ryoder

"Black Mirror" - season 4

6 new episodes were just released on Netflix streaming.

Episode 1 "USS Callister" contains, (as part of the plot), the best parody ever of the original "Star Trek" series.
:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Calvin19

***6 new episodes were just released on Netflix streaming.

Episode 1 "USS Callister" contains, (as part of the plot), the best parody ever of the original "Star Trek" series.

YES!!!! :)
"Yes" you saw it, or "Yes" you want to see it?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

******6 new episodes were just released on Netflix streaming.

YES!!!! :)
"Yes" you saw it, or "Yes" you want to see it?

YES!!! as in I am excited more episodes were released. You have informed me. Will report when I see them.

The series reminded me of the low-budget horror compilation 'Southbound' in a way. Recommended film if the dark twilight-zone format pleases you.

There are also a couple Easter eggs in it, (one visual and one audio), both of which I missed.
For the visual one, watch the office scenes closely to see who is playing the other office workers.
For the audio, identify the unseen voice at the very end.

Best line: "Stealing my ***** is a red ****ing line!":D:D:D

I might just watch that episode again.

Episode 2 "Arkangel" (directed by Jodie Foster) is a story of helicopter-parenting going to a whole new level.:o

I binge watched all the episodes of season 4 in one day. I was a smidge disappointed, if I'm honest... Wasn't as fresh as the previous seasons imo - felt like a lot of recycled ideas/themes...

That said, I absolutely *loved* Hang The DJ.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

I binge watched all the episodes of season 4 in one day.

:o
Black Mirror only comes out once a year, and it is meant to sipped like fine wine, not guzzled like cheap beer![:/]

ryoder

***I binge watched all the episodes of season 4 in one day.

:o
Black Mirror only comes out once a year, and it is meant to sipped like fine wine, not guzzled like cheap beer![:/]

:D:D To each his own :P I have re-watched several episodes from past seasons and am likely to do that with some of these as well. But I did think there were a lot of revisited themes...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

ryoder

6 new episodes were just released on Netflix streaming.

I haven't watched any of this yet. Can I watch these episodes now then go back or should I start at the beginning?

Bob_Church

***6 new episodes were just released on Netflix streaming.

I haven't watched any of this yet. Can I watch these episodes now then go back or should I start at the beginning?

Every episode is a standalone story, unrelated to any other episode, so order does not matter.

They are standalone but they have some links between them as Easter Eggs - Crocodile for instance has references to Wraith Babes - that is from the Episode Fifteen Million Merits a season prior.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

ryoder

******6 new episodes were just released on Netflix streaming.

Every episode is a standalone story, unrelated to any other episode, so order does not matter.

Thanks, I'm going to give them a shot. I want to watch that first one of season 4 then probably go back to the beginning. I have so much stuff available that it can be hard to get to any of it. Who'd have ever thought we'd have so much on hand at the click of a button?

Nataly

That said, I absolutely *loved* Hang The DJ.

I'm not a big fan of supervised dating services, but if it will line me up with Georgina Campbell, then I'm all in!:)

PhreeZone

They are standalone but they have some links between them as Easter Eggs - Crocodile for instance has references to Wraith Babes - that is from the Episode Fifteen Million Merits a season prior.

Looks like I've missed a lot of Easter eggs: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand/0/black-mirror-shared-universe-guide-easter-eggs-clues/
(No spoilers in the article)

Bob_Church

Thanks, I'm going to give them a shot. I want to watch that first one of season 4 then probably go back to the beginning. I have so much stuff available that it can be hard to get to any of it. Who'd have ever thought we'd have so much on hand at the click of a button?

Some noteworthy episodes for the Black Mirror newcomer:

- "The Waldo Moment" - A foul-mouthed cartoonish character becomes a populist candidate for office. Sound familiar? The episode aired in 2013.

- "National Anthem" - The British PM is being blackmailed to perform an obscene act for the release of a kidnapped British royal. And four years later, this happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggate

- "San Junipero" - I've seen the highest critical acclaim on this episode.

ETA One more: "Shut Up and Dance" - The scary part of this is that unlike all the other episodes which are set in the future, the technology exists for this to happen today.

I'm not done with Season 4 yet but so far I could not get into Crocodile and fell asleep 1/2 way through, thought Jodi Foster did a great job of directing ArcAngel but the episode was not the best and rather liked Hang the DJ even if it had covered material similar to what had been covered in the past.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I found the visuals in Crocodile to be fascinating.
Some googling turned up that it was filmed in Iceland, which would have been my first guess.

ryoder

There are also a couple Easter eggs in it, (one visual and one audio), both of which I missed.
For the visual one, watch the office scenes closely to see who is playing the other office workers.
For the audio, identify the unseen voice at the very end.

Best line: "Stealing my ***** is a red ****ing line!":D:D:D

I might just watch that episode again.

That was great, thanks for the recommendation. The only easter egg I caught was the Kirk/Uhura kiss at 35 minutes.

There were a few - the engine he jumps in looks a LOT like the one Luke jumps in to in The Empire Strikes Back and when she wakes up that's a lot like the lights used in one of the Rogue One trailers. The voice at the end was Jesse from Breaking Bad.

There are some others but you need to have seen other episodes to get them - the secretary is using the data app that is used in Season 3's Playtest as well as Season 4's Hang the DJ, also the one female officer is from season 3's Nosedive episode (was a gate agent in that one)
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

PhreeZone

There were a few - the engine he jumps in looks a LOT like the one Luke jumps in to in The Empire Strikes Back and when she wakes up that's a lot like the lights used in one of the Rogue One trailers. The voice at the end was Jesse from Breaking Bad.

There are some others but you need to have seen other episodes to get them - the secretary is using the data app that is used in Season 3's Playtest as well as Season 4's Hang the DJ, also the one female officer is from season 3's Nosedive episode (was a gate agent in that one)

I'm going to go back and start at episode 1 now.

[email]

ryoder

More Easter eggs: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bjy7j8/every-easter-egg-in-season-four-of-black-mirror

The startup screen in the car in "Metalhead" is hilarious.:D

I don't see how they missed the Kirk/Uhura kiss. It wasn't just a kiss, but the way they held each other and all. Check it out at 35 minutes in.

Bob_Church

I don't see how they missed the Kirk/Uhura kiss. It wasn't just a kiss, but the way they held each other and all. Check it out at 35 minutes in.

Easter eggs are generally subtle links to other episodes of the same series.
The parody of Star Trek is way too obvious to qualify as an easter egg.

Another pair of Easter eggs in "USS Callister" link to two different series:
- Jesse Plemons was in Breaking Bad" with Aaron Paul (the voice at the end).
- Jesse Plemons was in "Fargo" with Kirsten Dunst (seen briefly in the office) and they are engaged in real life.

ryoder

Easter eggs are generally subtle links to other episodes of the same series.
The parody of Star Trek is way too obvious to qualify as an easter egg.

Another pair of Easter eggs in "USS Callister" link to two different series:
- Jesse Plemons was in Breaking Bad" with Aaron Paul (the voice at the end).
- Jesse Plemons was in "Fargo" with Kirsten Dunst (seen briefly in the office) and they are engaged in real life.

I guess this was more of a ref, or something. It definitely wasn't subtle. I'm glad you'd mentioned the parody part or I might not have made it past the first scene. As it was it was perfect. I remember many years ago when I thought I was turning on SNL. This was long before online guides or anything and I thought it had been replaced by a music show that night and I wasn't going to watch it. Fortunately I didn't get around to turning the channel right away and saw the introduction of The Blues Brothers. They'd almost done that parody too well.