kallend

Amazon FAIL

ryoder

The GPS no doubt is very accurate at determining where it is within a few feet. The error is in the database or algorithm it uses to figure where your house is.

A really infuriating experience a few years ago was when I was using my Jeeps GPS (made by Alpine and using Navteq map) to get to Union Station in Denver. Or more specifically, the temporary station they were using while Union Station was being remodeled.

While following the turn-by-turn instructions, I arrived at the same intersection I had just left a few minutes earlier. The goddamned thing was taking me in a loop! So I pulled out my iPhone and pulled up Apple Maps. It took me directly to the station. Now bear in mind this was around the same time that Apple was being bashed over the errors in Apple Maps.

A few months later, I had a similar issue finding the recycling center in Boulder. Stupid GPS took me to an empty road about a 1/2 mile North of town and announced that I had reached my destination. I pulled out the iPhone again and it took me directly to the center which was about 3/4 mile South and off on a side street.

Yeah, I have had similar experiences with my Ford Flex's GPS. It's got my house where its supposed to be, but some locations are fubared. I pretty much use my phone's google map app to get me where I need to go without a problem.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Amazon did it again.

Yesterday they managed to deliver a package correctly.

Today they claimed another package as "Delivered, left on back porch".

My wife and I were home all day and no-one came to the house. We do not have a back porch. I searched all around in the snow (at 5 degrees F) - nothing. Went to the neighbors' houses - nothing.

The house is on a major street in Chicago, with the house number on a large bronze plate clearly visible from the sidewalk.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Three more correctly addressed packages ended up at the wrong place yesterday. One was the replacement for a previously lost package. Fortunately the neighbor to whose house it had been delivered was able to get it to me.

And, Bob, no plane or train crashes occurred around here yesterday.

Edited to add: The US Post Office, UPS and FedEx all manage to deliver stuff to my house (which is a regularly numbered house on a Chicago street). It's only Amazon that consistently sends it to the wrong place.

I'm betting it's poorly trained holiday temps. It would be interesting to be able to see if Amazon saves money by not providing enough training or end up losing it in lost packages and lost goodwill.

I live in a dead end teeny street in an out of the way village in France... I have seen and now expect every kind of delivery fuck up imaginable (and some I could never have fathomed)... I once had an entire sound system held in a warehouse about 25 miles from where I live because the delivery service who had been sub-contracted to do the job flat out refused to deliver without me paying them extra... I had ALREADY paid extra for the delivery and when I contacted customer service they claimed I had already signed for it... Took 6 weeks and a "friendly visit" from a neighbour before I got my stuff... :S

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss