Bob_Church

Morons at tech support, this gets old

Really old.

Compared to IOS, the operating system that runs on iPads and iPhones, Mac OS software is very hard to write. When writing for IOS it's much much easier and the interface is pretty much created for you. So it's also a lot easier to cludge up some piece of crap software that should have never been released but they put it in the box so they can say IOS App included.
Ok, but that's not what I'm complaining about. This happens over and over and my question back to them is "why would I by a piece of equipment from someone who doesn't not only doesn't know the different between IOS and Mac OS but doesn't even know there is one?
I just had this exchange, but it's typical.

I posted this question to their board.

The ad says Mac OS but has anyone tried using it from Mac OS, will I be able to access the camera from my Macintosh?

And got this answer.

I would say yes. We used it with our I-pads while travelling and it worked perfectly.

Sometimes it's physically painful to not be able to reach out and slap the person you're trying to talk with.

Phillbo

If you know so much more than the maroon, why did you bother connecting with him?

How do you tell a troll from someone who just isn't smart enough to know what he's saying?

Well, it's like on the new version of Westworld when the guy is hitting it off with a girl then says "but are you real?" and she says "if you can't tell the difference does it matter?"

Bob_Church

The ad says Mac OS but has anyone tried using it from Mac OS, will I be able to access the camera from my Macintosh?

All the cameras I've used in the past decade use a USB interface and automount like a USB storage device when plugged in. Is there any reason to think this camera won't do the same?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

All the cameras I've used in the past decade use a USB interface and automount like a USB storage device when plugged in. Is there any reason to think this camera won't do the same?

These are video cameras. But the software they send will only run on a phone or pad, so if you want to monitor the camera you have to walk around staring into a phone. Which I suppose would make some people feel right at home, but I'd much prefer to access them from one of my computers.
Some of them will work with third party software, which is expensive but the way to go, but not all. But the vendors don't even know any OS except maybe Windows so you don't know if it will work or not until it gets delivered. It's like the late 80s again and trying to get drivers for something.

OK, so you want to do real-time monitoring, rather than just importing the video after it has been recorded?
I currently have one camera that can send real-time video via WiFi to my iPhone, but I only use that feature briefly to aim the camera when mounting it on a bike helmet.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

OK, so you want to do real-time monitoring, rather than just importing the video after it has been recorded?
I currently have one camera that can send real-time video via WiFi to my iPhone, but I only use that feature briefly to aim the camera when mounting it on a bike helmet.

I've got several that I'm trying to compare. A couple of them will work on my Mac with no extra software at all, a few will run on third party software like SecuritySpy or Periscope. And some of them, despite what they say in the ads and sometimes even on the box won't run on Mac OS at all, only iPads.
At least I'm not paying for them, but I even hate wasting other people's money. And my time and effort.

ryoder

The real winner is still the good old hardwired security cameras connected to a DVR but there are times when getting coax from the camera to the dvr is a deal breaker.