Bob_Church

Good news and bad news for kids in cave

ZigZagMarquis

Now let the blame and finger pointing and who's going to pay for the rescue effort flail-x begin!

... if it hasn't already.

:P

Let's not forget the inevitable "why did we run stories about it constantly?"

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/07/10/627738100/did-we-care-more-about-the-boys-in-the-cave-than-other-kids-in-crisis

Why ask us, you were the ones running them.
I think it's a lot like skydiving. People can relate. Or hope we get hurt. Maybe both. The pilots with their expensive airplanes risk their lives doing acrobatics while people just sit there and eat their ice cream, but when they hear we're going to jump they run up and lean on the fence to get a good look.

Some background on one of the kids, and the coach.
Apparently, only the one kid spoke English.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/adul-samon-14-played-a-crucial-role-in-thai-rescue-mission/news-story/c67e69230431f4450c0e6fb6535df44b?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Bob_Church

Elon Musk is really showing his ass on this. I think some of the things he's saying are going to haunt him for a long time.

His head is getting bigger and bigger all the time. Like many successful tycoons he is turning out to be an asshole. Almost like a rock star with too many groupies.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

>Let's not forget the inevitable "why did we run stories about it constantly?"

Simple answer - because people read them. Look at the attention this thread has gotten.

"the boy who fell down the well" stories have been leading for a few hundred years now, so I'm not surprised by the media's attention to it. The story has:

1) an emotional story (kids in peril; families anguished)
2) an unusual story (cave rescues are relatively novel and not well understood)
3) good optics (pictures of trapped kids, pictures of minisubs and compressors)
4) the possibility of a good outcome (rescue)
5) but only if everyone gets together (i.e. publicity helps)

That's lacking in most other stories. The ferry disaster? Everyone is already dead by the time the news comes out. Separating kids at the border? Not much possibility of a good outcome. Syrian refugees at risk? Hard to see a solution there, and it's just going to get worse. Shooting deaths in the US? Nothing new; no good optics.

But a boy falls down a well? Or kids are trapped somewhere? They have most of the above.

">Let's not forget the inevitable "why did we run stories about it constantly?"

Simple answer - because people read them. Look at the attention this thread has gotten. "

Yes, we know. That's my point. Now they're going to explain this to us, like we're too stupid to already know. Anything to fill those annoying gaps between commercials.

Iago

***Does anyone here know what actually happened to the diver who died? Did it just take much longer to exit the flooded parts than he'd expected? Or gear trouble?

Nothing official, and unless an autopsy can show a medical reason anything else will be speculation. If he was wearing a dive computer there may be some data there that can clear it up from 'totally black' to 'heavily murky.'

Thanks, I was wondering if they'd announced anything and I'd just missed it.

wolfriverjoe

******Newest bad news: The portion of the cave they are trapped in is running out of oxygen.

If they do come up with a system for getting them out one at a time I wonder if they'll even bother bringing out the coach. He'll have a short life in there, but maybe a longer one than if the parents get their hands on him.

Where are you getting the idea that the coach is being blamed by anyone (parents, authorities, ect). I haven't seen that anywhere.

You definitely called this one correctly. I'd have never believed this sort of attitude still existed in the world. Almost gives you hope, doesn't it?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/thailand-cave-rescue-father-of-youngest-survivor-describes-how-team-became-trapped/

DJL

I'll have to watch that later, I wonder if they're going to include the part where Elon Musk thinks he's Tony Stark.

They never mentioned Musk.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.