akarunway

engineering questions

wolfriverjoe

******I remember the 1970’s metric plan; it was a really half-hearted attempt. It has to be a pain being a mechanic with two sets of tools.

Anyone remember the Dodge Omni, (aka Plymouth Horizon) cars?
They were US made, but initially came with a 1.7L engine bought from VW (same engine as VW Rabbit).
The car had SAE fasteners, but the engine had metric fasteners.
So you needed two sets of tools for the same car.>:(

That's not all that unusual.

Many US cars are a mix of metric and SAE fasteners.

I have sockets, combo wrenches and Allen wrenches in both.

I currently have German cars and a Japanese motorcycle.

So the only thing the SAE stuff gets used on is my bicycle, snow blower and rototiller.
Or helping out someone.

So for now, anything new is metric.

It's all just one set of tools. A comprehensive set has stuff in there for all kinds of different applications a given tech might use. He'd customize his set for his needs.

Also, I have Metric, BSF, BSW, and US standard sockets and wrenches. But ALL of the sockets have US standard drive sizes. Go figure.

DanG

NASA specs and drawings are in centimeters, but the English unit dominance still runs through everything.

The mechanical designs where I work are the same way. All fasteners used are metric, and dimensions on drawings have both US and metric values, but the distances are fractions of inches (like 50" wide).

One problem we have with making international friendly designs is that sheet steel in the US is still cheaper and easier to get in US thicknesses (20 ga, 16 ga, 0.25" etc). This makes importing designs done in the EU a PITA, because sheet steel parts must be re-worked for the small difference in thickness between equivalent metric and US sheet thickness.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

RMK

***I believe Belize is now the only country that uses imperial measurements besides the US.

Wendy P.

It’s Angola & Myanmar (just three nations). The US is in good company in the non-metric club of nations.

Well the UK is not completely metric. MPH for speed limits, and I got a laugh out of the bathroom scale in my London Air-Bnb with dual measurements in kg or stone, and people still talk about HP rather than PS or kW.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

We're legally/technically metric, but yes use mph. A few other countries also are metric, but in practice have a few leftovers.

I always berate people when they use "stone" for body weight. This is truly the most antiquated half-assed and medieval of all measurement - you are effectively saying "I am as heavy as this many big rocks".
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

We're legally/technically metric, but yes use mph. A few other countries also are metric, but in practice have a few leftovers.

I always berate people when they use "stone" for body weight. This is truly the most antiquated half-assed and medieval of all measurement - you are effectively saying "I am as heavy as this many big rocks".

Meh. Every form of measurment is to some degree arbitrary.

Big rocks, King's arm (or other body appendage), water, the earth's diameter, whatever.

It's as much what you are used to and were taught as a kid as what "makes sense".

I agree that the metric system is simpler and the way it overlaps is cool (1g = 1cc H2O = 1 ml). But I still think in SAE. Even in Canada, I have to convert kms to miles in my head.

And yeah, I think it's funny that all of my metric sockets go onto a 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" drive (I don't have any 3/4" stuff).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

RMK

A few other countries also are metric, but in practice have a few leftovers.

Driving in Belgium occasionally I saw signs "XXX in 1600m" and I smiled to myself "the mile still hangs on".

And a few years ago on the same weekend, in the US I ran a 10km race, while my Belgian friend ran the popular Antwerp 10 mile race.

SethInMI

***A few other countries also are metric, but in practice have a few leftovers.

Driving in Belgium occasionally I saw signs "XXX in 1600m" and I smiled to myself "the mile still hangs on".

And a few years ago on the same weekend, in the US I ran a 10km race, while my Belgian friend ran the popular Antwerp 10 mile race.

Most of my jumps these days are from planes being flown by a non-jump pilot. My big worry is always AGL, not MSL!

RMK

I've progressed! Ask me my weight and I now reply in lbs.

What's a kilogram?

:D

yoink

***We're legally/technically metric, but yes use mph. A few other countries also are metric, but in practice have a few leftovers.

What's a kilogram?

$9,500 same as in town.

akarunway

Tell me about. I have a Chrysler LeBaron. 3.0 Mitubishi engine. Have 2 sets of tools. :S

Get a Metrinch set http://www.metrinch.tv/index.php/combination-sets/metrinch/62-piece-combination-wrench-and-socket-set.html

Friggin Harley Davidson - sourced from several different countries now, so instead of having my fork tool bag with a handful of SAE that could do a frame off restoration by the side of the road - now requires the super-extended warranty and tow package. :S

EDIT: And when they went to electronic ignition, throttles, fuel injection and ECM's - I was doomed.

Or. blessed to not have to work on them anymore. :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

yoink

***We're legally/technically metric, but yes use mph. A few other countries also are metric, but in practice have a few leftovers.

What's a kilogram? About 2.2 lbs of good coke. 20K?

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.