ryoder

SpaceX Falcon Heavy Animation

That's funny, the sequence made me think of THIS.

I know perfectly well there's no way anything but a Tesla was going to come out of that nosecone, but I was still disappointed not to see a 57 Vette.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Very, very, cool.

I understand why, but it's a little weird to see the complete monetization of "the experience." Launch tickets are $195.
At least hoi polloi can still go watch from the causeway, I assume.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>A successful launch and recovering 2 out of the 3 boosters is pretty impressive. I'd
>call this a win for SpaceX.

Yep. At one point SpaceX was so worried that they were saying that they just hoped it cleared the tower before it blew up, so it didn't do any damage to the launch pad. So I'd say it exceeded expectations.

billvon

>A successful launch and recovering 2 out of the 3 boosters is pretty impressive. I'd
>call this a win for SpaceX.

Yep. At one point SpaceX was so worried that they were saying that they just hoped it cleared the tower before it blew up, so it didn't do any damage to the launch pad. So I'd say it exceeded expectations.

I think they've had 19 landing successes in a row for the Falcon 9 rocket before the center stage missed the barge.

Saw an interesting site explaining the difference between the center booster and the outer boosters. Will link it here if I find it later.

billvon

The Verge is reporting that the core stage missed the barge.

Two out of three of the rocket's engines failed to reignite during descent and it smashed into the sea, damaging two thrusters on the barge it was supposed to land on and showering the platform with shrapnel. SpaceX staff spoke of losing "the central core" as a live video feed from the barge cut out just seconds before the rocket was due to set down.

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/06/spacex_falcon_heavy_launch/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Phil1111

No the simultaneous landing did not look real. I'd have thought there would be at least a 15-30 second delay between the two landings.

Uninterrupted Footage of the Falcon Heavy Launch and Booster Landing! 2-6-18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=59pY74ZhQ50

That was impressive camera work!:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Phil1111

No the simultaneous landing did not look real. I'd have thought there would be at least a 15-30 second delay between the two landings.

Uninterrupted Footage of the Falcon Heavy Launch and Booster Landing! 2-6-18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=59pY74ZhQ50

There is a short delay between the landings. They set it up that way. Very impressive work.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

mrubin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKAHN6M&feature=youtu.be

Live feed from Starman (the dummy in the Tesla).

I can't believe nobody mentioned the sign on the dash.

The letters are fairly large, but I'm not sure I'd call them 'friendly'.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Flat Earthers are now claiming it's a hoax.

=============
Justin Harvey was driving through Orlando on Tuesday when he saw a rocket ship in the sky, leaving a trail of billowing white smoke on its way high above the heavens.

He didn’t bother to check the news afterward because he figured the Falcon Heavy rocket, launched by SpaceX and now considered the world’s most powerful operational spaceship, probably wound up in the Atlantic Ocean.

“When I saw it, I was ready to laugh,” he said. “Space travel is pretty much a hoax.”

The 30-year-old University of Central Florida alumnus is a Flat Earth conspiracy theorist, or a Flat Earther, and he doesn’t believe that NASA has ever been into space, or that its archive of photographic evidence showing the Earth’s spherical shape is anything but Photoshopped propaganda.

As for the red Tesla Roadster convertible — owned by billionaire Tesla and SpaceX founder Elon Musk — that was released into orbit by Falcon Heavy, Harvey believes it was either parked in a film studio or stitched together using computer-generated imagery.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article198949319.html#storylink=cpy

===============
Some choice tweets:

Well folks, we have cars floating in space propelled there by giant rockets, but your local train can't run on time and your domestic flights get cancelled. Believe that if you wish, but if you do, do it in the knowledge they are openly mocking you.

People who believe that the Earth is a globe because "they saw a car in space on the Internet" must be the new incarnation of "It's true, I saw it on TV!" It's a poor argument.

Why would we believe any privately-held company to report the truth?