akarunway

engineering questions

I need help. Q1? What is the absolute pressure in a piping system when the vacuum gage reads 20" and the barometer reads 30.71" of mercury? I got 5.26 psia. Q2? Pump discharge side pressure is 28 psi. What vertical height can I get my water to in feet? I got 64.7' rounded off. Am I right? :S
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

RMK

I”ve got a query.

It’s 2017, why is “inches of mercury” still being used in America. Hectopascals dammit; get with the programme.

Because we won in 1783 and we can do what we want.😉 And to make our engineers learn two systems.🙄

And mercury from the manometer is fun to play with on the desk.☠
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

RMK

I”ve got a query.

It’s 2017, why is “inches of mercury” still being used in America. Hectopascals dammit; get with the programme.

Ain't gotta damn clue. I'm having to convert F to C and inches to decimal. Didn't know I had to be a rocket scientist to fit a piece of pipe. That's why I have engineers on the job. 3rd question. Steam (carbon) pipe is installed at 70'F. 200' foot between anchors. Heated to 286' F. What is the linear expansion in FEET?

RMK

I”ve got a query.

You think that's bad, try building stuff when measurements switch back and forth between 64ths, 32nds and quarter, half and whole inch fractions, PLUS the use of decimals of a fraction. It melts my brain. I have a conversions table printed out on the wall of my garage.

Iago

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/steel-pipes-temperature-expansion-d_38.html

About 3.5 inches.

One of the 4 answers IS 3 1/2 inches. I fail this test could cost me a couple 100k. What was the formula?

I believe Belize is now the only country that uses imperial measurements besides the US.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We were supposed to convert to metric in the 70s by act of Congress. Nobody really cared, so no money was spent to a switch over.

I'm still pissed off. In grade 5 (1969) they made us learn metric. Why? Because, they told us, the US is making the change and we need to keep up with our giant southern neighbour. Then the US people told their politicians they did not want to change. So there you are. You indeed are big enough to do whatever the hell you please.

wmw999

I believe Belize is now the only country that uses imperial measurements besides the US.

Wendy P.

So half of the countries in the world that use Imperial have put men on the moon, and how many of those that use Metric?

Another thing I've noticed over and over again is that if something is posted in metric and imperial nobody complains. If metric, no one complains, those of us who use imperial just do the conversion as we go. But if it's only imperial suddenly the violins start.

Iago

******FYI it is 2018 :)

That's metric.

We need a metric unit for time. I propose the unit of 1 'WHILE.'

It would be nice to have an actual measurements for 'be there in a while.'
I'll let you know when I get a "round tuit." Whenever that may be. :ph34r:
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

wmw999

Wendy P.

Last time I was in Canada, the pizza shops described the size using inches, and if you were shopping for a TV, its size was in inches. Even the Canadians love using the classic units.

What I think is really weird is that in Canada, fuel mileage isn't just switched from miles/gallon to km/L, it is inverted to be L/100km. Why did they decide to invert it?

As others have mentioned, if time isn't going to be in a base 10, then why make other units comply?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Hi Bob,

So half of the countries in the world that use Imperial have put men on the moon, and how many of those that use Metric?

Unless what I have been reading since the early 60's is incorrect, the US space program has always been done in metric.

It is the superior system.

Jerry Baumchen

wmw999

Wendy P.

It’s Angola & Myanmar (just three nations). The US is in good company in the non-metric club of nations.

I remember the 1970’s metric plan; it was a really half-hearted attempt. It has to be a pain being a mechanic with two sets of tools.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

NASA specs and drawings are in centimeters, but the English unit dominance still runs through everything. I worked on one of the components in the Orion system just a few years ago. All the drawings were metric, but there wasn't a round number to be found. Convert them tominches and round numbers were everywhere. In other words, things are still being designed in inches and them written down in the formal drawings in centimeters.

- Dan G

Shuttle computer software (designed and mostly written beginning in the mid-70's) was most definitely not metric.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

RMK

I remember the 1970’s metric plan; it was a really half-hearted attempt. It has to be a pain being a mechanic with two sets of tools.

Anyone remember the Dodge Omni, (aka Plymouth Horizon) cars?
They were US made, but initially came with a 1.7L engine bought from VW (same engine as VW Rabbit).
The car had SAE fasteners, but the engine had metric fasteners.
So you needed two sets of tools for the same car.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***I remember the 1970’s metric plan; it was a really half-hearted attempt. It has to be a pain being a mechanic with two sets of tools.

Anyone remember the Dodge Omni, (aka Plymouth Horizon) cars?
They were US made, but initially came with a 1.7L engine bought from VW (same engine as VW Rabbit).
The car had SAE fasteners, but the engine had metric fasteners.
So you needed two sets of tools for the same car.>:(

That's not all that unusual.

Many US cars are a mix of metric and SAE fasteners.

I have sockets, combo wrenches and Allen wrenches in both.

I currently have German cars and a Japanese motorcycle.

So the only thing the SAE stuff gets used on is my bicycle, snow blower and rototiller.
Or helping out someone.

So for now, anything new is metric.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo