promise5

I Got a Motorcycle!!!

I’m taking the Harley Davidson course the first week of
July. I’ll be using their bikes to learn with, I don’t want to hurt my girl
she’s gorgeous!:)

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

I’m taking the Harley Davidson course the first week of
July. I’ll be using their bikes to learn with, I don’t want to hurt my girl
she’s gorgeous!:)

I'm guessing that is a Yamaha V Star 250cc?

It is not pink, so I'm not sure it is really yours.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

promise5

Yes!!!
And Yes!!!!
She’s pretty in white:P

Just be aware, that on the road, everyone is your enemy. Be very visible, and trust no other vehicle or driver.

They all want to kill you.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

obelixtim

***Yes!!!
And Yes!!!!

Just be aware, that on the road, everyone is your enemy. Be very visible, and trust no other vehicle or driver.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS
Skip to 2:20 for real lessons.
The 3 Deadliest Mistakes you can make on a Motorcycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnY8HnSHans

obelixtim

***Yes!!!
And Yes!!!!

Date: 2017-09-18
Time: 1130
Place: Grand Lake CO

Helmet camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYeePRm0ZOI

Rear camera under tail rack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks-qL5DWAmM

Northbound truck had a stop sign, and was slowing as if it was going to stop, but then suddenly accelerated.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

promise5

I’ve been wanting one for so long!!

Congrats! I sold my bike earlier today, so at least a couple people have picked up bikes recently lol. I'm happy for you, motorcycling can be fun and is a great skill to pick up. Hopefully I'm just as thrilled as you when I get my next one :ph34r:

Have fun with it, and stay upright

obelixtim

***Yes!!!
And Yes!!!!

Same with every pedestrian and animal!

When I used to ride, I got into the habit of saying aloud, "everything out there is trying to kill me" as the last thing I did before moving. It kept my awareness right where it should be.

Congrats, A! Have fun and be safe. B|
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Iago

One thing I have never seen, and was always curious if they existed, were anti-collision strobes for motorcycles. We had them on the C-152 and they were quite bright even in daytime.

Granted, they would need to be THAT bright for road use but I could see daytime collisions dropping dramatically if mounted on the headlight.

It exists as a Federal law that permits headlight modulation under strict rules:

https://www.kriss.com/modrules.htm

And I have read that if you install one, you better carry a copy of the law, because you will get stopped by cops that don't know about it.

I’ve seen them in action. Extremely attention-getting, to the degree that I could easily imagine not noticing something else on the road.

I understand that cars are out to get me (I’ve ridden for over 25 years), but seeing these from the car was like dealing with someone who leaves their high beams on. But then I’ve been pretty lucky, and never been involved with bad driving.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

ryoder

One thing I have never seen, and was always curious if they existed, were anti-collision strobes for motorcycles. We had them on the C-152 and they were quite bright even in daytime.

Granted, they would need to be THAT bright for road use but I could see daytime collisions dropping dramatically if mounted on the headlight.

It exists as a Federal law that permits headlight modulation under strict rules:

https://www.kriss.com/modrules.htm

And I have read that if you install one, you better carry a copy of the law, because you will get stopped by cops that don't know about it.

The modulated headlights are very 'attention getting'. I never knew the rules for them, thanks for that.

I know school buses have strobes on their roof. I'm going to guess that those are 'school bus specific' rules that wouldn't carry over to motorcycles, but a strobe like that somewhere (pointed to the front) would be somewhat helpful.

I say "somewhat" because there are always drivers out there that are simply not paying attention.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Great choice of transport, bikes are one of my passions, and its always good to see girls on bikes, where i live theres not rreally that many that do ride.

Just believe that EVERYONE on the road wants to kill you, expect the unexpected, and be extra careful on the daily commute, people seem to drive on autopilot on that as its a journey they make so often so sometimes the concentration level is null & void.

Pic of my bike here.

Enjoy & keep it shiny side up :) cb1000r-1 12.jpg

Everyone is trying to kill you, some more than others. My red flags (any combination of these almost guarantees they will try to kill you);

- Mini vans
- Anyone on their phone.
- Subaru’s. Not the Impreza WRX’s though.
- handicapped license plates.
- Anyone ages 16-19.
- Beat up, barely running cars.

These are just red flags from 24 years of riding.

Always leave it in gear when parking and never park pointed downhill. Watch for gravel when stopping. Make sure your shoe laces cannot get snagged on a foot peg. Practice avoidance & fast stop maneuvers. When someone does try to kill you, just wave. Drive a little faster than the flow traffic. Have a plan, always. Pay attention, always. All the gear, all the time. During the day, leave your headlight on bright. Use your turn indicators and click them off just before turning so you don’t leave them on. The brighter your lights, the better (especially brake light). Good tires make all the difference. Do the maintenance.

I believe the reason people will look right at you and then pull out in front of you is because they are looking for a car/truck/bus. They don’t see one, so they go. A motorcycle doesn’t register.

Derek V

Man there;'s a lot of negativity in here.

Chica take it seriously but have fun,:)
40 years riding and no major issues, I would recommend once you are comfortable on the bike to take DEFENSIVE rider training. and also find a "Track day" event (if there is one in Alaska). You'll learn heaps about cornering and braking from a good "track day".

Congrats and have fun:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hooknswoop

I believe the reason people will look right at you and then pull out in front of you is because they are looking for a car/truck/bus. They don’t see one, so they go. A motorcycle doesn’t register.

Ever see this video test for "Selective Attention"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

It was discussed in this book: https://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-What-Says-About/dp/0307277194
(I give the book a big thumbs-up.)

motorcycles are dangerous! ;)

here's my 2 satoshis -

treat every opportunity to have you off the bike as if it's going to happen

expect a fallen tree or overturned tractor around every bend

if it's all gone to shit, get off the bike, i've cleared the bonnet of a car like that without a scratch.

then of course, loud pipes save lives, the speed limits are just advisories, and wheelies are cool ...

brap on sister!

Bob_Church

***So... you still live in Alaska? What are you gonna do when its too damn cold to ride it 8-9 months of the year? :P:D

And the bug eating the rest of the time?

No windshield on that bike either. She would have had to clean it after every ride anyway. I wouldn't ride up there without a full face helmet. ;)

I haven't made the drive from the mainland US to Alaska, but I've heard the bugs are horrendous. Carry an extra jug of windshield wiper fluid and spare wipers because you'll be washing bug guts off a lot on the drive. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Niiiiiice!!

Congrats and like everyone said: assume everyone is out to KILL you! :S

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

BillyVance

******So... you still live in Alaska? What are you gonna do when its too damn cold to ride it 8-9 months of the year? :P:D

No windshield on that bike either. She would have had to clean it after every ride anyway. I wouldn't ride up there without a full face helmet. ;)

I haven't made the drive from the mainland US to Alaska, but I've heard the bugs are horrendous. Carry an extra jug of windshield wiper fluid and spare wipers because you'll be washing bug guts off a lot on the drive. ;)

If you don't have a full face make sure that you ride with your mouth closed.

Phil1111

*********So... you still live in Alaska? What are you gonna do when its too damn cold to ride it 8-9 months of the year? :P:D

If you don't have a full face make sure that you ride with your mouth closed.

What if you're hungry? Lots of protein out there to be had! :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban