ryoder

"Black Mirror" - season 4

Iago

*********I binge watched all the episodes of season 4 in one day.

:o
Black Mirror only comes out once a year, and it is meant to sipped like fine wine, not guzzled like cheap beer![:/]

:D:D To each his own :P I have re-watched several episodes from past seasons and am likely to do that with some of these as well. But I did think there were a lot of revisited themes...

Yes there are. 'Technology run amok' is the prevailing theme. I loved the one where everyone is obsessed with their 'social rating.'. The ending was great where they end up in jail swearing at each other and laughing just because they can.

I just watched Arkangel and it reminded me of a show that you and ryoder really should watch. The only thing is, it came out in 1963. It's an episode of the original Outer Limits titled O.B.I.T. and no it doesn't mean obituary, it's Outer Band Individual Teletracer. Concentrate on that "Individual Teletracer" part. When this came out it would have been just another sci-fi what will they think of next show. But watching it now will blow you away. Aside from the outdated sets you'd think it was written very recently. Seriously, check it out.

For those who don't know, Black Mirror started out back in 2011 as a UK Channel 4 series written by the astonishingly talented critic/ broadcaster/ humourist Charlie Brooker. Brooker is still the writer for the most part.

I loved the first two series, but since the Netflix acquisition I've found it a bit patchy. Whether that's because Brooker has lost some creative control, or all the best ideas have been used, or I've just got a bit weary of the format, is hard to say. There are still some great episodes in the later series.

It's also worth noting that most episodes are pretty dark - which is part of Black Mirror's appeal, but if you're already concerned about technology and its effect on society this show isn't going to make you feel any better. ;)

It speaks to society also, as a result of the isolation, impersonalization, and anonymity of social media. e.g. How far will a troll go just for laughs, how quickly mob mentality takes over, how quickly joining that mob can turn on you, the ease in which people dehumanize others, etc etc etc.

It resonates a LOT with what we see today.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Calvin19

If you liked this, recommended is "Infinity Chamber", 2017. DAMN good.

OK, 30 minutes into the show, it looks like we have "The Prisoner"(1967) meets "Groundhog Day"(1993).:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

In interpreting the film, here is something weird;
Maybe it means something, or maybe it was just saving money by using the same actor in multiple roles:

Jesse D. Arrow ... Howard / Patron

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3839880/fullcredits
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.