ryoder

"Kitty Hawk" Cora autonomous flying taxi

Very Cool. This appears to be the first real effort to use the airfoil while in forward flight, something that I think is absolutely necessary for engine out situations. I'm curious if there's a practical business model. A helicopter for hire is the closest thing to a personal taxi and we all know that's simply not in the cards for daily use even for the most wealthy people on earth.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

But, how do you even log the time in it? SEL? RH? Multi? All of the above?

I think it's a cool idea, but I really just cannot see how they plan on integrating with the US NAS. Most of the general public has no idea about the rules and regulations involved and even if they're flying low altitudes, eventually the weather is going to crap out or the systems will glitch and the people inside are going to need to take control and save their bacon (also wouldn't surprise me if they put a BRS in it).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

ryoder

Something I've noticed whenever someone is trying to describe new aviation things as safe is that they talk about one. Things like "This self flying car is absolutely safe because ..." but they skip over the situation with hundreds or more at the same time on the same route. A guy on the radio was defending his flying his new drone over the city's parade as perfectly safe so he shouldn't have gotten a citation and fine for it, but they never mentioned what would happen when a couple of dozen others get one for Christmas and want to join in.