keithbar

Super bowl

gowlerk

Watched/listened to about the last third while drinking wine and doing some (non-rigging) sewing. I thought it was a great game except for the no show defense. But the Eagles did show up just in time to crush the forces of Evil!

Glad to know that you don't do rigging whilst drinking.:)
So what were you sewing? Inquiring minds want to know...
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I haven't watched a full game of football, since I was in high school. The Super Bowl is usually a great time to go for a drive on empty streets or shopping in empty stores.

(My sport is soccer and team is USMNT, and San Jose Earthquakes)

This time the plan was for my daughter and me, to meet my son for dinner at a normally busy restaurant. When he called, to ask that we delay an hour - he was watching but I guess expected a blow-out - I checked the internet to see the score. It was 33-32.

I watched from that point. Saw the last touchdown, and the sack of Brady.

What I saw I have to admit was a good game.

As someone that hasn't seen the game in a while, I need to say that I think it has changed for the worst. First I don't like teams playing on artificial turf, if you don't get dirty playing the game your not trying hard enough. And second what is it with the catch rule on the last touchdown?

I'm still as soccer fan first, but unfortunately will need to wait 5 years before seeing the World Cup, since I'm not watching a World Cup without the US.

Fully understood.
Seems Sunday is the day to deal with drunken skydivers, just like Saturday and Friday.
And weather holds.
And.....

I'm pretty big on family too, as is my wife, but I damn sure enjoy some beer.

I think the mold is a rather large range of personalities in skydiving.
B|

forces of Evil

Hey -- you're talking about my beloved Patriots there :P

Well, I watched the last 2 minutes. Which is the average of how much Super Bowl I've watched each year -- in the years I was at a Super Bowl party. The other years, I haven't watched any as a rule.

But we live in Massachusetts. They have to be our beloved Patriots :D

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

AlanS

... And second what is it with the catch rule on the last touchdown?

Well, this has been the season of "was that a catch or not".

The rules for a catch are something like 3 pages long. And confusing as all hell. Possession, making a 'football move' and 'becoming a runner' are just part of it. 'Going to the ground' and 'two steps' are another (ask Dez Bryant about that distinction).

There have been a lot of situations where what appeared to be a catch, quoting the rules (by the commentators) was overturned.

This has been going on for a couple years, but it got really bad this year. I think Chris Collingsworth made a comment to the effect of "It looks like it was a catch, but with the way they've been calling them this year, it will probably be overturned". And then it was upheld. Which kind of sums up how it's been.

I listened to "Golic & Wingo" (used to be "Mike & Mike" on ESPN radio) this morning, they were generally in agreement with what was called.
They had Drew Brees (QB for the Saints) on this morning and he made the suggestion that they have a panel of 6 year olds in the New York office (where the final calls on this sort of thing are made) and for calls of this nature, simply ask the 6 year olds "was that a catch" and go with what they say.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Collingsworthless' comment "I can't wait for them to overturn this" was wrong IMO. I can't stand to hear his voice though, so I might be biased. :D

You've really nailed this issue with the passing game this season for sure...then add in the pass interference call/not call confusion...NFL is getting as wacky as NCAA Playoffs.
Except the public pays for those glorious privately owned stadiums via tax programs.

AtrusBatleth

Don't give a damn but didn't have to put up with any drunks.

Likewise;
And I don't support sports that involve men giving each other degenerative brain injuries.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

normiss

Collingsworthless' comment "I can't wait for them to overturn this" was wrong IMO. I can't stand to hear his voice though, so I might be biased. :D

You've really nailed this issue with the passing game this season for sure...then add in the pass interference call/not call confusion...NFL is getting as wacky as NCAA Playoffs.
Except the public pays for those glorious privately owned stadiums via tax programs.

Get rid of replay "reviews" completely and go with the officials' real-time calls, good or bad. This will keep the game moving along, knowing that fans will bitch and argue about "iffy" calls ...like baseball. If it's determined that an official screws up too often (maybe by periodic, after-the-fact video review/assessment by the NFL), then maybe this is the wrong job for him or he needs more training. Quality of refs will eventually rise and the game will flow more smoothly. There will always be bad calls, but that's part of the game.

While i was cheering for the Patriots to win; I wasn't unhappy with the Eagles winning.

Course, I watch like 2 to 4 games a year and the SuperBowl, so its not like i'm a Philadelphia Phil for any team. :D

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

muff528

Get rid of replay "reviews" completely and go with the officials' real-time calls, good or bad. This will keep the game moving along, knowing that fans will bitch and argue about "iffy" calls ...like baseball.

You are not going to get many takers on that. Too many people want to have the win / lose of the game reflect as best as possible what happened on the field, not what the refs were able to see at the time.

Baseball has reviews too now btw.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I was busy driving a Penske rental truck from Buda, TX to my home, which took me 15 hours... from 4:50 AM to 7:50 PM. So I wasn't even thinking about it until my MMS group started talking about it by the time I reached Tuscaloosa. Watched the last half of the 4th quarter after I got settled in at home.

Brady fucked himself trying to throw with the pocket collapsing on him and getting the ball knocked out of his hand for a fumble.

If not for that, I think the Patriots could have won, but I'm glad they didn't.

It was the year of the back-up QB winning championships - Tua Tagovailoa for Alabama, and Nick Foles for Philadelphia.

And funny thing, Saban, being a former Belichick asst coach back in the day, since he took over at Alabama, has won 5 national titles, but Belichick has never won in the same year as Nick.

And this super bowl marked the 10th straight year a former Bama player was in it. Fifth in a row the winner had a Bama player on it. B|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban