Chicago Area 30 Jun - 3 July 2018

Anybody going to be in the greater Chicago area during the weekend before the 4th of July? I will be flying from VCE to ORD for a short visit in the area and intend to get some jumps in, jet lag or no jet lag -- hah.

Chicago folks - please tell Vallerina I said hi. I don't know if she's active anymore but she lives (or used to) in the Chicago area and we hung out at the DZ.com tent at Rantoul many moons ago....thanks!

mh

Edit to add - any boogies / events in the area?

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

markharju

Anybody going to be in the greater Chicago area during the weekend before the 4th of July? I will be flying from VCE to ORD for a short visit in the area and intend to get some jumps in, jet lag or no jet lag -- hah.

Chicago folks - please tell Vallerina I said hi. I don't know if she's active anymore but she lives (or used to) in the Chicago area and we hung out at the DZ.com tent at Rantoul many moons ago....thanks!

mh

Edit to add - any boogies / events in the area?

Time for bonus round - any accomodations available at SDC? I've looked at the website but they want $100 per night for a decent place. I will have a car and am sure I can stay at a Motel VI for less than that but of course the convenience can't be beat. I was hping for a bunkhouse late Perris has...

mh

Keith Nugent has a bunkhouse trailer on the dz. There are a few rental trailers on the dz. Some are listed here: http://aloftrentals.com/properties

There's also a Super8 in Peru a 20-minute drive from the dz for $70/night if you have AAA ($78 otherwise). I stayed there last year and it wasn't bad at all. Quiet. Nice proprietors. Showers that don't smell like sulfur ;-) And when they found out I had all my heavy skydiving gear that I was carting around, they switched me to a ground-floor room for no extra charge (they don't have an elevator).

Thanks. I've already looked at aloftrentals.com but there is no space available. I will probably stay at a 6 or 8 somewhere within a 50-mile (80km) radius and just drive in. With cheap gas and unlimited mileage on my rental car, it makes no sense to fork out $100 per night just to be near the DZ.

mh

I'll try that. Maybe there will be a cancellation that weekend. I'm visiting relatives in Southern WI so I may end up in Rockford. It's ~83 miles / 133km from SDC but I'm seeing crash-space hotels (e.g., Motel VI, Super VIII) around Rockford for $50/$60 so it's worth the drive IMO. Still making up my mind.

Thanks for your input.

mh

gowlerk

If you are going to be near Rockford there is another good DZ in Rochelle IL. Quite a bit closer than Ottawa.

CSC is nice, but I wouldn't call 15 miles "quite a bit closer". Also, Rock is right across the WI border from Rockford. They have a King Air. Not a huge fun jumper population, though.
SkyKnights is about 35 miles up I 43. Great club DZ, lots of fun jumpers.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

According to the SDC site a Skyvan will be there this weekend. It has been a long time since I jumped from one of those B|

I booked an AirBnB about 8km (~5mi) from the DZ, so anybody who wants to go belly- or sit-flying out of that Skyvan this weekend is welcome to get in touch. Do it soon because I will be incommunicado from about 2am CDT / 8AM GMT on Friday to around 2pm CDT / 8pm GMT on Saturday B|

So anyway, I did end up going to SDC. Rigger Rob did an NDI on my reserve and pronounced it good, so I don't need a new one for now. I also replaced my long-dead Cypres unit, bought a Cookie G3, ordered a new jumpsuit, oh, and made some skydives too. They were the first jumps with my own gear since my little boo-boo two years ago here in Italy :S:o:$

I also met Rook after three days and told him that SDC is the best-organized and managed DZ I've ever seen. It's really quite a place.

mh