jclalor

Autism Respite

I have a relative who raises autism support dogs, she charges $17,000 a dog. Every summer she host autisistic children and their families for a weekend of camping on her ranch. She claims this is a much needed “respite” for the care giver. I’m under the impression that real respite care is when the caregiver makes arrangements for someone to fill in for the roll of caregiver temporarily. She usually has 6-7 families that attend. My relative claims on her web site that this cost about $20,000 and requires about 1,500 volunteer hours.

Does this sound legit?

Waaaaay overpriced, IMO She may be providing a much needed service, but people who serve the disabled, should be in it not to get rich off of these families...

And she says 1,500 VOLUNTEER hours????? So they're NOT getting paid????

If I were these families, I'd go find a different camp. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Waaaaay overpriced, IMO She may be providing a much needed service, but people who serve the disabled, should be in it not to get rich off of these families...

And she says 1,500 VOLUNTEER hours????? So they're NOT getting paid????

If I were these families, I'd go find a different camp. :|

Actually, it’s over 2,000 volunteer hours. I don’t begrudge the volunteers, only my cousin. She has a beautiful horse ranch, is the head of her 501. I’m really curious about how much she is paid and how much her ranch is paid. She is an Olympic caliber equestrian and I have a feeling that this charity funds her riding. I would love to look at her tax returns.

And I really paid no attention to her until a couple of years ago at a family X-mas party. I had a niece who was showing off her one month old baby to a couple of people, about this time my cousin comes through the door holding two puppies over head. She’s use to always being the center of attention with her dogs, and I could see in her eyes she was annoyed that no one payed attention as she walked in. She looks around and sees the people kind of fawning over the baby. She litterly walked between my niece and the fawners, and with out even acknowledging the baby, she says “Babies? Who wants to look at babies? I’ve got puppies everyone!” It was one of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen, and I’ve hated her ever since.

My wife and I have long raised and trained dogs for the handicapped. The organization we train for functions through donations but the recipients of the dogs are not charged. Real costs to the initial dog raiser are allowed as a tax write-off but not time.

pterodactyl1986

A simple google search would alleviate your "concerns"

http://autismservicedogsofamerica.com/for-families/costs/

My girlfriend's grandmother raises dogs like this, it's expensive, time consuming and a hassle.

I have no issues with the dogs she trains or the cost. I have issues when she claims a 48 hour sleep over for six or seven families is $20,000. my issue is also she has a huge horse ranch with a huge house with 10 of her own horses and it’s all Payed for by well intentioned donors.

As the full time care giver of an adult Autistic son I can tell you this is taking advantage of the system. We see it regularly. People donate to these places which make millions of dollars and pay huge salaries while providing limited openings for their services....

Maybe she is an outstanding provider maybe she is funding her horse farm on the disabilities of Autistic people..

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421