akarunway

Tom Cruise new movie

akarunway

Who was the vidiot?

I haven't seen the movie, but I do recall he did the skydiving scenes in England. Correct me if I'm wrong.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It actually looks like the England jumps were maybe practice or something, the HALO jumps were done in UAE, though saying they were done there because of "legality" has me really curious. This story totally cracked me up:

http://deadline.com/2018/04/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-fallout-skydive-stunt-cinemacon-1202376453/

And this one has a nice shot of them getting ready to exit. I'd be very interested to know more about what type of equipment they had on their helmets. And the 2nd guy from the left, is he wearing a birdman suit? It would make sense, to be able to get a nice shot from above that it would be difficult to get otherwise when you are exiting at 25-30K.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2393662/the-crazy-way-tom-cruise-had-to-film-a-mission-impossible-fallout-plane-jumping-stunt

The movie isn't coming out until July.

>And this one has a nice shot of them getting ready to exit. I'd be very interested to know
>more about what type of equipment they had on their helmets.

DSE would probably know. (Heck, he was probably involved.)

This comment brought back memories:

"Just one shot left At 25,000 feet At 200 mph At dusk Three minutes of available light
Two minutes of action One chance per day"

About ten years ago Amy and I were working on a Honda commercial at Perris and Apple Valley. The sun was at the right angle only twice a day - and in the morning, when the cameramen were at the right angle to the sun, downtown Perris was in the background (and downtown Perris isn't the most photogenic place.) And they were using the DC-3, which meant every engine start was an adventure fraught with peril.

So that meant one (_maybe_ two) jumps a day, which is why getting the footage for a 90 second commercial took ten days.

On the plus side we were getting paid by the day, the gear was provided free (and we could keep it afterwards) and the guy at the craft table made really good quesadillas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI2U7xkcgbc

***It actually looks like the England jumps were maybe practice or something, the HALO jumps were done in UAE, though saying they were done there because of "legality" has me really curious. ..........................
——————————————————————————————

I am curious if they did chute-less jumps.

No, I do not mean concealed parachutes.
I mean stuntmen only wearing tandem student harnesses under costumes. They hook onto a tandem instructor part way down and land with the TI.

A while back, I was asked to research chute-less jumps. We did a few practice jumps with everyone wearing their own parachutes. And I sewed up riser samples.

During my due diligence search I found 8 or more chute-less jumps starting with Bill Cole back during the 1960s.
Chute-less jumps are much easier to organize these days with wind-tunnels, tandem rigs, etc.
Wind-tunnels allow you to adjust weights and jumpsuits to exactly match fall rates.
Since tandem rigs are designed to land a pair softly, that eliminates another variable.

Travis Pastrani did a chute-less exit then had the tandem instructor hook up with him in freefall.

Pretty stupid stunt IMO but to each their own.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Travis Pastrani did a chute-less exit then had the tandem instructor hook up with him in freefall.

I think it was 1980 at one of the Z-hills boogie When Carl Boenish used the side of the building as a screen and showed a lot of great movies. One was Rob Packs jump in which the belly mount was put into a large baking bowl for better grips. He flew to the guy with the parachute, took it, snapped it on, then released the bowl and opened.
I wanted to see how the bowl came through it but they never showed that.

Bob_Church

***Travis Pastrani did a chute-less exit then had the tandem instructor hook up with him in freefall.

I think it was 1980 at one of the Z-hills boogie When Carl Boenish used the side of the building as a screen and showed a lot of great movies. One was Rob Packs jump in which the belly mount was put into a large baking bowl for better grips. He flew to the guy with the parachute, took it, snapped it on, then released the bowl and opened.
I wanted to see how the bowl came through it but they never showed that.

There was the escape artist in the mid 90's who was shackled inside a large mail bag or whatever it was, suspended inside a steel cage, that was rolled off the tailgate of a Skyvan or Casa, don't remember what it was. the belly mounted parachute was strapped to the outside of the cage by the door. It was a pretty entertaining jump, the cage was held stable by a couple of skydivers while the dude inside did his thing. I don't remember how low he was when he finally flew off from the cage to deploy the parachute.

There was the escape artist in the mid 90's who was shackled inside a large mail bag or whatever it was, suspended inside a steel cage, that was rolled off the tailgate of a Skyvan or Casa, don't remember what it was. the belly mounted parachute was strapped to the outside of the cage by the door. It was a pretty entertaining jump, the cage was held stable by a couple of skydivers while the dude inside did his thing. I don't remember how low he was when he finally flew off from the cage to deploy the parachute.

Dean Gunnarson. From my home town of Winnipeg. He took PFF at Morden Manitoba to learn basic skydiving in preparation for the stunt. It was performed in Japan for the special 500th episode of some TV show.

gowlerk

Dean Gunnarson. From my home town of Winnipeg. He took PFF at Morden Manitoba to learn basic skydiving in preparation for the stunt. It was performed in Japan for the special 500th episode of some TV show.

Japan? Looked like outside of Eloy to me where the cage crashed into the ground. He drove off in a Porsche 911 after landing.

gowlerk

Aha... we're thinking of different guys... I was talking about Robert Gallup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4s413QZMkA

And does that look like the C-123?

While I agree that a tandem rig would have need a wiser choice, there was no tandem used during Pastrani’s stunt.

Minor correction: Travis Pastrani’s “catcher” wore a Javelin - albeit with large canopies. Harness modifications were limited. The most important modification was weaving tubular webbing through slots in the RW-1 (maybe RW-10) harness rings. That tubular webbing led to a lanyard that terminated with a carabiner.

Travis was probably the first “chuteless” jumper to wear a concealed harness. Since his wardrobe only included running shorts, he wore a climbing harness concealed inside his shorts. Pastrani flew on his belly for most of the free Fall. After they met in free fall, the “catcher” sat on Travis’ rump and clipped a carabiner onto the back of his climbing harness.
They landed on a soft sand beach .... too far away for a camera to catch the inevitable face-plant!
Hah!
Hah!

While Pastrani’s chuteless jump may look reckless to skydivers, it is important to remember that Pastrani is an experienced motorcycle stunt rider with plenty of experience assessing risks for motorcycle stunts that had never been done before. Pastrani broke a few bones while learning motorcycle stunt-riding.