TriGirl

Blue strobe lights on vehicles

I grew up with a fire inspector, who drove a department car with red and white strobe lights on it. My step-dad explained that people should be able to tell it was not a police car because it didn't have blue lights. Based on his instruction, and supported by every other emergency vehicle I've seen around the country, I've understood that only law enforcement vehicles are allowed to have blue strobes (sometimes mixed with red and/or white, but blue indicates police).

Lately I've seen several vehicles in the northern Virginia area with blue strobes -- a couple of them were tow trucks (historically would have had orange/yellow lights), and a few were just personally owned vehicles with blue strobes as decoration.

Was I mistaken to believe that only law enforcement could have blue lights on their vehicles? If that was the rule, when did it change?
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

You are not mistaken and I have recently noticed a significant increase in their use outside law enforcement. It just so happens that my front road is going from two to four lane and even the guy with the slow/stop sign has red/white/blue strobes on his vehicle. I been meaning to check this out. Back with more findings....
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

First off, lighting rules and regs are a "State Law" issue. Each state sets it's own rules. Some states are very strict, not allowing any "unauthorized" lights to even be installed on the car. Others (WI is on this list) allow just about anything to be installed, they just can't be lit up on a public road.

Some states (MI & NY I think) still have all red on the cop cars, no blue.

Some states (GA) have only blue on cop cars, no red lights.

Up in Canada, blue lights are on snowplows, not emergency vehicles (yes, I know Canada is a different country, not a "state" :P).

Generally, tow trucks use yellow when towing a car, red when stopped on the side of the road.

Last, if a cop car has both red and blue lights, the blue is almost always on the right side of the car. That tells you which way the cop car is facing, and gives an idea of what side of the road it's on from a distance.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Well, in Oklahoma - everyone except civilians can have red, white, blue police looking lights as long as they are some form of Police, DOT, emergency responder, (Wreckers are considered emergency responders) etc. The only exception I found in the code was - pilot vehicles can only have amber lights.

As for those blue (or other color) undercarriage neon lights people use to accentuate their antique vehicles or motorcycles - they can be installed, but not turned on while moving. I put blue neons under my motorcycle and ran them at night so cages could see me better. I guess that was a waste of money cause I found out its a $90.00 fine.

Short Course: It would appear its by jurisdiction.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

First off, lighting rules and regs are a "State Law" issue. Each state sets it's own rules. Some states are very strict, not allowing any "unauthorized" lights to even be installed on the car. Others (WI is on this list) allow just about anything to be installed, they just can't be lit up on a public road.

I would agree with this, except these vehicles were all on public roads (come to think of it, a couple were seen in Maryland, too). I didn't know about blue lights in WI. Interesting.

Some states (MI & NY I think) still have all red on the cop cars, no blue.

I've never seen a cop car without blue (except the removable "cherry" light on unmarked cars). I went to college in Michigan -- cops had blue on the cars there then.

My biggest concern here is that this morning a white vehicle was coming toward me on a two-lane road, with blue lights flashing. It looked like an SUV of some sort, similar to some of the law enforcement vehicles in this area. Therefore, I pulled over. As it got closer (and of course once it passed) I could see it was a tow truck. If I keep seeing blue lights on non-police vehicles, I won't think about ceding right-of-way when an actual law enforcement vehicle is approaching, so was wondering whether anyone else (particularly in law enforcement) could clarify anything more.

Shut Up & Jump!

BIGUN

Well, in Oklahoma - everyone except civilians can have red, white, blue police looking lights as long as they are some form of Police, DOT, emergency responder, (Wreckers are considered emergency responders) etc.

This makes sense to me. Any emergency vehicle for which other drivers would be required to yield.

As for those blue (or other color) undercarriage neon lights people use to accentuate their antique vehicles or motorcycles - they can be installed, but not turned on while moving. I put blue neons under my motorcycle and ran them at night so cages could see me better. I guess that was a waste of money cause I found out its a $90.00 fine.

I would think the neon lights UNDER a car could be any color. I think your idea of having them for added safety (assuming they were steady color and not distracting) would be encouraged, especially for motorcycles. I have heard in other areas that they are illegal while the vehicle is in use, but that was in an area where the trend was to have more elaborate and distracting lighting schemes (posed danger to other drivers on the roads).

Shut Up & Jump!

Hi T. It used to be popular to put a blue dot in the middle of your brake light on motorcycles. I had a few friends that got ticketed for it but that has been a long time ago. Same with the blue neon. I always thought that only police were allowed to have blue lights but I have not done any research.

edit to add: this was in Florida
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

This is my setup (attached)... Having said that, I've passed many a police officer and nobody has yet to pull me over. Maybe its their discretion or maybe its because most of the cops in my area have bikes also. But, eventually, I'll get that all enforcing code guy who'll pull me over because he can.

Michigan state police have a single red rotating light. Local/County may have blue on them. Don't know for sure. Same with New York. State cops have all red. At least they used to. Now that I think about it some more, I could be wrong on New York.

I had an interesting conversation with a Wisconsin State cop some years back. Wisconsin has fairly strict laws on what can be illuminated on a car. White or amber to the front, amber on the sides (except a red rear corner marker) red to the rear, except turn signals can be amber and (of course) back-up lights are white.

Any other colors, or the "pavement illuminator" lights or really anything can get a ticket, if they are turned on.

But, any lights in any color or location can be installed and functional. Having red lights anywhere but the back, and blue lights anywhere will get the attention of the cops.
I could legally install a red/blue lightbar on the roof of my car. But the cops will notice it. And if there are any incidents of "impersonating an officer" involving a fake cop car, I can expect a visit from the "local law enforcement."

Some states (NY IIRC) don't allow any 'noncompliant' lights to be installed. Having them even on the vehicle can get a ticket, banned from the road until the lights are removed, or even towed and impounded. I've heard stories of 'out of staters' with illegal lights (installed but not lit up) getting fairly serious tickets (several hundred dollars worth) and being told that their vehicle could be impounded if the cop wanted to.
If you are on the roads of a given state, you have to abide by their rules.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I was pretty confused when I went back to Texas for a trip after having joined the Army and left for several years. Turns out, the tow trucks there were authorized to run amber and blue lights.

Not sure when the laws started to change but I think it was in response to people not moving over for tow trucks (which is pretty dangerous for the truck operator).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

DJL

In Fairfax County there are tow trucks with blue lights that they bring in for police related vehicle issues.

Hmm... maybe that's what I saw. I've lived here several times over the past 20 years, and only started seeing that recently. Thanks for the info!

Shut Up & Jump!

A guy got a $232 fine for lighting his car up for Christmas in South Carolina. Fortunately somebody set up a gofundme to cover it.

http://m.wbrc.com/story/37112915/police-fine-man-232-for-his-christmas-lights-covered-car
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

kallend

I wish they would automatically dim at night, regardless of color. Dazzling oncoming drivers is not enhancing safety.

I noticed this the other night. A cop car on the side of the road with blue flashing lights that were so blindingly bright. Maybe a downside to new LED technology.

Rick

I wish they would automatically dim at night, regardless of color. Dazzling oncoming drivers is not enhancing safety.

I noticed this the other night. A cop car on the side of the road with blue flashing lights that were so blindingly bright. Maybe a downside to new LED technology.

Or it could be the old eyes. Lot of old people don't like driving at night because of lights.:P
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

BartsDaddy

Or it could be the old eyes. Lot of old people don't like driving at night because of lights.:P

You may have a point there :)