peek

another cell phone question

For the second time in recent months, I have been on a land line, and someone on a cell phone called that number. They later said that the line "just kept ringing", as in "no answer".

However, it should have been giving them a "busy signal".

Anyone else experiencing this that you know of?

peek

For the second time in recent months, I have been on a land line, and someone on a cell phone called that number. They later said that the line "just kept ringing", as in "no answer".

If it was me, I'd find out what carriers my friends used and experiment to see if it something with the land line or something with a carrier (or two). If it only happens with one or two carriers, then it's likely a carrier issue.

Mind you, that would be my next step only because I'm otherwise clueless, and need more information to try to isolate a problem.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

peek

I'm afraid it's been too long since i've been in a Central Office and technology has changed too much for me to help. I can add one thing though, not that it will help. Do you remember the line in 'Strange Brew' about mice in a bottle where the old line boss said "well, it didn't use to happen"
The PUCO used to watch the phone companies for just this sort of thing, usually the stuff that doesn't get reported because of its now and then aspect. Things like high and dry, that is, dialing a number and it doesn't ring at all, busy signals that don't work, all that.They pick a problem each month and measure for it and the results would affect the amounts they were allowed to charge when the next rate negotiations came up. That was something I'd tell people but they ignored. Someone with a chronic problem was so burned out and frustrated calling the various numbers to complain that they'd give up, but a call to PUCO would be taken so seriously that you'd suddenly have enough phone trucks in your driveway to start a coffee shop. Each one affected billing based on the complaint and how well it was resolved and it was done under the assumption that one person calling PUCO meant there were thousands with the same problem who didn't. The phone company took those reports very very seriously.
Sorry I couldn't contribute much more than a walk down memory lane. Dereg changed everything, mostly for good but there are some things we could still really use.

GalFisk

You don't have a "call waiting" service on the landline? It's supposed to let the second caller hear the phone ringing, and give you some sort of signal that another call is incoming.

Thank you very much. You answered my question. I did a test and that is exactly what is happening. The stupid part is that I had been wondering what those beeps were in my (company) land line when I was talking on it. It was probably customers that I was ignoring while having a lengthy conversation with a friend!