Bob_Church

speaking of campus groups

I have to admit that there were the occasional annoying things in my job at Seigfred Hall, Ohio University's School of Art. Not many but a few. One of them was the summer workshops. These would be groups of a couple of dozen who would spend a week trying to show that they already knew everything about the subject matter and try to hump each other. The worst was the young urban professionals (urban as in from the city, not their race) out of the office, away from the significant other, and in a genuine liberal arts university. But only for a week or two, poor bastards. One summer I had a really nice, seriously expensive, loupe. Well, I assume it's really expensive, a Japanese grad student left it in his locker when he graduated and went home. We got that a lot and I would even divvy up the bounty with my student workers. But I wanted that loupe. It looked so professional. I didn't have any use for it but I wore it on a cord around my neck whenever visitors were around. Oh, and each workshop would include a final saying goodbye dinner out at whatever happened to be the most expensive restaurant in Athens that summer. It was covered by the workshop and I was always invited so I'd eat well. So these workshops were varied. We'd have the young urban professionals, we'd have ones for international visitors, ones for teenagers and a couple for inner city kids. But one summer we had a genuine "little old ladies" workshop. I'm talking a dozen genuine blue-haired, walker using comfortable shoes little old ladies. They even chose Bob Evans for the blowout dinner because they had low cholesterol dishes.
And one of THEM stole my loupe!!! I didn't know whether to be pissed off or proud of them. A little of both I guess.