Bob_Church

Weak beer in Australia

Or, stories we never thought we'd read.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-02/australian-brewers-make-weaker-beer-to-attract-younger-drinkers

I guess the link says it all. If you can't get through the paywall I've attached a pdf of the story.

Australian Brewers Make Weaker Beer to Attract Younger Drinkers - Bloomberg.pdf

In my state (NSW, where Sydney is capital), we only get away with driving if we are under 0.05 BAC. As I genuinely enjoy the taste of beer, this usually means limiting myself to a couple schooners. Weaker beer that tastes good would suit for this purpose. My beer of choice is still 4.6% so not terribly weak.

JamesBond

In my state (NSW, where Sydney is capital), we only get away with driving if we are under 0.05 BAC. As I genuinely enjoy the taste of beer, this usually means limiting myself to a couple schooners. Weaker beer that tastes good would suit for this purpose. My beer of choice is still 4.6% so not terribly weak.

I can't drink, it's a strange health thing that runs in my family and comes on in our 30s. It's like the blush I've heard about in some Japanese people. But I miss it.

Bob_Church

I can't drink, it's a strange health thing that runs in my family and comes on in our 30s. It's like the blush I've heard about in some Japanese people. But I miss it.

Well, I'll be damned;
I just finally figured out a couple years ago that I am in the same situation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction
For me, it came on before I was even 20yo.

AFAIK, both my parents came from Swiss/German background.
Since neither of them drank, (for religious reasons), I have no idea which of them I inherited it from.

In doing a lot of reading on the topic, it seems that since people like us cannot get rid of the acetaldehyde as quickly as average people, we are also much more likely to suffer the carcinogenic effects of it. So it is stupid to even try to drink at all.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Well, I'll be damned;
I just finally figured out a couple years ago that I am in the same situation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction
For me, it came on before I was even 20yo.

AFAIK, both my parents came from Swiss/German background.
Since neither of them drank, (for religious reasons), I have no idea which of them I inherited it from.

In doing a lot of reading on the topic, it seems that since people like us cannot get rid of the acetaldehyde as quickly as average people, we are also much more likely to suffer the carcinogenic effects of it. So it is stupid to even try to drink at all.

I first noticed it in my late 20s, if I "drank wrong" that is on an empty stomach or something I'd get a nasty rash on my arms and a headache. By my early 40s it was just out of the question.I'd go six weeks and think it wouldn't be so bad and buy a six pack, and deeply regret it. I can be a slow learner when I want to be. I can remember my last drink. It was late 80s and we were at the beach in a nice condo and I made our traditional first night there huge meal, and we had a fairly expensive bottle of wine. I had half a glass of wine and ended up in bed with ice on my head and a couple of serious pain killers (I had them left over from some kidney stones) and my head feeling like it would explode. That was it.
Me and two of my brothers take after my Mom and we all three got it. My other three brothers are free to drink themselves to death like my old man did.

Bob_Church

"In doing a lot of reading on the topic, it seems that since people like us cannot get rid of the acetaldehyde as quickly as average people."

Reading that always makes me feel like a replicant.

"I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe.":P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***"In doing a lot of reading on the topic, it seems that since people like us cannot get rid of the acetaldehyde as quickly as average people."

Reading that always makes me feel like a replicant.

"I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe.":P

I've seen night stacks slipping between the clouds over black West Virginia forests
I've felt the gentle pat on my chest of 30,000 peoples' applause as I turned on final at a demo.
I've seen truck loads of beer disappear, like piss in the rain

i was really dissapointed in australias beer selection.
the only dark beer you will find there is guiness.
each place i visited was very loyal to their local brew.
great northern, XXXX, and victoria bitter were all very weak beers.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121