Rylan

Attention: skydivers who have been injured

Skyfriends-

My sister is in grad school and doing a paper for forensic anthropology. She is looking for any stories of injuries in our sport. Specifically regarding how any of your bones would be different than how you were born. Any input is greatly appreciated, and it doesn't have to be sky related injuries. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post publicly. Thanks!

This is her question verbatim:
"if investigators were to find your body's skeleton perfectly conserved in its grave, what would they be able to learn about your past from birth to death based only off of your bones. this includes injuries, medical conditions etc. remember, this is your BONES only."

Blue skies,
-Rylan
Blue skies

You would find my normal skeleton except for a fractured and healed right calcaneus with damage to the talus and arthritis in the subtalar joint. This injury would most likely lead an investigator to believe I had a fall, typically from a ladder. Or possibly a motor vehicle accident. It actually occurred as a result of an unflared landing on a concrete surface.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Well, if I were going to be buried, you'd find my left radius bone had a clean break, from sticking my hand up against the door frame of a Twin Otter when I stumbled going out the door on a 100+ way attempt.

You'd also find a broken rib from being thrown off a damn horse.

Then there's the 3rd metatarsal bone in my right hand which I broke punching a wall right at a stud. That would be interesting... I never got it re-set, as I never went to the doctor for it. :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ok:

Right patella, vertical crack, appx age 30 when injury occurred.

Left Tibia, nasty complete break about 1/3 up, with a spiral up and down from the break, appx age 28

Right Tib, Fib, and growth plate smashed in from both sides (crushed under a horse, actually) appx age 15 - that's why the growth plate wasn't fused yet.

Several bones in the left foot (don't ask me exactly which ones or what their names are) broken from a sudden up lift of the front of the foot (landed with my toes on an edge - don't do that), appx age 12.

No surgery on any of these. No pins, plates or screws. Just set and cast and wait.

Hope this helps. Any specific questions, feel free to PM.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Only thing they'll find on my skeleton is a chip off of one side of my nose bridge caused by a shortened pool stick. Happened at The Cave near Casa Loma in Tempe, AZ around 1972 or 73. Quarter tequila night. Also, a bridge in my mouth and maybe some stress cracks in my skull and face from bicycle accidents. No injuries at all from time spent in "hazardous" sports ...boat racing or skydiving, or from rolling a full-sized 69 Chevy station wagon.

billvon

There was a poster here a while ago - Dead Mike - who would have an epic story preserved in his maxilla. I haven't heard from him in a while though.

Oh God yes. Mike Vederman. I witnessed his accident at Quincy at the 1997 WFFC. Countless surgeries. Fucked his face up all kinds of different ways. It's a miracle that he survived.

His website is still up. Chronicles the ordeal he went through. View the pics with an iron stomach if you can.

http://www.deadmike.com/
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

***There was a poster here a while ago - Dead Mike - who would have an epic story preserved in his maxilla. I haven't heard from him in a while though.

Oh God yes. Mike Vederman. I witnessed his accident at Quincy at the 1997 WFFC. Countless surgeries. Fucked his face up all kinds of different ways. It's a miracle that he survived.

His website is still up. Chronicles the ordeal he went through. View the pics with an iron stomach if you can.

I held c-spine on dead mike until medics loaded him. Being up close and personal seeing bis broken teeth through his face I truely thkught he was dead. Surprised the hell out of me the next day when I heard he was alive. The guy an bkur before him that hooked into a camler didn't make even though we got a heart beat back before transport.

To op. They'd find a plate a few inches up on my fibula with six screws. Obviously missing a chunk or fwo. The tibia woud have a y shaped plate on the jnside with five intact screws and the end of a screw buried deep missing about 2/3 of the head end. Screw broke in first 6 months and head end backed out under skin unril removed. May see bone in my ankle added from my hip. Don't know what my illiac creast would look like with bone harvested. They would see that there was a compression injury that blew apart the tibia down over the talus. Extream traumatic arthritis that ened up with 5 degrees of mobility and matching notch and groove from constant friction without cartiledge. They would know I survived decades after injury from amount of wear. 1987 What they wouldn't find is any corresponding injury on the other leg. None. So they might wonder how I so severly injured one leg and not the other. Hit a crotch of a tree with that foot under partially open canopies vertical at 20-30 mph. Then rescued from tree so no other injury. If creamated I'd rattle in the urn.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Rylan

Thank you all very much for the input everyone. This has been extremely helpful. She has enough to talk about now and will begin writing. No further responses are needed. Thanks again and blue skies

Aaww was writing while you posted. Think she'd like the mystery of one side only and broken screw. Want an xray?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Rylan

Thank you all very much for the input everyone. This has been extremely helpful. She has enough to talk about now and will begin writing. No further responses are needed. Thanks again and blue skies

What! Doesn't she want any more horror stories of a pancaked Calcaneus? I have one. :ph34r:
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

councilman24

******There was a poster here a while ago - Dead Mike - who would have an epic story preserved in his maxilla. I haven't heard from him in a while though.

I held c-spine on dead mike until medics loaded him. Being up close and personal seeing bis broken teeth through his face I truely thkught he was dead. Surprised the hell out of me the next day when I heard he was alive. The guy an bkur before him that hooked into a camler didn't make even though we got a heart beat back before transport.

I was packing my rig in the Alabama Gang compound just a few yards away from the camper where the guy hooked in. I missed the whole thing. Didn't even look up until after I'd finished my rig and they were loading him in the ambulance. That's how fucking deaf I am. :S

Wasn't there also another guy who died hooking in at the swoop pond that year?

And who could forget the stuffed bear or whatever it was whistling into the cornfield under a tiny malfunctioning canopy after the sunset load? I saw that. Thought a real person went in. Even called in a helicopter to search the field from the air. :S:D

I was walking on the taxi way rigbt under tbe camper guy. He was heading into the wind for a landong in tbe wid open grass area. No one in bis way. Absolutlely no reason to turn. Not trying to do a 360 to swoop. Turned for no reason 180 low and slammed into a camper. I couldn't believe he was turning.

I spent a lot of time in the corn field looking for that damned bsar.😠
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

oldwomanc6

***Thank you all very much for the input everyone. This has been extremely helpful. She has enough to talk about now and will begin writing. No further responses are needed. Thanks again and blue skies

What! Doesn't she want any more horror stories of a pancaked Calcaneus? I have one. :ph34r:

Doesn't matter - we do.
This thread is morbidly fascinating somehow. :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

councilman24

***Thank you all very much for the input everyone. This has been extremely helpful. She has enough to talk about now and will begin writing. No further responses are needed. Thanks again and blue skies

Aaww was writing while you posted. Think she'd like the mystery of one side only and broken screw. Want an xray?

By all means, send it!
Blue skies

They would find a broken nose.
My neck and lumbar spine have arthritis.
My right shoulder has a couple of loose bone fragments and arthritis.
My right hand has a fracture and arthritis.
My left knee has a steel plate either screws and arthritis.
I will rattle in my urn after cremation.

My bones would have a c-spine fusion, C5-7, with anterior and posterior plating, an old right arm fracture, a right hip replacement and severe degenerative osteoarthritis throughout my entire body with significant bone development in the joints