Bob_Church

The last male northern white rhino has died

Bob_Church

He had to be euthanized. This leaves two females, both related, and in-vitro but it doesn't sound encouraging.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/20/worlds-last-male-northern-white-rhino-has-died/

Wow. I just saw the PBS Nature episode on this.

To be honest, he hadn't been 'up to the task' for some time, but it's still a loss.

Fucking poachers >:(

And the fucking idiots who think that "rhino horn" has magical properties >:(:S>:(
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

***He had to be euthanized. This leaves two females, both related, and in-vitro but it doesn't sound encouraging.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/20/worlds-last-male-northern-white-rhino-has-died/

Wow. I just saw the PBS Nature episode on this.

To be honest, he hadn't been 'up to the task' for some time, but it's still a loss.

Fucking poachers >:(

And the fucking idiots who think that "rhino horn" has magical properties >:(:S>:(

And yet there are people who think the poachers need protection too. It's war but some people can't accept that.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-38909512

Humans are trashing our home planet.

I was diving some 70 miles offshore from Dominican Republic in the Atlantic last month, and there is plastic garbage to be seem even there.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Out of sight, out of mind.

There are much bigger trash heaps where no one ever sees them.
===================================
Plastic Garbage Patch Bigger Than Mexico Found in Pacific

Yet another floating mass of microscopic plastic has been discovered in the ocean.

By Shaena Montanari
PUBLISHED JULY 25, 2017
Nat Geo

Water, water, everywhere—and most of it is filled with plastic.

A new discovery of a massive amount of plastic floating in the South Pacific is yet another piece of bad news in the fight against ocean plastic pollution. This patch was recently discovered by Captain Charles Moore, founder of the Algalita Research Foundation, a non-profit group dedicated to solving the issue of marine plastic pollution.

Moore, who was the first one to discover the famed North Pacific garbage patch in 1997, estimates this zone of plastic pollution could be upwards of a million square miles in size.
==========================================

How much of this is a bad thing. Yes animals can become entangled and killed and it looks like shit. But on the other hand it can become it's own ecosystem. Trash on the sea floor becomes reefs. One popular way of disposing of old boats now is to sink them. I saw where they did this with a big military boat... was it an aircraft carrier? Turned it into an instant reef that was soon colonized with all kinds of growth and animals. The huge patches of floating trash, really areas of scattered debree, form floating colonies in areas that were barren before. The open ocean is less populated then the dessert, but if there is some thing floating there all kinds of life will congregate to it. Any thing floating becomes an island in this vast emptiness and to have multiple patches within striking distance of each other, now you have a whole new ecology. It's a floating reef.

Feel free to hate my. I think trash look like shit. I'm offended by it. I'm just saying that it's not the end of the planet. Life adapts and often takes advantage of the opportunities it is given.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Considering that the coral reefs are dying off due to man made warming, yeah, floating plastic reefs may have some benefit.

But there are now a couple "garbage islands" out there that are huge.

The crap we simply toss aside is becoming a real problem.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

RiggerLee

How much of this is a bad thing. Yes animals can become entangled and killed and it looks like shit. But on the other hand it can become it's own ecosystem. Trash on the sea floor becomes reefs. One popular way of disposing of old boats now is to sink them. I saw where they did this with a big military boat... was it an aircraft carrier? Turned it into an instant reef that was soon colonized with all kinds of growth and animals. The huge patches of floating trash, really areas of scattered debree, form floating colonies in areas that were barren before. The open ocean is less populated then the dessert, but if there is some thing floating there all kinds of life will congregate to it. Any thing floating becomes an island in this vast emptiness and to have multiple patches within striking distance of each other, now you have a whole new ecology. It's a floating reef.

Feel free to hate my. I think trash look like shit. I'm offended by it. I'm just saying that it's not the end of the planet. Life adapts and often takes advantage of the opportunities it is given.

Lee

Fish and birds don't eat sunken ships.

:|

One popular way of disposing of old boats now is to sink them. I saw where they did this with a big military boat... was it an aircraft carrier?

The "USS Oriskany" is sunk off the panhandle of Florida.

An interesting aside from the movie, "Top Gun,"

Viper reveals that he served with Maverick's father, Duke Mitchell, on the USS Oriskany.

This is a very expensive process. They have to make the ship eco-friendly before they sink it. No oil, no grease, no fuel, nothing that can potentially hurt the environment. Big bucks.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

RiggerLee

Lee

Usually its a dead ecosystem.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/22/florida-retrieving-700000-tires-after-failed-bid-to-create-artifical-reef

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/02/microplastics-killing-fish-before-they-reach-reproductive-age-study-finds

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/microplastics.html

"Stretching from inland rivers and bays to the edge of the continental shelf, the coastal ocean accounts for about 10 percent of the ocean’s surface area. Yet this relatively small sliver of ocean contains about half of all the microscopic plants adrift in our seas.

With satellites we can see what fishermen find with their nets: Coastal waters are the most biologically productive portions of the world’s oceans. Acre for acre, the coastal ocean is as productive as a prosperous Midwestern farm.

This is not necessarily a surprise. Microscopic plants, or phytoplankton, form the base of most of the food webs in the ocean. Microscopic animals (zooplankton) eat the phytoplankton, and are in turn eaten by other, larger animals. Increased biological activity by plants enhances animal activity."
https://www.whoi.edu/oceanus/feature/the-grass-is-greener-in-the-coastal-ocean

Bob_Church

He had to be euthanized. This leaves two females, both related, and in-vitro but it doesn't sound encouraging.

Hi Bob!!!
At first i thought you were talking about a Yankee "Republican In Name Only" from among the"northern state's???????"
(Really, this is not a joke!!)
GOT GUNZ...........OUTLAW!!!!!!,
Audentes, Fortuna, Juvat,
III%,
skybill-out
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out