Bob_Church

Le Carre' is back

Le Carre’ last few books have been take it or leave it with the possible exception of The Pigeon Tunnel, his autobiography. It all leaves me yearning for the good old days of Smiley and Peter and the lot. Well, they’re back, all of them. 'A Legacy of Spies' is right up there with 'The Spy Who Came in From the Cold' and in fact is intertwined with it.
What happens when the "Whatever it takes" days of the Cold War meet the litigious 21st Century where lawyers are scarier than Stasi agents?
Check it out, it’s great stuff especially for these bitter cold nights.

I'll have to do that. For Xmas, my wife gave me the DVD set of Smiley's People, the 1983 version with Alec Guinness. He also made a killer version of Tinker Tailor back then. Both also have Patrick Stewart, from his pre Jean Luc days.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

They also did a first rate version of "A Perfect Spy." If you get half a chance see it. There's no Smiley but it's very good anyway. And yet, that version of TTSS is much better than that recent movie. My first thought was that Guiness was way to thin to play Smiley. Notice how he leaves his coat hanging open in scenes shooting him from his side. But after just a few scenes you know you're looking at George Smiley.