ryoder

RIP Stephen Hawking

AlanS

Damn, and he just did the latest Hitchhikers Guide to the Gallery

Well in early March he was saying he know what happened before the Big Bang.

https://mashable.com/2018/03/05/stephen-hawking-video-before-big-bang/#0ZuEb9IP3aqP

Maybe I'm just a dumb ordinary person, but WTF?

That was one big fat polysyllabic nullity.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

When he had a speech synthesizer programmed for him, his only complaint was that because it was made in California, it gave him an American accent.

:D

He lived a lot longer than anybody ever thought he would. And he did more in that time than most ever will.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Too soon? :)

Well, for once, Richards is actually a bit younger than the deceased.:P

BTW Thanks PhreeZone, for correcting the title!:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

In the late 1990’s, I had just landed from a London to Los Angeles flight. I am at the baggage carousel waiting for our bags and one comes by that looks like my wife’s and I check the tag and see the name “Stephen Hawking”. I think to myself “cool; like the physicist”. I go back to staring blankly at the carousel and his caretaker wheels him right next to me.

I would have loved to speak with him, but know how laborious that is with his synthesiser and of course we just got off a 12hour flight. I nod and smile to him, but didn’t try to strike up a conversation. I was standing there with him for about 10-15 minutes and it felt really odd that I was standing next to one of the smartest guys on the planet – and I can’t talk to him.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

oldwomanc6

Damn, and he just did the latest Hitchhikers Guide to the Gallery

Well in early March he was saying he know what happened before the Big Bang.

https://mashable.com/2018/03/05/stephen-hawking-video-before-big-bang/#0ZuEb9IP3aqP

Maybe I'm just a dumb ordinary person, but WTF?

That was one big fat polysyllabic nullity.

Well, he was smart enough to stick with subjects that people weren't going to show up with a video and prove him wrong.

kallend

I knew him in college when we were grad students.

I was lucky enough to attend a couple of lectures by him during the early 2000's. I found him absolutely incredible at teaching complex mathematical concepts to people like myself who struggled through some of his books. I had a very brief talk with him afterwards and found him incredibly polite and approachable. Even back then, when I told him that I had a degree in AI he was asking about if I'd considered the implications of that field for humanity.

Gave me a lot to think about.

The world is slightly poorer off today.

It's predictable that Brief History of Time would jump to the top of Amazon's best sellers list, but if you're looking for a book by him I'd suggest The Universe in a Nutshell. For me that was a much better read. It had pictures. :D His explanation of spin on particles still hurts my brain... How can something have to go through 720 degrees of rotation on the same axis before it looks the same again??

A few oddities and surreal dates that Stephen Hawking shared...

He died on Pi day - 3.14

Which is also Albert Einstein's birthday.

And, Hawking's birthdate, January 8, is the same day that Galileo died at age 77 in 1642.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

yoink

It's predictable that Brief History of Time would jump to the top of Amazon's best sellers list, but if you're looking for a book by him I'd suggest The Universe in a Nutshell.

They're essentially the same book, just organized differently. Brief History is intended to be read first page to last, like a novel. Nutshell requires reading the first 2-3 chapters, then the remaining chapters are each standalone, and can be read (or skipped) in whatever order desired.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

airdvr

Saw this one yesterday. Apologies in advance to anyone who takes offense.

I get the humor of wheelchair and stairs, but the pedantic part of me says:

1. As an atheist, he is going down not up.
2. As an spirit, he would leave his body behind and just be his "normal" self. People in heaven don't have wheelchairs.

so it is hard to be insulted about something that does not make any sense.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

SethInMI

***Saw this one yesterday. Apologies in advance to anyone who takes offense.

I get the humor of wheelchair and stairs, but the pedantic part of me says:

1. As an atheist, he is going down not up.
2. As an spirit, he would leave his body behind and just be his "normal" self. People in heaven don't have wheelchairs.

so it is hard to be insulted about something that does not make any sense.

Is this better?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

hawking.jpg

ryoder

Is this better?

Aww.

"It's full of stars!"

-----------------------------------------
as a fellow atheist, my answer to "what happens to you when you die?" is you live on in the memories of the living. By that measure, Steven will have an afterlife that will far exceed most others of our time.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".