Iago

Anyone know about pro-grade chainsaws? The big suckers.

The high end Stihl's are pretty much the top choice, will go for years and take a brutal beating. Commercial grade for sure, but also not for amateurs. - they will cut your fucking leg off, and certainly with stupid people using them can result in catastrophic injuries.

Send a dozen chains with them as well. i am sure sharpening will be a chore down there, so all the help they can get

Iago

***The high end Stihl's are pretty much the top choice, will go for years and take a brutal beating. Commercial grade for sure, but also not for amateurs. - they will cut your fucking leg off, and certainly with stupid people using them can result in catastrophic injuries.

Send a dozen chains with them as well. i am sure sharpening will be a chore down there, so all the help they can get

Oh yeah, these will be restricted use. I plan on picking up some kevlar suits to send with the saws, too.

Big question I'm trying to sort out is if they really need the big saw, or will a smaller saw with a larger bar do the job. The one their asking for is 77cc. I don't really know how power translates to performance in the chainsaw world. If a 60cc saw with a 32" bar will work (i.e. a 460 Rancher series,) even though the recommended max is 24", I'd rather send them that at half the price and put the capital into something else.

I used a Husq 455 with a 24" bar at my ranch for clearing Eucalyptus trees that were up to three feet thick. Very dense wood and dulls a chain in no time. The 455 handled every situation great, was easy to start and use, swapping out chains was easy in the field as well. A little heavy, so I could only handle the thing about six hours at a time. I had a smaller chainsaw for smaller jobs just so I was lugging that thing around to trim a branch.

I probably could have had a Stihl work just as well, but the local shop stocked Husqvarna and had plenty of parts.

These definitely aren't for the noob or the unprepared.

Jump more, post less!

I used a 066 and ms660 stihl for years.Second gen. helicopter timber faller. A tuned up 046 stihl will pull a 32" bar chain just fine. All depends on what kind of edge you put on the chain (square chisel or round) and raker depth! 5 years in Southeast Alaska using a hot tuned Stihl 046 in 3' to 6' spruce with a 36" bar and it did just fine. 15 years in the profession and my body is worn out to say the least! :S