nipp1e_boy

Wind Tunnels in ND

What's up assh*les? Been trying to get jumping more again since getting recurrent. Its been rough between working the Bakken and trying to get time away from the ole ball and chain.

Anyhoo, wangled an invite to a big-way "invitational" through bringing my log book "up to date" and some smooth talking on the phone. So should be on my way for some long due RnR around Feb 22. Will be my first 100-way so should be fun.

Need to get my knees in the breeze before then so anyoen know the closest wind tunnel from Minot, ND? Havent been in one before but hearing it can help get the skills up. I don't want to show up and be the weak link in the chain.

Also, need to lose like 50 pounds by then so I don't come screaming in like a bat outta hell on landing. Going to do the beach body diet tomorrow so I should be fine but any tips from former anvils appreciated.

Anyone else going?

Nipple Boy
A-19820
"Safety First! Fun Forever!"

Lets tackle the weight issue first. The correct solution is to tell the rest of the 100 way that you are happy with your body just the way you are and they need to deal with you with your current weight. I don't care if that means they all need to put on another 10-15 pounds of lead or just eat a few pizza's each - fuck them its not your problem that they fall so slow. And on that topic they need to be able to take a harder dock - if you jumped once in the last half dozen years you should be fine since it will all come back once you step out the door. If they can't take the hard dock they need cut and replaced by someone else that can.

Hey, I know its been a while since you jumped so while the logbook was being updated did make sure the repack is showing as current also? I know this one is often overlooked but most manifests seem to catch people on this so at least make sure the signature looks close to the others on the repack card and that its correctly dated. Bic pens are most often used but sometimes the ultra fine sharpies - get the pen choice correct and practice a few times before signing the data card. Don't ever date it for the future - thats a sure fire way to not jump that event.

As for the tunnel thing, just call up one of them and get the 2 minute package. That's twice the length of a normal skydive so if you do that then make sure you count it as 2 or 3 jumps in the logbook since you are learning a lot more in the same amount of time. Just make sure to mark it as like an 18k jump or so to account for the longer freefall time or else it raises flags when someone looks at the log book - been busted on that one a few times myself so take that as a free lesson learned.

Welcome back and Good luck on the 100 way!
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Is that the ND winter state record? Man, that's an awesome opportunity!

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Also, need to lose like 50 pounds by then so I don't come screaming in like a bat outta hell on landing. Going to do the beach body diet tomorrow so I should be fine but any tips from former anvils appreciated.

So you plan on losing 50 lbs in less than a month?
I saw that tried a couple of times.
They both wound up in the hospital with multiple and varying types of hypos.

You may want to re-think this part of your game plan.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

The only tried and true method of losing weight is less calories in than calories going out. 50 lbs in a month is extreme. As soon as you’re body discovers the intake has been cut off, your metabolism will slow way down. Find a big old jump suit from the eighties, that’s what I did, it slowed my fat ass right down.

Dude, the entire state is a wind tunnel.

But horizontal, not vertical.

You could harness that and create the first 'environmentally friendly' tunnel ever.

Just put a big funnel on it's side and direct the wind into a vertical tube.
Once that plains wind starts up (and it's pretty constant this time of year), you can get a good amount of airflow.

No cost for electricity, super cheap land, lots of unemployed oil workers to build it for you.

Only downside is lack of customers. There really isn't anyone in ND.

Gonna guess that the current formation record isn't all that big. I know the women's record is (or at least recently was)...

Four.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

jclalor

The only tried and true method of losing weight is less calories in than calories going out. 50 lbs in a month is extreme. As soon as you’re body discovers the intake has been cut off, your metabolism will slow way down. Find a big old jump suit from the eighties, that’s what I did, it slowed my fat ass right down.

There is really a much better way to slow down in an RW Suit with tight booties using the Mantis position than the baggy suits of old and "hugging the ball."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

wmw999

Is that the ND winter state record? Man, that's an awesome opportunity!

Wendy P.

California. Perris Valley. Been there a few years ago but first time being invited. Have a different license this time (thanks Canucks!). Hoping to put the politics behind me.

Nipple Boy
A-19820

PhreeZone

Lets tackle the weight issue first. The correct solution is to tell the rest of the 100 way that you are happy with your body just the way you are and they need to deal with you with your current weight. I don't care if that means they all need to put on another 10-15 pounds of lead or just eat a few pizza's each - fuck them its not your problem that they fall so slow. And on that topic they need to be able to take a harder dock - if you jumped once in the last half dozen years you should be fine since it will all come back once you step out the door. If they can't take the hard dock they need cut and replaced by someone else that can.

Hey, I know its been a while since you jumped so while the logbook was being updated did make sure the repack is showing as current also? I know this one is often overlooked but most manifests seem to catch people on this so at least make sure the signature looks close to the others on the repack card and that its correctly dated. Bic pens are most often used but sometimes the ultra fine sharpies - get the pen choice correct and practice a few times before signing the data card. Don't ever date it for the future - thats a sure fire way to not jump that event.

As for the tunnel thing, just call up one of them and get the 2 minute package. That's twice the length of a normal skydive so if you do that then make sure you count it as 2 or 3 jumps in the logbook since you are learning a lot more in the same amount of time. Just make sure to mark it as like an 18k jump or so to account for the longer freefall time or else it raises flags when someone looks at the log book - been busted on that one a few times myself so take that as a free lesson learned.

Welcome back and Good luck on the 100 way!

Thanks for the advice. Not sure where you learned to skydive but I would never pencil pack my reserve. I am very safety consious - I just get a rigger who has a pencil to do it for me.

Nipple Boy
A-19820

jclalor

Thanks for the advice jclalor and BIGUN, I know 50 lbs is a bit much but I have the fallrate dialed in more or less with my old balloon suit. Its my canopy wingload I need to get under 2.0 theres some rule for the bigway. May just have to tell manifest I have a 230 in my container.

Tried the 'zone but ate all the bars by the second day. Tried a "cleanse" thanks to my wife - that cayenne burns worse on the way out than it does going in. I'm hopeful this one does the trick.

Nipple Boy
A-19820

wolfriverjoe

Dude, the entire state is a wind tunnel.

But horizontal, not vertical.

You could harness that and create the first 'environmentally friendly' tunnel ever.

Just put a big funnel on it's side and direct the wind into a vertical tube.
Once that plains wind starts up (and it's pretty constant this time of year), you can get a good amount of airflow.

No cost for electricity, super cheap land, lots of unemployed oil workers to build it for you.

Only downside is lack of customers. There really isn't anyone in ND.

Gonna guess that the current formation record isn't all that big. I know the women's record is (or at least recently was)...

Four.

Very funny - bigway in California not ND. Just dont want to fly in the tunnel at the dropzone for a number of reasons.

Nipple Boy
A-19820

So... is this for real, and not one of your trolling posts like you've been infamous for, going all the way back to the rec.skydiving days?

:D:D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Nearest tunnel to Minot is likely Denver or Chicago. I'm in Winnipeg and I know there is a ton of money in the Bakken. Maybe you could round up some investors and build one in Fargo. Your market would include where you are, a good chunk of western Canada, and even the Twin Cities because they don't have one near them.

Let me know when you've got it up and ready for testing.