Bob_Church

drivers license question

We were talking about vision and driving and my wife pointed out that they no longer seem to test for color vision. Once she mentioned it I realized that yes, it's been quite awhile.
Any ideas why they stopped? I'm assuming they just decided there wasn't any reason for it.

Bob_Church

We were talking about vision and driving and my wife pointed out that they no longer seem to test for color vision. Once she mentioned it I realized that yes, it's been quite awhile.
Any ideas why they stopped? I'm assuming they just decided there wasn't any reason for it.

I hope there's not going to be any issues... like say if you're color-blind, and you're driving in an area using traffic lights that are oriented differently than you're used to, like horizontally... how do you know if it's red or green? It's been a while since I've seen lights like those.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

***We were talking about vision and driving and my wife pointed out that they no longer seem to test for color vision. Once she mentioned it I realized that yes, it's been quite awhile.

I hope there's not going to be any issues... like say if you're color-blind, and you're driving in an area using traffic lights that are oriented differently than you're used to, like horizontally... how do you know if it's red or green? It's been a while since I've seen lights like those.

In the US, they should be R-Y-G, left to right. In general, red should be closest to opposing traffic, so the order would be reversed in left-side driving countries. I had to look it up, but it's probably common knowledge among color-blind drivers.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Bob_Church

My dad was color blind, and I don't ever remember him mentioning CA testing him for it. I don't ever remember being tested myself in the 70s and 80s (just as an aside, I have "perfect pitch" for color; ironic dontcha think?). :D

My son is blind in one eye, and MD only asks for a dr. sign off, and you need two side-view mirrors (as if cars come any other way in the last 40 years. :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I am color blind to a slight degree in the hues of green and red. The most common among males. Trafic lights have never been an issue.. I am a millwright and do every type of mechanical and electrical type of repair using the electrical color code and don't have any issues.
It all is determined by how severe it is. Mine was enough to keep me from being a DS in the navy.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

I cannot remember being tested for colour-vision to simply drive a car.
However I still have to pass colour-vision tests to retain my class 2 commercial driver’s licence (city bus).

My pilot medical also requires colour-vision testing.

Kong

My wife just renewed her license in WI Monday. No check for color vision.

Oops. CDL not regular gets it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Bob_Church

D/L? What's that? Haven't had one since 87. Screw the gov't. Just drive carefully. :)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

If you are colorblind you know "this" color means stop and "this" color means go. At some point in time; somebody pointed to a color and told you it was red (or green). From then on; you associate the color you saw and were told what it was; with the color you see.

It only becomes imperative in situations like; wiring, boom things, etc.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

If you are colorblind you know "this" color means stop and "this" color means go. At some point in time; somebody pointed to a color and told you it was red (or green). From then on; you associate the color you saw and were told what it was; with the color you see.

It used to be the kiss of death if you wanted to work at Bell Telephone. I remember when they came out with some combination of lenses that allowed color blind people to work there.
There are two sets of five colors that identify all cable pairs.

White Red Black Yellow Violet

and

Blue Orange Green Brown Slate.

You just never forget those.

Dl. What's that? Lost mine over 30 yrs ago and said fuck em. Got pulled for speeding a few yrs ago. Cop said I have a perfect driving record and let me go w/ a ticket . Judge said " If you have no license why are you speeding?" $1000 case closed. :P

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

$1000 case closed. :P

Which costs 10x more than just having had a drivers license the entire time... Plus, there are consequences far greater than $1000 if you get into a crash without a license. Your insurance company is not likely to pay out in any claim resulting in you driving without a license and if someone gets injured in a car crash, even if it's not your fault, and you're not licensed and your insurance company wont pay, $1000 is going to be pocket change compared to what you'll face if they decide to sue you.

BIGUN

I remember being tested for it when I first got my drivers license in Ohio in the early 70s. Now I have to wonder if it had anything to do with driving. If you were studying color blindness it would be a good way to find out how much is out there. They could do stuff like that back then without someone stopping it with a lawsuit.

Westerly

***$1000 case closed. :P

Which costs 10x more than just having had a drivers license the entire time... Plus, there are consequences far greater than $1000 if you get into a crash without a license. Your insurance company is not likely to pay out in any claim resulting in you driving without a license and if someone gets injured in a car crash, even if it's not your fault, and you're not licensed and your insurance company wont pay, $1000 is going to be pocket change compared to what you'll face if they decide to sue you.

I was under the impression- no license = no insurance?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.