ryoder

BBC Witness: The Exploding Whale

True story:

I worked as an explosives Tech Rep then Advanced Services (aka Training) in the 90s. We used that video every time we could to talk about proper stemming, and flyrock dangers :ph34r:

We also used an internal video of the 1st time our company did a full scale blast at a quarry of a new type of bulk explosive (dopped emulsion). It as before my time, but they had setup the camera equip at twice the distance they thought was safe (and we're talking about one of the most well know, respected group of industrial explosive development team in the world)... 3 high speed cameras (when those were stupid expensive), and 1 regular speed... the footage of the 1 surviving high speed cam was AMAZING lmao :D

Remster

JerryBaumchen

Hi Robert,

The Exploding Whale

Since I lived here then, I did see it on the local news.

Every few years, when another whale washes up on the beach, they drag out this video ( not the BBC version, the local version ) and show it.

:P

Jerry Baumchen

You know those guys had been sitting on the box of explosives waiting to use them for something. Once someone said, "Let's try blowing it up." it wasn't a question of how much they should use but how much then CAN use.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

When I did the assault pioneer's course years ago there was a formula for calculating how much explosive was required for a particular job. IIRC it was fairly complicated but the instructors always included "+P" on the end of it - P standing for plenty. I think the whale bombers overdid that part of the calculation.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

rifleman

When I did the assault pioneer's course years ago there was a formula for calculating how much explosive was required for a particular job. IIRC it was fairly complicated but the instructors always included "+P" on the end of it - P standing for plenty. I think the whale bombers overdid that part of the calculation.

I'm betting their only regret was that they didn't use more.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher