Bob_Church

School levy, attempt three

We're off the to the polls for the third attempt to get a school levy passed. Gwyn is optimistic but I'm not. People are just too good at coming up with excuses. And speaking of excuses I think I've now seen the most twisted excuse for voting against a school levy that I've ever seen.
According to this guy we should vote it down for the sake of the children.

"“School funding in Ohio has been found to be unconstitutional. Supporting any school levies will just continue the same unconstitutional school funding system we have now. This needs to stop and be fixed at the state level and not via local levies so we in Athens County, the poorest county in the state, get the same educational opportunities and money for schools that other parts of the state get. Every child deserves equity in education.”"

https://www.athensnews.com/opinion/athens_voice/athens-voice/article_b4b96472-4e0f-11e8-9231-03628354ea20.html

Shit. This just isn't right.

• Alexander Local School District 1 percent income-tax levy

Yes: 1, 259 votes, 49.18 percent

No: 1,301 votes, 50.82 percent. The levy also failed in Meigs County, which is partly in the Alexander district (188 yes to 205 no). It failed in Vinton County as well, with 8 in favor and 9 against.

It's hard to find enough people that like having taxes raised, even if it's for schools. So it makes news when a raise in property tax gets voted in.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I went to jr high in Ohio. At the time, I thought kids in Youngstown were lucky, because their teachers went out on strike every year (probably for all the same stuff). People can’t seem to value what’s not interesting them today.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

I went to jr high in Ohio. At the time, I thought kids in Youngstown were lucky, because their teachers went out on strike every year (probably for all the same stuff). People can’t seem to value what’s not interesting them today.

Wendy P.

I'm amazed at all the fees we pay at the beginning of the school year for various things, including teacher supplies. They are seriously under-funded.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We spend about $2000-3000 per year in classroom supplies out of our pocket since the total budget for classroom supplies from the district is about $100 for this year. That needs to do all the construction paper, printer paper and ink, classroom books, posters, bulletin board supplies, and everything else that goes into the class each year. We just had to go buy new seat covers, headphones and whole list of new items since the kids this year just destroyed them, notes we’re sent home asking for parents to replace what their child broke and were met with replies of “ your a rich teacher, you do it yourself” or were flat out ignored
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com