Bob_Church

Auto alert, get your tires rotated

I had a flat tire a couple of days ago and have to replace the tire. They ordered a new rim, long story, and I'm taking my car in tomorrow.
But while I'm at it I'm having the tires rotated. Actually, I told them that they didn't even have to move them, but be sure to take each one off and on.
I was lucky enough to have my flat near a very friendly and helpful guy with a fully equipped garage but I still almost had to have it towed to town. We couldn't get the flat tire off. It took two of us, big hammers, weights on a chain and a lot of words I hadn't used for awhile just to get the tire off.
So remember, sometimes over the years they just sort of weld or glue themselves to the drum. Don't find this out on a two lane road in pouring rain while trying to get home. Like I did.
Another thing to check for is whether or not you can get the lugnuts off. Sometimes your tire will be put on by a bored kid with an air powered wrench and they get carried away. I've had times when it took a breaker bar to get them lose. It's much better to do this when you're home, have the tools, then you can put it back on properly. And always remember to have a word with the employee, too.
I can remember being 14 or 15 and the phone ringing in the middle of the night and one pissed off father on the other end. He had a flat and needed to get it fixed and get going before the Highway Patrol stopped and had him blow into tube. But the kid at Mahoning Tire in Marietta had had his fun. We had to gather up a breaker bar and get over there. Fast.
That was decades ago but I bet that guy remembers when my old man showed up the next day to have a word with him.

I've had the idiots-with-the-impact wrench pull that crap in the past.>:(
For that reason, I would loosen them, and torque them to spec when I got home.

Last time I bought tires (Discount Tire) I was prepared to yell at the guy if if I saw him just hold the impact wrench on until it stopped rotating. But to my pleasant surprise, he pulled out a torque wrench and tightened them with that.:)
And as far as rotating tires, I do that myself.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Good advice. The date of manufacture (week and year) are on most tires now. They are only good for ~5 years, regardless of remaining tread.

Also, check the pressure in your spare tire once a month when you check the pressure in your tires.

Derek V

As a female-type, that's been important to check forever. Once is enough to learn that lesson. But I hadn't thought about just time doing it -- it's been over 20 years since I last had a flat.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

As a female-type, that's been important to check forever. Once is enough to learn that lesson. But I hadn't thought about just time doing it -- it's been over 20 years since I last had a flat.

Wendy P.

There are worse things but it's hard to imagine that at the time.

glh

That was not one of their better idea's

Indeed!
It was after the second one snapped off that a light bulb appeared on over my head:
"Wait a minute! What was it someone once told me about lefthand lug bolts?":D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***That was not one of their better idea's

Indeed!
It was after the second one snapped off that a light bulb appeared on over my head:

Yep, my '63 Valiant. Two snapped off before I realized that it wasn't just corrosion.

ryoder

***That was not one of their better idea's

Indeed!

I snapped one of my lug nut bolts off when I couldn't loosen the nut. Made the mistake of standing on the wrench trying to use my weight. Oops.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I can't even count the number of flats I've had and changed over the years (in the dozens).

Now I have Run Flats, and my tires aren't to be rotated.

It hasn't lessened the number of flats I get, but it does lessen the side of the roadway danger and all-around mess and rigamarole.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

ryoder

I've had the idiots-with-the-impact wrench pull that crap in the past.>:(
For that reason, I would loosen them, and torque them to spec when I got home.

Last time I bought tires (Discount Tire) I was prepared to yell at the guy if if I saw him just hold the impact wrench on until it stopped rotating. But to my pleasant surprise, he pulled out a torque wrench and tightened them with that.:)
And as far as rotating tires, I do that myself.

Just as an FYI, some shops have "torque limiting extensions" aka "torque sticks" and the MO is indeed to hold the impact wrench on until it stops turning. (The torque stick flexes and won't allow torque beyond what it's specified for, at least with an impact wrench where there is a twist and release component; they don't work with a manual wrench; I mean, you can use them that way, but they just become a regular extension at that point).

I bought tires at a shop that didn't use the final hand-torque wrench to the special locking lug on each wheel. They just applied the impact gun which apparently limits the touque to below what is needed, which is reasonable when using a torque wrench after. However they claim that the locking lug adapter isn't strong enough to withstand the final torque, so they don't do it on the locking lug-they don't want it to break.

Seems complete bullshit to me, that the adapter would be designed to not be strong enough, and they didn't even tell me about it. I noticed it because I took my lug wrench to each wheel just to confirm that I felt they were adequately tight.

Has anyone run into this before?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Not that specifically, but cars aren't perfect (#recalls), and stuff like adapters may be built by a different company or after market. All it takes is for a mechanic to have broken one (maybe unlucky, maybe Chinese crap, maybe not OEM) and then have to go through the headache of replacing it for an angry customer to say "welp, I'm not doing that again."

I never use locking lugs anyway, they are just a pain and the one time I changed a tire with them the adapter kept slipping off (while I was in the rain on the side of the interstate). And maybe if you live in a sketchy place and have expensive fancy rims they could get stolen; but living in GA, FL, and NC my whole life I have never had one of mine stolen or known anyone who has had a rim stolen. If I had $2,000 spinners ok maybe I would put a locking lug on them, but nobody wants my 10 year old factory Honda rims, they are alloy though :ph34r: I get the feeling this was more of a 1970's/80's crime wave problem.

Not to mention, if someone is serious about stealing rims, I've never seen a locking lug that a "easy out" type socket wouldn't take care of. And from what a mechanic friend told me, a sacrificial 12 point socket, just use one a hair too small, hammer it onto the lug, and you're all set (he's had to remove a lot for folks that lost the adapter or used cars with a missing adapter that came into the dealership he works at).

I had a car stolen in the early 90s. It had locking nuts on the rims. Of course I kept the key in the glove box in case I got a flat tire, so you can guess how many wheels were still on the car when the cops found it a couple days later. At least they didn't damage the bolts getting the nuts off.

- Dan G

Hooknswoop

Also, check the pressure in your spare tire once a month when you check the pressure in your tires.

Derek V

You might just discover you don't have a spare tire.

We owned my wife's new car for an embarrassingly long time before I checked and discovered we only had an OEM fix-a-flat kit. I've since put a tire in its place.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving