ryoder

2018-04-04 Daytona Beach plane crash

I've been waiting for the NTSB prelim to be posted, which appeared today. It was an Embry-Riddle Piper PA28R flying the pattern with with an examiner and examinee, when the left wing broke off!:o The plane was only a little over 10 years old.

News article: http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180404/2-killed-in-erau-training-flight-plane-crash-west-of-daytona-beach

NTSB prelim: https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20180404X13226&AKey=1&RType=HTML&IType=FA

So at the end of the prelim, it sounds like the plane had been overstressed.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

One of my flight instructors mentioned that a low wing aircraft with landing gear on the wings, will receive much more stress than say a high wing aircraft with gear on the fuselage (ex 172). I've been flying a Piper Cherokee for most of my PPL training flights, but also have some time in a 152 trainer as well.

Still sad to see. A few years back I lost a student pilot friend in Ohio as well.
Dream my life, live my dream

akjmpplt

And you never know what the guy before you did with/to the airplane.

My first brother in law took flying lessons for awhile. One time his instructor couldn't make it but he was doing solos then so his instructor, over the phone, told him to practice some 90s.
When Junior was returning the plane the guy asked him how it went. Junior said not so good, he could get it to about 80 degrees when it would shake and shudder so much that he couldn't get it any steeper.
The had to pull it from the line for inspection.

This site needs the ability to post animated GIFs...

Just look at Cornholio's gif -- no, we don't :ph34r:

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)