Bob_Church

Speaking of bad bad movies

James Franco made a movie about the making of “The Room” aptly named “The Disaster Artist.” From everything I’ve heard it’s a good movie about a painfully bad movie.
But the original movie, “The Room” has been rereleased and is being show in theaters right now. Which means that some poor bastards are inevitably going to confuse the two and pay real money to see “The Room” without even the benefits of rifftracks. This is not going to be pretty.
I fully expect to see news reports about audience anger over this one.

ryoder

Some people still go to theaters???:S

That's something I often wonder about. As a teenager in the 60s and early 70s we all hung around the Pastime Pizza Parlor in Marietta, Oh. Those who hadn't been kicked out yet were inside and the rest of us just sort of hung around outside and across the street in the big parking lot. There were versions of that in other towns. But you never see this anymore. It can't just be the Malls can it, they close at 10pm. I'm just curious what the current version of hanging out on weekend nights is.

rifleman

It'll have to go a long way to be worse than Battlefield Earth which I believe won 7 razzies in its year of release and also worst film of the decade.

First comment: This movie is in my list of the top 359,000 films of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhNuXvlCTTc

:D:D:D

ETA Rotten Tomatoes: 3%/11%:D
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/battlefield_earth/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Bob_Church

There's no way I can accurately describe 'The Room'
I'll have to let it speak for itself.

The Room takes "bad" to a whole new level - I love it. I was so excited when I heard Seth Rogen was a fan and wanted to do a movie about it. I showed The Room to my boyfriend a few months ago and when we get a bit of time we are very much looking forward to watching The Disaster Artist together. Franco is incredible at imitating Wiseau and from several side-by-side YouTube videos the attention to detail is amazing.

I. Can't. Wait!!!! :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

***There's no way I can accurately describe 'The Room'
I'll have to let it speak for itself.

The Room takes "bad" to a whole new level - I love it. I was so excited when I heard Seth Rogen was a fan and wanted to do a movie about it. I showed The Room to my boyfriend a few months ago and when we get a bit of time we are very much looking forward to watching The Disaster Artist together. Franco is incredible at imitating Wiseau and from several side-by-side YouTube videos the attention to detail is amazing.

Have you seen "The Deuce"? Franco plays two brothers and does a first rate job of both.

Nataly

James Franco's interview on Jimmy Fallon is very good because not only does he give the background of making "The Disaster Artist", but he also sprinkles the story with his Tommy Wiseau impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQWpA-9kmJQ
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Bob_Church

***Some people still go to theaters???:S

....and the rest of us just sort of hung around outside and across the street in the big parking lot. There were versions of that in other towns. But you never see this anymore. It can't just be the Malls can it, they close at 10pm. I'm just curious what the current version of hanging out on weekend nights is.

We did the same thing. I think that has been replaced by the smartphone.

NewGuy2005

******Some people still go to theaters???:S

....and the rest of us just sort of hung around outside and across the street in the big parking lot. There were versions of that in other towns. But you never see this anymore. It can't just be the Malls can it, they close at 10pm. I'm just curious what the current version of hanging out on weekend nights is.

Everything keeps changing.

NewGuy2005

The Sonic drive-in fast food joint near my house is always packed on nice summer weekend nights. Car lovers young and old hang out there, checking out each others rides, shooting the shit, etc.

Somethings haven't changed (yet)
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

DanG

Sorry, Franco has been accused of sexual harassment. No one is allowed to see his movies anymore.

I'd still watch The Interview anyway. Just to see Kim Jong Un blown the fuck up. :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

oldwomanc6

From what I understand, people have never stopped going to "The Room." It's achieved cult status, albeit small, and as everybody knows, virtually all cult movies are dreadful. I think being bad is actually a prerequisite. ;)

You mean "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is actually a BAD movie? :D

gowlerk

You mean "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is actually a BAD movie?

I took a girl to see that movie for a first date. Married and been divorced from her since then. So, mixed feelings about it!

:D:D
Well, I say anytime you can see a young Susan Sarandon in her underwear, that's a nice thing. :)

JohnMitchell

***From what I understand, people have never stopped going to "The Room." It's achieved cult status, albeit small, and as everybody knows, virtually all cult movies are dreadful. I think being bad is actually a prerequisite. ;)

I saw that the night before my first jump in '78, so it's never going to be bad for me. :)

It's classic cult. B|
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

JohnMitchell

I had a GF who just absolutely hated it when I would start singing the first few lines of "Sweet Transvestite".:D
Hell, she had seen it twice, (once just us, and the second time she brought another couple).
It was like she thought I was really going to become a transvestite.