out of food I'm sure they would have used it.

2-They're exaggerating in the heat of the moment. If there was not a premeditated plan for a book deal or just a morning show appearance I still give them a pass. No other human contact for months can make a person do stupid things.

pchapman

Ok, while I am curious about the psychology of liars, this has gone further than I needed to know.... the ladies made it into that esteemed publication, the Daily Mail:

EXCLUSIVE: Truth about the bungling yachtswomen 'lost at sea for five months' - one was crash-prone 'kinky sailor' who paid for trip by working as a dominatrix - and the other had never sailed at all (and now they're planning to write a book)

NSFW!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5063707/Bungling-yachtswoman-kinky-sailor-dominatrix.html#ixzz4xy1UTj1C

Wow, what a fuckin' zoo.

pchapman

NSFW!

So she's experienced with tying knots and lashing with a cat o nine tails. >:(