Bob_Church

Bizarre Canadian Medicine

This is actually allowed in Canada. A homeopathic practitioner has given a four year old saliva from a rabid dog to treat the four year old's "behavior problems." She reports remarkable success. No idea how she determined that but hey, that would be too much like oppressive traditional medicine.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/04/homeopath-treated-4-yr-old-boys-behavior-problems-with-saliva-from-rabid-dog/

"claims she treated a 4 y/o boy"

Also claims to have used what's known as "lyssinum." In pellet form.

Now I haven't researched lyssinum, but I did dig into "homeopathic pellets" when I had a friend who in a lapse of common sense, showed me their "mercury" pellets they got from a homeopath store. The claim is based on the erroneous notion that various substances have some magical energy that they can impart on other substances. They "expose" some substrate (sugar) to mercury (and I would assume "rabid dog saliva"), and then dilute it by billions upon billions of times. At the time I ran the numbers and for the mercury pellets, even if directly exposed to mercury, it was unlikely there was a single atom of mercury in the (basically a sugar pellet). This is also necessary because otherwise they would be selling a poison (homeopath or not, illegal), but in reality they are selling unflavored tic-tacs.

Hope that helped calm your outrage :)

(If she actually gave him rabid dog saliva, he would have rabies, and be dead now).

Anachronist

"claims she treated a 4 y/o boy"

Also claims to have used what's known as "lyssinum." In pellet form.

Now I haven't researched lyssinum, but I did dig into "homeopathic pellets" when I had a friend who in a lapse of common sense, showed me their "mercury" pellets they got from a homeopath store. The claim is based on the erroneous notion that various substances have some magical energy that they can impart on other substances. They "expose" some substrate (sugar) to mercury (and I would assume "rabid dog saliva"), and then dilute it by billions upon billions of times. At the time I ran the numbers and for the mercury pellets, even if directly exposed to mercury, it was unlikely there was a single atom of mercury in the (basically a sugar pellet). This is also necessary because otherwise they would be selling a poison (homeopath or not, illegal), but in reality they are selling unflavored tic-tacs.

Hope that helped calm your outrage :)

(If she actually gave him rabid dog saliva, he would have rabies, and be dead now).

If I had any outrage it's over a four year old with problems being treated by an idiot.
It's like everyone got a day at a time calendar of statistics terms so now everything is an excuse to use them.

More like everyone went to school and got an education and understands something you don't, but you're old and bitter and think that oldness and bitterness are somehow justification for every erroneous view you hold and an excuse for your ignorance.

Not to mention, nothing in my reply is specific to stats, only very basic math and serial dilutions; your naivety is truly befuddling.

But I think I've discovered you're probably crazy since this seems to be a pattern you have of posting wildly misleading news articles in great quantity. So, sorry I stuck my head in the door, have fun in crazy town, peace out.

Anachronist

More like everyone went to school and got an education and understands something you don't, but you're old and bitter and think that oldness and bitterness are somehow justification for every erroneous view you hold and an excuse for your ignorance.

Not to mention, nothing in my reply is specific to stats, only very basic math and serial dilutions; your naivety is truly befuddling.

But I think I've discovered you're probably crazy since this seems to be a pattern you have of posting wildly misleading news articles in great quantity. So, sorry I stuck my head in the door, have fun in crazy town, peace out.

Let's not feed the troll.

gowlerk

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/hundreds-of-babies-harmed-by-homeopathic-remedies-families-say/

There is no supervision when they dilute their poisons into magic potions.

If that's TL;DR, here is a key example from the article about babies getting seriously ill after using a homeopathic teething remedy:

Several weeks ago, on Jan. 27, the FDA issued another warning, saying that laboratory analysis of Hyland’s teething tablets found levels of belladonna “sometimes far exceeding the amount claimed on the label.”

billvon

>If I had any outrage it's over a four year old with problems being treated by an idiot.

That's fine. There are plenty of idiots out there. At least the homeopathic idiots do no direct harm with their quackery.

Not getting the kid real help isn't a problem?

Bob_Church

***>If I had any outrage it's over a four year old with problems being treated by an idiot.

That's fine. There are plenty of idiots out there. At least the homeopathic idiots do no direct harm with their quackery.

Not getting the kid real help isn't a problem?

Meh.... What kind of help? Apparently this 4 YO was being "treated" for "behavior problems". Sounds more likely the parents are in need of real treatment.

Health Canada investigating use of unlicensed homeopathic remedy made from rabid dog saliva
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/health-canada-investigating-use-of-unlicensed-homeopathic-remedy-made-from-rabid-dog-saliva-1.4628761

Internal emails show EPA working to limit agency's use of science
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/384039-internal-emails-show-epa-working-to-limit-agencys-use-of-science

The whole world is going rabidly insane.

pchapman

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/hundreds-of-babies-harmed-by-homeopathic-remedies-families-say/

There is no supervision when they dilute their poisons into magic potions.

If that's TL;DR, here is a key example from the article about babies getting seriously ill after using a homeopathic teething remedy:

Several weeks ago, on Jan. 27, the FDA issued another warning, saying that laboratory analysis of Hyland’s teething tablets found levels of belladonna “sometimes far exceeding the amount claimed on the label.”

Well, dammit;
If we can no longer trust the quacks to provide harmless placebos, then who can we trust?[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.