Bob_Church

What's wrong with this photo

If that plane had completely decompressed for any length of time most of those passengers would have been in trouble.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/southwest-emergency-landing-prompts-conversation-about-in-flight-safety-demos/

"PEOPLE: Listen to your flight attendants! ALMOST EVERYONE in this photo from @SouthwestAir #SWA1380 today is wearing their mask WRONG. Put down the phone, stop with the selfies.. and LISTEN. "

The funny thing to me is we refer to idiots as mouthbreathers. In this case if you are too dumb to put the mask over your nose and you are actually a mouthbreather, it works out for you.

The true takeaway for me from this incident is not "put your mask over your nose", but "don't sit by the window in a row in line with the engine fan"
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

SethInMI

The true takeaway for me from this incident is not "put your mask over your nose", but "don't sit by the window in a row in line with the engine fan"

Observe where the engine is located.
Now observe which window was knocked out.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

download.jpg

ryoder

I read an article awhile back after one of those crashes where some people survived because of there they'd been sitting. The author went on to show that wherever you sit on a plane your survival would depend on the type of crash.
The first thing I saw about this was a ten second clip of a guy's face. I thought "could anyone be a big enough loser to want a selfie now?" And it turns out he had company.

You know, once the fools pass out because they were wearing the masks improperly, they will be much less of a distraction for the flight crew, so this could be a good thing.>:(

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

As you have heard, that was not the row affected. I've been told by someone who rebuilds these engines (sometimes for South West, but not this one) that the word is the fan blade was found in the locked up engine downsteam. It was cowling parts that went through the window.

ryoder

Well damn. That's what I get for ignoring air resistance in my detailed trajectory calculations. :).

The REAL takeaway from this incident is "don't worry about it. The odds of getting sucked out of a plane to your death are still lower than, well, most other forms of death you don't worry about either"
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

SethInMI

Well damn. That's what I get for ignoring air resistance in my detailed trajectory calculations. :).

The REAL takeaway from this incident is "don't worry about it. The odds of getting sucked out of a plane to your death are still lower than, well, most other forms of death you don't worry about either"

I see it more as "the only safe place to be sitting as an airplane takes off is in the coffee shop."

Bob_Church

I see it more as "the only safe place to be sitting as an airplane takes off is in the coffee shop."

As long as you don't choke on a pastry. ;)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

As long as you don't choke on a pastry. ;)

Or the prices.

Just flew it cross-country yesterday, but the rig was in the overhead. Would have been tough to get it on ;)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

SethInMI

Mine would be to keep the seatbelt on even when the seat belt light is off. It is what is recomended anyway and is good to have in turbulence as well. That could have helped as well form what i understand even though she was not sucked out completly.
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

Bob_Church

***I'm flying on south west Monday. Maybe I should wear my rig just in case.:P:P

y

And risk tearing it up?

———————————————————————

Most sport rigs are small enough to stuff into a standard carry-on bag.